Whole House Audio in Theater room? Same Speaker, 2 sources? Speaker Sharing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to potentially 'share' a couple of my theater speakers with my whole house audio system, rather than having to install additional speaker just for the WHA.

It would be great to hear about how people are getting whole house audio into a room with a surround theater system in it. Do you add more speakers specifically for the whole house audio, or do you make some arrangement to utilize (share) some of the existing theater speakers for the WHA when the theater system isn't being used?

I have been pointed to some speaker selectors, and one (Niles ABS-1) works automatically by sensing signal. Hands off operation is what I would prefer here. Other ideas/thoughts?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 340
The speaker selector is one approach, either a signal sense, or use a 12V triggered one (trigger on whichever side has a trigger available - probably the theater gear).

The other approach is to take a zone line output (fixed) and feed it to an input on your theater's AVR. You'll be able to use all the speakers and power available as you wish. I do this with my family room system - one of the whole house zones is fed to the AVR so I can use the higher power but keep the audio in sync with the rest of the house...

Actually I feed both directions using a MuxLab Quad Audio balun (cat5 run between the family room and the wiring closet where the WHA system resides). So I can pump whatever is being used in the family room to the whole house, or vice versa...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. That sounds like one good approach.

On a related issue, should I run an extra cat5 from the A/V closet to all my major rooms for the option of carrying audio? Should it be shielded cat5?
post #4 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahatte View Post

On a related issue, should I run an extra cat5...

Yes. Sorry, didn't read the rest of the sentence... biggrin.gif

Having more cat5e is always a good idea. Are you under construction or is this some retrofit work? If you're pre-wiring, there's a lot of cat5e in your future...
Quote:
Should it be shielded cat5?

No.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 7 Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

It is a major remodel, so all studs exposed in many areas.

I did purchase 1000ft of sheilded cat5e prior to knowing otherwise, but I'm using that for keypads, so I hope that won't be a problem.

Thanks.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-13-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would avoid thoes spealer selectors unless sound quality is not a big concern. If you have nice speakers don't use them if you are using ok speakers, zip cord for speaker wire then it should work ok. Realyy I would sugest just feeding into a line in in your receiver but then you need some sort of whole house system that is smart enought to turn on the receiver to the right input and control the volume. This way you can also pump music out of all yout speakers and subs.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #7 of 7 Old 06-13-2012, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a similiar question earlier. I decided to try runnung a long (100') RCA from my main AVR Zone 2 out to the AVR in my master bedroom. Its too hot here in Phoenix to be up in the attic for very long so I havent finished it yet.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1413822/2-sources-1-set-of-in-ceiling-speakers
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page