multi-zone volume control - impedence matching?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-22-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I wish to install a speaker pair into three different zones in my home. All zones will be fed from the Zone-2 Speaker Output of my receiver (Denon AVR-2311ci). I do not want a speaker controller/selector at the receiver location - all zones will always have audio available. Each zone will have its own in-wall volume control, with automatic mute (this means each zone will default to MUTE whenever the receiver is switched on). What I want to avoid is a situation where Zone-A and Zone-B are both listening, and if Zone-A is switched to mute, Zone-B suddenly gets louder.

Q: do I need some sort of device at the receiver to split the speaker output into three outputs to feed my three zones, or can I just bind the speaker wires together in parallel? (note: the speakers in each zone are the same impedance, but not the same model of speaker.)
Q: do I need an impedance-matching volume control in each zone, or would a resistor-based control be a better choice? why?

Many thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You can use the impedance control on impedance matching volume controls if you don't want to use a speaker selector.

There is no reason that zone 2 will get louder if you turn the main zone off. But... you have to use a real multi-zone receiver, not one that simply has an "A" and "B" output.

How are you going to have automatic mute?
post #3 of 5 Old 06-23-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Niles makes a volume control with auto mute. It requires a 12v trigger from the receiver. The effect is that all zones managed by one of these volume controls always default to MUTE ON when the reveiver is powered up. Now the neighbours won't get blasted by my patio speakers by accident. Pretty cool idea.

Yes, my receiver does true multi-zone. I may not have explained my 'volume shifting' concern properly. I will power three different areas in my home from the Zone-2 speaker outputs - this means 6 speakers. Here is the scenario: Four speakers are listening to music. Then somebody mutes two of the speakers. Isn't is possible that the other two speakers will now get louder since the receiver is delivering the same power to half the number of speakers?

Thanks for the assistance.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-31-2012, 07:05 PM

I think you won't have a problem with the sound getting a bunch louder, as the room that was "Muted" is still in the system. I have a push button distribution system currently, no volume controls in each location, just the master volume and when I turn zones off, the volume goes up, but in other systems I've installed, the VC in the wall turning on and up or down have not affected any other location.

Your 3 rooms with wall volume controls are always connected to the system, it sees 3 rooms with 8ohm speakers (Or whatever they are), where as with a distribution unit like I have, it actually disconnects the speakers from the Amp and then the resistance it sees goes down and the volume gets louder.

My "Route 66 Basement Theater" Build Thread
post #5 of 5 Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments, realred2. You have made me consider something - it all depends on how the Niles VC does the mute. If it just opens the circuit on the receiver side of the VC, then the receiver would NOT see this room anymore, and the other speakers may get louder. However, if the mute relay opens the circuit on the speaker side of the VC, then the receiver would still see the VC transformer and therefore still 'see' the room. Make sense? I did try to contact Niles on some other technical question, and their response was VERY weak with little value. My question did not make it to an engineer, but rather a first level customer service clerk. Also, they may outsource their customer service since the reply I did get (email) was in extremely poor and broken English - not typical for California.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page