multiroom audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-01-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am beginning to consider multiroom audio for my home, and I have lots of old speakers and amps to make a test run at it. The simple design for now would be one audio source (basically random music) always playing, and you can turn on speakers when/where needed. What I would like is a way to shut the amp off if no speakers are on. Is it possible, necessary? Or do you just leave the amp always on? Sorry for the newbie questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-01-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Your best bet is really get something like a Nuvo essentia or sonos. Using old receivers does not work well. Old amps you still need a control piece. But you hit the nail on the head you could try using a universal rf remote but if they stay on they will just suck power.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #3 of 6 Old 06-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

If audio only is your thing take a good look at Sonos. Unless your amps have an auto sense feature you will have to manually turn them on and off... Then the whole control issue as mentioned... If any of your amps have the auto sense then a Sonos connect would work fine, via their mesh network or WiFi you control the volume and sources.

How many zones/rooms are you looking to have audio in? Do you have a budget in mind? Does you home have any existing wiring to utilize? What do you plan to listen too, e.g. iPod, music server, internet radio, CD, Pandora...?
post #4 of 6 Old 06-02-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I used a single AVR for 6 zones, for a few years, and I was quite happy with it.

I wanted keypads with metadata, so I upgraded to Nuvo - but it was a lot of work to retrofit.

Sonos is the easiest for retrofit, but Nuvo has had some sort of wireless system in the works for the last year or so. You might want to explore that.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 6 Old 06-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Squeezebox is another viable option. I'm thinking of getting one and using the digital output into my main system and the analog for another zone. My AVR only runs the second zone on analog inputs and I've got everything digital right now. The app to use an iphone or ipad to control the squeezebox is supposed to be really good.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-08-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I used a single AVR for 6 zones, for a few years, and I was quite happy with it.

I wanted keypads with metadata, so I upgraded to Nuvo - but it was a lot of work to retrofit.

Sonos is the easiest for retrofit, but Nuvo has had some sort of wireless system in the works for the last year or so. You might want to explore that.

Using a AVR for 6 zones is really riskey you really need to know what you are doing with ohm loades and the the cability of the AVR ot to not burn it out. Putting in the Nuvo should of been a piece of cake both Nuvo and Sonus should be equally as easy the only thing Nuvo has that may make it more difficulte is the keypads if you want them, but I love keypads on my wall is so much more convient than logging in through my iphone every time and my kids can use it that don't have phones or loose the ipad. Also if you do a Music port it is much nicer than the Sonus and set up is easer and more reliable by far! I don't know how may calls I get on Sonus becuase people itunes or network is screwed up. Anyhow both are great systems and I install both all the time. Sonus is cheaper if you are doing under 4 zones then it starts to become a tie price wise. The real question is price and if you want keypads.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page