Nuvo Concerto? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm looking at picking up a used Nuvo Concerto system from a friend but I can't seem to figure out how to configure the system. Is there a way to obtain the configurator software from Nuvo or would I have to purchase it somewhere? I see a package for sale from Smarthome for $500 but that is more targeted at a technician who is going to sell their services, I am just looking to configure it for my home use. I sent an email to Nuvo support asking them but I figured maybe others here had been successful?

Also the Nuvo system I'm looking at comes with the NV-18DDSP keypads. Is it possible for me to use some of the newer keypads with the concerto system? Or how about the iPhone app interface? On their website they list these as accessories for the concerto but I wasn't sure if there were certain versions that they worked with.

Also I'm curious about firmware/software updates as well, are their any and how would I access the updates?

I am looking for a cheap way to enable my pre-wired home with whole-home audio. I have plans to do a more complete a/v distribution later on but the first step is a whole home audio. I haven't thought through everything yet but I am thinking about using an Airport Express to feed iTunes audio into the system...unfortunately I would have to use the remote app and I would loose control with keypads...still figuring everything out

Thanks in advance!

Justin

Oh and the unit I'm thinking of purchasing is the NV-I8DM, I see now that the one of their website is I8GM so I suspect there is a significant difference between the two...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodeuno View Post

So I'm looking at picking up a used Nuvo Concerto system from a friend but I can't seem to figure out how to configure the system. Is there a way to obtain the configurator software from Nuvo or would I have to purchase it somewhere?

Yes, the software is available. There was a post here recently from someone that was given a link to it by NuVo Tech Support.

Quote:

I see a package for sale from Smarthome for $500 but that is more targeted at a technician who is going to sell their services, I am just looking to configure it for my home use. I sent an email to Nuvo support asking them but I figured maybe others here had been successful?

I assume this is the "IR Learning Station". You only need that if you had some component you wanted to control from the keypads, and it wasn't already in the Configurator database. Very unlikely you'd need this - mostly because most folks aren't controlling things like CD players through these systems any more... Most are using the streaming/digital music servers which are supported natively.

Quote:

Also the Nuvo system I'm looking at comes with the NV-18DDSP keypads. Is it possible for me to use some of the newer keypads with the concerto system? Or how about the iPhone app interface? On their website they list these as accessories for the concerto but I wasn't sure if there were certain versions that they worked with.

No, the newer keypads require the Grand Concerto. The iPhone app requires the music server. Not sure if the music server (and therefore the app) will work on the Concerto. But frankly, if you get so far as to buy the server, you'll want the GC anyway.

Quote:

Also I'm curious about firmware/software updates as well, are their any and how would I access the updates?

Concerto doesn't get updated anymore. But all NuVo products get their firmware updates via the Configuration SW.

Quote:

I am looking for a cheap way to enable my pre-wired home with whole-home audio. I have plans to do a more complete a/v distribution later on but the first step is a whole home audio. I haven't thought through everything yet but I am thinking about using an Airport Express to feed iTunes audio into the system...unfortunately I would have to use the remote app and I would loose control with keypads...still figuring everything out

How many zones? You might be better off with a small number of Sonos Connect:Amp units - NuVo also has a similar system "coming soon".

Quote:

Oh and the unit I'm thinking of purchasing is the NV-I8DM, I see now that the one of their website is I8GM so I suspect there is a significant difference between the two...

G = "Grand". Big difference...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the information...that was very helpful.

I saw the thread you mentioned but the link seemed to be dead but maybe I was looking at the wrong link.

With regards to your question:
How many zones? I have every room in my house wired with speakers already so I think that is about 16 zones total But I was going to start with 8 or so...they are all going back to a central location. I will give the Sonos a look!
post #4 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're looking at a potential of up to 16 zones in the future, bite the bullet on a Grand Concerto instead of starting with a Concerto or something else smaller. GC supports 6 zones easily, 8 with an add-on amps, and is expandable to 16 zones. Coupled with an MPS4 / Elite server, it's a really good setup...

(for the record, I have one, too)

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I also have the Nuvo GC and mps4 music server. Great setup.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I also have the Nuvo GC and mps4 music server. Great setup.

I do as well. I bought the MPS4 as a luxury, but it's almost a must. 98% of what we play on the GC comes from it. Sirius, Pandora, our own MP3's, etc... all with full metadata support. I love it like a child.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
MPS4 is my only source component for my Nuvo GC. Provides 4 streams, good enough for a family of 5.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #8 of 10 Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Ha, my other two sources are:

-Airport Express (used to make 'announcements' etc... with HA system)

-CD Player, which is connected for two very good reasons - 1: I had a spare old CD Player. 2: I had an input remaining on the GC biggrin.gif

(However, as an exercise in having time to kill... I DID get the Nuvo to control the the CD Player through the IR port, despite not having the IR Learner station. I found the hex codes for the player on remotecentral or something and you can actually paste them into the GC configuration utility. I was (and still am) amazed that it actually works).
post #9 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 07:01 PM

So does anyone know where or how to get the configurator software? I have the Nuvo Essentia system and tried to login to the "Prozone" site. Seems it does not exist anymore. I guess Nuvo is really trying to weed out the DIYers. Here is the link that used to work: http://www.nuvotechnologies.com/prozone.htm

I have the original Nuvo Musicport ( I still have issues with this device; I was getting help from Autonomic but now they defer to Nuvo whenever I ask questions and Nuvo just ignores me.

Nuvo: great hardware.....lousy service.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-16-2012, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiteclub View Post

So does anyone know where or how to get the configurator software? I have the Nuvo Essentia system and tried to login to the "Prozone" site. Seems it does not exist anymore. I guess Nuvo is really trying to weed out the DIYers. Here is the link that used to work: http://www.nuvotechnologies.com/prozone.htm
I have the original Nuvo Musicport ( I still have issues with this device; I was getting help from Autonomic but now they defer to Nuvo whenever I ask questions and Nuvo just ignores me.
Nuvo: great hardware.....lousy service.

Yeah, Autonomic is *supposed* to be working on an update to the Mirage SW, I've had some long-standing open issues with them, too. Mine works as long as I have the machine schedule a reboot every few days (as one of their services crashes whenever a Windows Update / Security Center update executes). I've thought about buying the MPS4 just to get back into the mainstream product, but kinda expect them to announce something new this year (CEDIA?).

The Prozone changed, but email Tech Support - they should give you a login to use to gain access to the software. I'm surprised that their new website doesn't even have the product manuals on it any more... The GC software hasn't changed much...

Jeff

Theater build photos:

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page