Anyone ever run wires through walls AFTER sprayed insulation? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-26-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bought a new home and they used sprayed insulation on the outside walls. I would like to run some wires but remember the installer telling me it will be very difficult. So anyone done this? How did you do it and was it a PITA?

I have a home network system that was installed so there is already wires running through this stuff that they put in before the sprayed. Not sure if that helps me or not?

Thanks for any feedback!

Edit: Everything I'm reading sounds like it's not ideal to try and do this. If so I need to figure out a way to run surround sound wires behind my couch in my game room. Guess I could pull carpet and punch a small hole in carpet for wires? I can't seem to find blue tooth connected speakers anywhere besides the soundbar subs. I'm looking for a 5.1 setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If the sprayed stuff SOLIDIFIES then indeed would be PITA. If like regular "cotton" then is entirely do-able, I used fiberglass rods for that.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-26-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

It's the sprayed stuff. Ok, not even going to mess with it.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I don't have the sprayed, but I've read it's pretty easy to pass a straight run through it, same stud cavity, using a steel fish tape (and I assume fiberglass rods).

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 9 Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
And, the foam may not even be filling the entire stud cavity. Might just be 3" thick.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

What do you mean "same stud cavity"?

Oh and it is packed all the way. I saw it during a walk through during construction and they pack it in there all the way!
post #7 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Meaning the same vertical space between studs ( a 'stud bay'). You can probably poke/fish vertically with some practice by staying next to the underside of the drywall. But leaving the stud bay is going to be a challenge. That would probably be the cue for the expert to come in...

If you have a path around the room, you could hide wires behind crown molding, poking into the drywall at the top and down (within the stud bay) at the entrance/exit points (the amp location and the speaker locations).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #8 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are two kinds of spray foam, open-cell and closed-cell. Open-cell is soft and spongy and you can easily push a rod or fish tape through it. Closed-cell dries hard as nails. Im sure with enough work you could push something through closed-cell but it would be a serious pita. You should know what you have if you touched the stuff during construction.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Cables Interconnects

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page