Prewired home question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-19-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. Stumbled onto this website in a quest to understand what will later be my new house.

What I do know. The house is prewired to a Honeywell Distribution Panel. Almost every room in the house is prewired with Coax, Cat5e, telephone, and another jack similar to Coax (satellite?).

In the Distrib Panel there are 5 modules. Coax Distribution Module MDC-108, Combo Distribution Module MDC- 8T8RJ, (2) Patch Module MDP, and a Telephone Distribution Module MDT-8RJ.

What I am trying to accomplish in the new house setup. I would like to have Cable (Cox Communication) in select rooms, and internet/data in select rooms. Everything seems to be prewired so I just need to get the proper path of equipment lined up.

My question relates to the Distrib Panel and it's modules. Since I want data in multiple select rooms I need a Ethernet switch installed in line after the router. Do the DP and modules act as that ethernet switch? Can I take line from Modem => Router => Panel => Module and divide up the data signal? Or do I still need to purchase a separate ethernet switch and attach somewhere.

I have attached a photo of the panel if it helps.

To summarize: Cable signal comes into house. At the panel I plan to split this signal. One for Television, one for internet/data. Television signal goes into panel and gets distributed to various rooms. Data cable signal is is routed to cable modem, then router, then from a port in router into a port in the panel. From module the data signal is divided up among the rooms. Correct?

Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-19-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmartin110 View Post

To summarize: Cable signal comes into house. At the panel I plan to split this signal. One for Television, one for internet/data. Television signal goes into panel and gets distributed to various rooms. Data cable signal is is routed to cable modem, then router, then from a port in router into a port in the panel. From module the data signal is divided up among the rooms. Correct?
Thank you all.

I think you've got it all right!

The "modules" are just passive patch panels. No switches or electronics in them. Exception is the coax distribution panel which contains a splitter. Best practice with cable modems is to split the incoming CATV signal, one half to cable modem, other have to the splitter for TV. You may want an in-line amplifier for the CATV signal after the first split to compensate for the 8-way splitter. But you can wait and see if it's needed. Also, if you're only using a few CATV outlets, bypass that 8-way splitter and just use a 2 or 3-way as needed.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff thanks for the quick reply.

Okay so purchase an ethernet switch and plug it into the panel directly somewhere or am I disconnecting lines from where they currently are and into the ethernet switch? Sorry, I'm just confused. If this panel is a passive patch panel and it does nothing then why have it? Not trying to be a smart arse, just wondering what the previous owners intentions were. Why all the short jumper cables? Be easy on me I'm learning here. Coming from a signal CATV line in the current house and moving into this can be intimidating. Thanks again
post #4 of 5 Old 06-19-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmartin110 View Post

Okay so purchase an ethernet switch and plug it into the panel directly somewhere or am I disconnecting lines from where they currently are and into the ethernet switch?

You see the blue patch cords hanging at the bottom? That's where the Ethernet switch goes! smile.gif If you only need a few Ethernet jacks, you can use the ones on your router. Shove both the router and modem in this box if you want. Note that wireless routers will perform better NOT enclosed in the metal box though... I have modem in the box, the router outside mounted on the wall, which then feeds back into the box. Once in the box, I have an Ethernet switch that's patched to the panel(s).
Quote:
If this panel is a passive patch panel and it does nothing then why have it? Not trying to be a smart arse, just wondering what the previous owners intentions were.

Valid question... The "phone distribution panel" is a splitter - takes the single phone line and creates ~12 plugs to use. The two patch panels modules contain all the jacks in the house. You use a patch cable to connect a jack to a "service". In your case (and for most of us), that's either phone service or Ethernet. The patch panels make it easy to change the usage of the house jacks without tools. In reality, most houses keep their "phone" jacks static (and have them terminated with RJ11s to avoid confusion), and make the Ethernet jacks "live" if they need it in a particular room.
Quote:
Coming from a signal CATV line in the current house and moving into this can be intimidating. Thanks again

This is essentially a "tidy" way of doing what you've already had for CATV and phone. Just adds a lot of flexibility for the future and makes it easy to change stuff around.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 5 Old 06-19-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds good. I'll check back in once things are done. Time to go order some parts.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page