Simple Receiver for Sonos - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These days the only audio sources I use are from the cable box, DVD player, or Apple TV 2. I want to ditch my current setup, which is a giant Denon w/ 2001 monolith-style Boston Acoustic tower speakers, for a Sonos.

After doing a lot of research, it seems my ideal setup would be a DAC converter for the Apple TV's optical audio output, with all three devices going into a cheap receiver which can then send its output to the Sonos' analog line input.

Has anyone tried this kind of setup? Does anyone see any flaws in this approach?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Is this for a TV setup or an audio-only (2-channel) setup? What's this new receiver supposed to be doing for you - why feed a receiver to Sonos when you could feed a Sonos:Connect to a receiver as a source instead? Then lose the external DAC and just hook everything to a receiver.

Setting everything up as you describe will only get you 2-channel audio from all sources, and use a relatively small amplifier in the Sonos:Amp unit. And you're only using the receiver for source switching...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 05:17 PM

Assuming you'e only interested in stereo sound:

Is it important to be able to actually switch between the Apple TV, DVD and cable box (do you turn off the cable box when not watching TV?)? If not, how about just using a cheap audio mixer to sum those channels and then send the output of the mixer into your sonos unit.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Do you have an example of what you mean by an audio mixer?

I was looking at this unit on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MBUSD6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A34FFV8YYDM571

What I like about that is it gives me radio and phono if I ever decide to get a record player again.

I looked at the Sonos:Connect but it only has one input channel. Another aspect of this is we're moving to a smaller place and I don't want to keep my big speakers anymore.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudeballs View Post

I looked at the Sonos:Connect but it only has one input channel. Another aspect of this is we're moving to a smaller place and I don't want to keep my big speakers anymore.

Which Sonos unit are you thinking about, then? One of the self-contained Play models? Otherwise, what you do for speakers is a completely independent choice...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

I was looking at the Play:5, and also a Play:3 for the kitchen. Play 5 takes a line in, so I was going to use the monitor out from the Sherwood for that.

The audio mixer idea is pretty intriguing, though I'd like to have a remote to be able to switch inputs easily.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudeballs View Post

I was looking at the Play:5, and also a Play:3 for the kitchen. Play 5 takes a line in, so I was going to use the monitor out from the Sherwood for that.
The audio mixer idea is pretty intriguing, though I'd like to have a remote to be able to switch inputs easily.

The idea behind the audio mixer is that you do NOT switch inputs. All inputs are active at all times. I have done just that (not using a mixer though, just passive channel summer cables I made myself) for playing back the output of one of my Sonos Connects in the living room (that has got a 5.1 setup).

This does of course, in my case, mean that if one is watching a movie and starts playing back music on the living room sonos zone, you'll hear both sources (movie + sonos) at the same time. I did however think it was easier to just stop the movie or music in that zone than switching between inputs.

If you have an "always on" cable box or something this will of course not work as smoothly.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page