HTD Lync Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-24-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just installed and configured the 6 zone Lync system from HTD.com.

Summary - Very impressed...works better than I thought.

Installed the system with 6 keypads and seven sets of speakers (one of the zones is pushing 4 speakers--and the amp specifically states it can handle the Ohms). Sounds great....a few comments:

• The remote system where it will route to only to the emitter tied to the source is fantastic for multi DVRs in one closet
  • The intercom works great (can turn "party mode" on to call all zones)
  • MP3 via USB is a bit weak (plays in order, no real control), but it supports 8GB, and as long as you fill it with music you like, it's a good alternative
  • Hooked up a cheap ir-controlled radio so I don't need to tie up a receiver as a source
  • The network control unit (forget the name) is basic. allows for control and naming sources/zones.....but it's very utilitarian.

If I were to do it over again:
  • I'd put the keypads in more natural remote-pointing spots, rather than natural "light switch on the wall" spots. I thought I'd be pressing buttons on the keypad more than aiming a remote....I was wrong.
  • I'd run more IR receiver eyes beside tvs.

Overall quite happy--and excellent value when compared to some of the high end stuff.

...just my $.02 - GST included.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-24-2012, 07:59 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks for the review. I've been eyeing their multi channel amps. How do you find the power of the amp running the speakers? Would you say that you could pump up the volume during party mode and get a nice rich and full sound?
post #3 of 13 Old 06-25-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

The amps are more than enough. We had them cranked up and acoustic issues impacted sound more than the amplifier (speaker's ability, ceiling mounts, hardwood floors & big windows, not all furniture in yet, etc.). At background music levels, they're great.

Outdoors we have a pair of Emotiva UOM-6.2s, and they're mounted more traditionally (L&R about 6 feet off the ground on each side of the deck)......and they rock. Crisp, full sound.... the bylaw officeer will be by before the amp/speakers distort! ;-)

On that note, in general the Emotiva speakers outperformed the monoprice and HTD speakers we bought. We used 7 of the largest Emotiva in-walls in a dedicated theatre (different A/V sources than zones), and when matched with an SVS sub they really impressed me.

The only thing I'm not impressed with is the HTD.com angled speakers (HD-R65AIM). WAF in the great room drove us to use these, and the sound is thin.... Seeing if WAF would allow a sub......

So in my opinion, from best to worst in ceiling/wall/outdoor speakers:
1. Emotiva
2. Monoprice
3. HTD.com

Edit - just wanted to add that with multi amp channels available, you can bi-amp if you happen to want to run some power-hungry towers....just buy a Y-splitter coming off of the controller, and run the same input signal (L) into two of the amp channels....and repeat for (R)...

post #4 of 13 Old 06-25-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Thanks for posting this. I've been eying their stuff for a while now. Should just pull the trigger already. I have a lot of attic access to rooms, so it can't be THAT big of a PITA, can it? biggrin.gifeek.gif

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-25-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

LOL - It was new construction, and we pulled many, many feet of Cat6, RG6 and speaker wire through the house...no attic crawling here! wink.gif

post #6 of 13 Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Bal

Liked: 10
Have you tried the phone app yet for control? Curious as to how well that works.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-12-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quill View Post

Just installed and configured the 6 zone Lync system from HTD.com.
Summary - Very impressed...works better than I thought.
Installed the system with 6 keypads and seven sets of speakers (one of the zones is pushing 4 speakers--and the amp specifically states it can handle the Ohms). Sounds great....a few comments:
  • The remote system where it will route to only to the emitter tied to the source is fantastic for multi DVRs in one closet
  • The intercom works great (can turn "party mode" on to call all zones)
  • MP3 via USB is a bit weak (plays in order, no real control), but it supports 8GB, and as long as you fill it with music you like, it's a good alternative
  • Hooked up a cheap ir-controlled radio so I don't need to tie up a receiver as a source
  • The network control unit (forget the name) is basic. allows for control and naming sources/zones.....but it's very utilitarian.
If I were to do it over again:
  • I'd put the keypads in more natural remote-pointing spots, rather than natural "light switch on the wall" spots. I thought I'd be pressing buttons on the keypad more than aiming a remote....I was wrong.
  • I'd run more IR receiver eyes beside tvs.
Overall quite happy--and excellent value when compared to some of the high end stuff.

Nice review.
I am planning on getting the Lync system as well. Would be great if you could post pics of the keypad controller. Does it display 'song name' for sources like Pandora?
I just realized that this system (Lync) doesn't have its own sources and that you need to rely on Sonos or maybe connect a PC/Network Receiver etc. Not a deal breaker, but didn't figure this out initially.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-15-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Update: Still working well, but I've run into a roadblock...there is no ir control for the lynx system from within the av closet....can only be ir controlled via keypad. This wouldn't be an issue if the keypads were in plain sight everywhere, but we hid most around corners.

The pro control .z system works great....except I have no way of interacting with the lync system (I have the iPad app connector, but it is proprietary).

There are also no discrete ir codes I.e. source7zone3......just up and down surfing through available sources.

All in all, i Could have mitigated this if I had wired an ir eye into the keypad and mounted the eye near the tv.....but I didn't....

post #9 of 13 Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 AM

Not sure if you are still on this forum...I have been talking to the guys at HTD for about a year and just ordered the Lync 12 system for new home under construction. I will be doing all the low voltage wiring including the Lync system.. starting soon...I would love to get some more feedback from you if possible...

Thanks,
Mark Drent
Brielle, NJ
rmderent@yahoo.com
post #10 of 13 Old 06-29-2013, 05:45 AM

Mark,
Did you end up installing the lync system. If yes are you satisfied. I am just starting a project and also have settled on lync ( i think ). However not sure where the sound for the intercom system comes out. I think the mic is in the keypad. Does sound come out of the music system?
post #11 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 04:34 PM

The sound for the intercom comes out of the connected speakers on any zone that is currently "ON".

I hope that helps.

FYI, I have had a Lync 12 since february 2011 and I am very happy. I have had 3 neighboors do the exact same install.

No worries with HTD and they are a good company to deal with.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thanks for the reviews everyone. I'll be ordering a Lynx 6 by the end of this year.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 AM

Just moved into our new house with Lync system... Went with the 12 Zone system and mostly all rooms, porches, and pool area have the high def 8" speakers or better ...few zones pushing 2 pair... Have the iphone controller, sonos as one source and numerous other sources buried in audio room... Family room TV is great source for sports and concerts that play the audio anywhere I choose...Very impressed with sound quality and controllability... I can sit anywhere on my property and turn on any or all zones, pick any song from my personal library, pandora etc...to be played in party mode or different songs in each zone...
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page