bought a new house -- where to start? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-23-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I recently just bought new (to me) home. It's about 8 years old and doesn't currently have whole home a/v distribution. I want to change that.

I've been reading the forums for a couple week and feel pretty versed in options but I figure I'll list what I'm hoping to accomplish and perhaps others can chime in if they are doing something similar. If it makes sense, I'd prefer to piece together the components myself rather than hire a company to come in and build a turn key system. I'm a pretty technical guy and half the fun is setting up the system myself.

What I'd like to accomplish:

Living Room

Video - TV with source being a D-link Boxee Box
Audio - In ceiling speakers with sources being the Boxee and audio from a JRiver Media Center box

Kitchen

Audio - In ceiling speakers with source being audio from the JRiver Media Center box.

Master Bedroom

Video - TV with source being a D-link Boxee Box
Audio - In ceiling speakers with sources being the Boxee and audio from a JRiver Media Center box

Guest Bedroom

Video - TV with sources being a D-link Boxee Box

Home Theatre

Video - Projector with sources being a blu-ray player and a D-link Boxee Box
Audio - In wall surround setup sources being the above video players (blu-ray and Boxee)

• I want all equipment to be housed in a machine room in the basement.
  • I would run HDMI to each TV and the projector from said machine room
  • I would run speaker wire to each room from machine room
  • I would run a single J-River Media Center PC in the media room with a multi-channel output device (m-audio, presonous etc) which would be used to feed the multiple zones
  • I would run a dedicated HT Receiver for the HT room
  • I would run several Boxee Box units so each room could be watching different content at the same time.

Questions:

1. I assume I need some sort of audio matrix/switcher to switch between video and audio sources for rooms with both audio/video?

2. I need a good multi-channel amp that can feed zones. Any recommendations?

3. I'd like to control everything with Roomie Remotes.

In general -- what are my hardware options and whats the best way to go about wiring this up? I'm lost!

2. Any recommendations on a multi-channel amp to feed each zone?

The Big Bay Home Theater Build Thread
My personal theater build on Kempenfelt Bay, Barrie Ontario Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-14-2012, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to do the exact same thing in my home except I am not sure why you would need a boxee box for each room, if every tv is hooked up to the htpc in the basement via hdmi? If you get a powerful video card it can be hooked up to a bunch of different screens each able to play different content.

If you are a gamer, you might want to hold off for steams upcoming big picture mode which will most likely be a streaming device like other media players except that it will have a gamepad:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/11/steam-big-picture-mode-coming-soon-says-valve/

For sound you could play it through hdmi, and have a digital optical receiver 7.1 surround for your home theatre. If you want speakers for each tv, than I you would probably need some multi channel receiver, not sure how you would play the right sound to the right tv that way though?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page