2 sources, 1 set of in-ceiling speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-04-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have a set of Polk 6.5” in ceiling speakers in my master bedroom. Moving backwards from them, they are currently hooked up via the pre-wire in my house to an in-wall volume control. The pre-wires go to the living room where they are connected to a speaker selector, then Onkyo M-282 amp, then to the Zone 2 output of my AVR. I am replacing the AVR in the living room (new one is Onkyop TX-NR709) and plan on taking the old AVR (HK-AVR645) and putting it in the master bedroom. I would like to hook the in-ceiling speakers up to the AVR in the master bedroom, but still have the option of using them with the Zone 2 source from the living room.

What are my options? I am thinking that I could put speaker-level inputs from both sources to a source switch that then tie into the in-wall volume controller and then the speakers. But since I will be using the bedroom AVR as the primary source it seems silly to have to run the signal through the in-wall volume controller. Could I put the source switch after the in-wall volume control?

What about a speaker level to line level converter? Run the Zone 2 speaker wires to a converter, then connect to the bedroom AVR with RCA cable? This could get rid of the in-wall volume control and the bedroom AVR could control the volume.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Are you able to run wires to that volume control location? I think Niles has a gang-box style A/B speaker selector.

And no, you don't need that volume control as long as you have some way to adjust volume remotely (RF remote?).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 6 Old 06-06-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can get to the wires for the in-wall volume control switch pretty easy. I dont currently have an RF remote to control the volume of Zone 2.

I read about the Niles ABA-1D, and on Crutchfield it talks about switching between 2 sources for 1 set of speakers, but in the product manual it doesnt. If I could run one source from the volume control and the AVR in the bedroom as the other source through the Niles switch, I think that would work.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoppmann View Post

I read about the Niles ABA-1D, and on Crutchfield it talks about switching between 2 sources for 1 set of speakers, but in the product manual it doesnt. If I could run one source from the volume control and the AVR in the bedroom as the other source through the Niles switch, I think that would work.

It's just a switch, so you connect the amps up to the switched side, and the speakers to the "common" side... Just the reverse as if you had one amp to run two sets of speakers.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 6 Old 06-06-2012, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Be very careful using a switch made for one amp and two sets of speakers. Many switches are "shorting" meaning they do not break one circuit before making the next. You could end up routing the output of one amp to the output of the other momentarily while making the switch.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-06-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The Niles switch is built specifically for this purpose - but good point about not using a generic switch for this purpose without ensuring it's a "break before make" type...

Couldn't find the manual on the Niles site, but Smarthome is always good about having them online:

http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/6740wh.pdf

Jeff

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page