"wireless" home audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-03-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi , i just moved in to a new house in which we have 5 speakers in one room , and 2 speakers in another room , i wanted to know what do i need if i want to use all of the speakers at once , or just one room at a time. The speakers are not that far away , but the house was pre wired and i dont want to make a mess. I dont have any kind of home audio receiver , home theater, or any equipment , so please, what do i need for this to workout??

Thanks

P.S I was considering the rocketfish rocketboost wireless hd audio starter kit will this do the job?? anything else i need? , or is there a better solution??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-03-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 343
If the speakers in the other room are wired to the same location as the 5.1 system, you can use any A/V Receiver with "Zone 2" support. A good AVR will have a "powered" Zone 2 (either a dedicated pair of amp channels, or an assignable one - 7.1 or 5.1+Zone2).

If the wires for the 2nd zone go "somewhere else", I'd recommend a Sonos Connect:Amp.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 9 Old 06-04-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

the wires of the 2nd zone go somewhere else , i like your suggestion , i would also need an av receiver? or how does this works?? it also seems a bit expensive , is there any cheaper solution??

Thanks
post #4 of 9 Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariog70 View Post

the wires of the 2nd zone go somewhere else , i like your suggestion , i would also need an av receiver? or how does this works?? it also seems a bit expensive , is there any cheaper solution??

If you want a surround sound setup in your main room, you'll need an A/V Receiver. "Receiver" is an old audio term which meant an amplifier, pre-amplifier (mostly a source selector and volume control, but refers to the phono stage) and an AM/FM tuner - all wrapped into one box. Good AVR's without the second zone can be had for <$200...

If the wires for the 2nd zone go somewhere else, you'll need both an amp to drive the speakers and some source(s) for something to listen to. A Sonos Connect:Amp would do both very well. An inexpensive stereo-only (2-channel) AV Receiver and a CD player or iPod would work, too.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 9 Old 06-06-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

375 375
Thanks a lot for the help ,since i am on a tight budget and the so i was asking in other forums about the rocketfish hd audio wireless kit , this is the room with 5 speakers and the green arrow shows where the wires come out for this speakers( there wont be a tv there anymore) , what i thought could be a cheap solution , maybe set the a/v receiver in this room with the rocketfish transmitter, and in the other room i could hook up the 2 other speakers to the rocketfish receiver , what do you think??? I like a lot the sonos , but would it also give me the option to play the same music on both zones??? and how many speakers can it handle?

Thanks
post #6 of 9 Old 06-06-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariog70 View Post

Thanks a lot for the help ,since i am on a tight budget and the so i was asking in other forums about the rocketfish hd audio wireless kit , this is the room with 5 speakers and the green arrow shows where the wires come out for this speakers( there wont be a tv there anymore)

So the 5 speakers are all in the walls (some very low???), but arranged for what appears to be background audio, not surround sound, correct?
Quote:
What i thought could be a cheap solution , maybe set the a/v receiver in this room with the rocketfish transmitter, and in the other room i could hook up the 2 other speakers to the rocketfish receiver , what do you think??? I like a lot the sonos , but would it also give me the option to play the same music on both zones??? and how many speakers can it handle?

The Rocketfish kit moves audio from one place to another with an amp at the "receive" end. But you still need something to send. What's your music source? That's why I suggested the Sonos units. Amp/wireless and digital music / Internet streaming in one box.

And yes, you can set up multiple Sonos units to play in sync, or they can play separate streams.

Jeff
mariog70 likes this.

post #7 of 9 Old 06-06-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yes , the 5 speakers are exactly that , i currently don't have an audio source , could the sonos be it? could i connnect the 5 speakers to it ? , or instead have any a/v receiver and just use and ipod as the source??
post #8 of 9 Old 06-06-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariog70 View Post

Yes , the 5 speakers are exactly that , i currently don't have an audio source , could the sonos be it? could i connnect the 5 speakers to it ? , or instead have any a/v receiver and just use and ipod as the source??

For 5 speakers (which is odd in this arrangement, but will work), any 5.1-capable AVR put into "all channel stereo" would be the easiest. Ipod dock as a source, and many AVRs also have built-in Pandora/Internet Radio. One with Airplay support and you wouldn't need the iPod dock...

Jeff
mariog70 likes this.

post #9 of 9 Old 06-06-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Okay , yeah i know its the arrangement is odd , i think the last owners took the speakers from their home theater and just went willy nilly , but this is what i have to work with at the moment , so i guess you solved my problem Thanks Jeff
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page