Need help with HDMI splitter or switch or matrix selection for setup. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-14-2012, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for advice for the most efficient solution to my problem.

What I want to be able to do is have multiple sources go to multiple destinations.

Currently I have 2 destinations. A Mitsubishi HC4000 DLP projector. And an insignia LCD tv. Both support 1080p. The projector is in my home theaterish living room. and the tv is in the bedroom. I intend to add at least one more monitor for my office/computer desk setup.

My current sources are my PC/HTPC with a GTX 570. A PS3. a WII. and various other equipment. I plan to possibly add an Oppo blu ray player and maybe an Xbox 360 and likely the Wii U when its available.

I have a wildcard in my setup that is my Denon AVR 3312CI. It has 2 HDMI outs.

I want all sources to be able to play on any destination at any given time without all destinations having to be on ( which is something i have read regarding various HDMI spliiters). My first thought was to buy some 1x4 HDMI splitters and place them at each source and then route to the various destinations. I have thought about this a lot and I don't see a way to do what I want without using this method, but that's why I am posting here.

an example setup would be like this:

HTPC to HDMI splitter. Output 1 of splitter to Denon AVR. Output 2 of splitter to TV in bedroom. Denon AVR to Mitsubishi HC4000 projector.

PS3 to HDMI splitter. Output 1 of splitter to Denon AVR. Output 2 of splitter to TV in bedroom. Denon AVR to Mitsubishi HC4000 projector.

Some might wonder why not use the receiver to do this, since it has 2 HDMI outs. Well I seem to have all sorts of problems with HDCP. Also If the receiver is on, only picture will be passed through to the tv not audio.

Another option I am considering is just purchasing 1 1x4 HDMI splitter and splitting the main output of the AVR but in my head I seem to think that would cause all kinds of issues.

I would appreciate any input offered.

I have been looking at all of Monoprice.com's various options and I am sure I can find the solution, I just need to find the best and most cost effective one.

Also, from what I can gather, as long as the HDMI splitter is considered a "display" things should go pretty smoothly.

Please remember that I want to be able to operate my devices potentially one at a time, or even all at the same time, if possible.

UPDATE 1:

Some of the products I have looked into are:

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20matrix%20switch%204x4.html

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011307&p_id=8159&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011307&p_id=7618&seq=1&format=4#feedback

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011307&p_id=7972&seq=1&format=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
You need a 4x2 matrix switch (4 inputs to your 2 outputs, independent of each other). Any "issues" with HDMI are going to show up whether you use splitters or a matrix, it won't make things better or worse. Think about your other sources - do you really want to reflect all the gaming consoles to another room? Keep your "shared" sources at 4 or less to avoid having to purchase an expensive switch, or having the complexity of multiple inexpensive 4x2 ones...

And you really couldn't use your receiver for this, anyway - the HDMI #2 is the same output as #1 - they're not independent outputs. It's meant for dual-screen setups (TV + projector).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 9 Old 06-16-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

your response is appreciated. Aside from potentially simplifying things, is a matrix always the best option? The reason I ask is because going that route I will have pretty much a single point of failure. Also a 4x2 matrix is out of the question. Yes, currently I only have 2 monitors but I would like a third if I can get my distribution all figured out. As far as splitting all the consoles goes, that's exactly what i want to be doing. Sure I don't need to but I want to and I don't need to be doing any of this. So of course if I can get everything running the way I want then I will. Still, in my mind I seem to think I would have less problems running individual HDMI splitters rather than a 4x4 HDMI matrix. But I haven't ever dealt with a matrix so I can't be sure. I'd like to restate that I want the ability to operate the devices independently and possibly at the same time, it will just depend on the situations. To me, with just having a 4x4 matrix, it seems that the switching on or off a device could inject a HDCP issue. Again, I don't have a matrix so I am just guessing.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-16-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal316 View Post

your response is appreciated. Aside from potentially simplifying things, is a matrix always the best option?

Best option for what? Connecting multiple sources to multiple displays with independent control? Yes.
Quote:
The reason I ask is because going that route I will have pretty much a single point of failure.

True, but not like you can't reconnect a few sources around it to limp along until you replace something. We're not talking mission critical setups... Matrix will be more reliable than a bunch of splitters and HDMI cables everywhere.
Quote:
Also a 4x2 matrix is out of the question. Yes, currently I only have 2 monitors but I would like a third if I can get my distribution all figured out.

Then get a 4x4...
Quote:
As far as splitting all the consoles goes, that's exactly what i want to be doing. Sure I don't need to but I want to and I don't need to be doing any of this. So of course if I can get everything running the way I want then I will.

How are you going to use the gaming consoles in the other rooms? You should try out the game controllers in all those spaces with the console(s) located where they will sit, and see if they're in range - otherwise, not going to do much good to send the signals...
Quote:
Still, in my mind I seem to think I would have less problems running individual HDMI splitters rather than a 4x4 HDMI matrix. But I haven't ever dealt with a matrix so I can't be sure. I'd like to restate that I want the ability to operate the devices independently and possibly at the same time, it will just depend on the situations. To me, with just having a 4x4 matrix, it seems that the switching on or off a device could inject a HDCP issue. Again, I don't have a matrix so I am just guessing.

You'll have the exact same HDMI issues in a collection of splitters and switches as you will with a matrix - it's not those components that generally cause the issues - it's the sources and display communicating with each other. Collection of a bunch of parts and all the extra cabling connections, as opposed to an engineered switch is definitely going to be less reliable...

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 9 Old 06-17-2012, 01:28 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IR3KBG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0016ZWRT0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1MFS1PK74FM0BSE4TSTA

One way to do it.
As Jeff says you want to keep this simple and not complicate things with extra parts and interconnections.

Controlling the games is another issue and not really one easily overcome.

Ed
post #6 of 9 Old 06-21-2012, 05:35 PM

I'm going to tag onto this conversation as I'm looking to do the same thing. My biggest concern is the distance between my AV Closet (sources) and the TVs. The living room TV is about 20 feet away (HDMI will work) but the master bedroom is probably just over 100 feet away. HDMI won't travel that distance. With the aforementioned product (Vanco 4x4), what's the best way to take my HDMI signal to CAT5e and back to HDMI?

The leading contender is this: http://www.intelix.com/products/digihdmi4x4.htm. I can use the twisted pair outputs coupled with their DIGI-HD converters that will put it back to HDMI. At about $1700, I would prefer a cheaper solution.

And to complicate things, I want to add a whole house audio system. I'll most likely setup 5.1 in the living room and use Sonos connect as an alternate source to my amp. Then, for the other zones, I'll grab a few sonos amps and connect them to my speakers.

Any suggestions on the matrix or any suggestions/thoughts on my whole home A/V system is greatly appreciated. My condo isn't finished until March of next year but I'd like to get an idea of what is required sooner than later.

Much appreciated!
post #7 of 9 Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishmerake View Post

I'm going to tag onto this conversation as I'm looking to do the same thing. My biggest concern is the distance between my AV Closet (sources) and the TVs. The living room TV is about 20 feet away (HDMI will work) but the master bedroom is probably just over 100 feet away. HDMI won't travel that distance. With the aforementioned product (Vanco 4x4), what's the best way to take my HDMI signal to CAT5e and back to HDMI?

If it's just one display that's far away, just use a decent HDMI extender (I'd vote for the HDBaseT products, Monoprice has one for ~$200) for that one output, and keep to the less expensive matrix.
Quote:
And to complicate things, I want to add a whole house audio system. I'll most likely setup 5.1 in the living room and use Sonos connect as an alternate source to my amp. Then, for the other zones, I'll grab a few sonos amps and connect them to my speakers.

Keep those discussions separate... You can feed the video sources from your distribution setup to an AVR in the 'zone' for 5.1 as needed. Whole house audio systems are generally 2-channel anyway. If you co-locate all the gear at the head-end, you can share sources. For example, my DirecTV receivers are located in a rack with the video matrix and the whole house audio system. The audio output from the DirecTV boxes goes to both of them. So I can listen to the "TV audio" in any of my audio zones...

Jeff

post #8 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 01:14 PM

I second what Jeff is saying. I have had a 4x4 matrix for a few years now and it has served me well.

I have all my AV Gear in a closet outside my Media Room with AC ducted in to keep it cool. This closet holds my PS3, Apple TV3, Media PC and a DTV Reciever. I control the AV gear via a Logtech Harmony Link using my iPad or Iphone. I then distribute these sources to all the TVs in the house via the Matrix. Depending on the location of the TV I may use the Matrix as by primary means of signal or may use something local to the TV. For instance my Projector in the Media Room uses the matrix 100% where as the TV in my Family Room has its own DTV receiver and it has a connection to the Matrix via a second HDMI cable.

For the long HDMI runs I have had plenty of luck with these devices. The big advantage to me is they only required 1 cat5/6 cable. Most require 2. http://www.altex.com/HDMI-Extender-by-Cat5-Cable-HHEX6-P149021.aspx

As far as whole home sound, I just put all TVs on the same source like iTunes on my AppleTV and now every room has the same sound, and each room has its own volume control (via the TV sound system in each room) The sound quality will depend on the sound bar/speakers at each tv, but sure beats any fancy whole
home system on top of the matrix.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 11:36 PM

Liked: 11
Snap av has a 4x4 matrix with hdmi output only and a 4x4 with hdmi and cat5e/6 output simultaneously. They work very well, have drivers for Control4, Crestron etc and ir codes for universal remotes etc. The matrix has edid memory, meaning you can tell it what you want it to be set to, I.e. have all outputs 1080p picture and 2ch audio or 1080i and 5.1 surround, whichever you need

I think the 4x4 with hdmi retails for 999.00 and the one with cat5e out retails for a little more. The 4x4 with cat5e output, you have to get the balun that puts it back from cat5e to hdmi, which is made for that matrix.

Also that matrix can actually be a 4x8 as the hdmi output and cat5e output are both on at same time. On the 4x8 there are four outputs; for example output 1 will show the same source on hdmi and cat5e at same time, then output 2 can show another source on its hdmi output and cat5e output and same with output 3 and 4

It's getting great reviews by dealers using it. They also make an 8x8 with hdmi only and an 8x8 with hdmi and cat5e/6 output
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Matrix , Lcd Hdtv , Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Playstation 3 160gb System , Denon , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver , Microsoft Xbox , Monoprice
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page