Suggestions for 2 Channel Receiver for whole house sound with iPod and Wifi features - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-27-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a customer who's home is wired for whole house audio in six rooms with standard volume controls and 6 channel Impedance Matching / Speaker Selector. A decent 2-channel stereo receiver will fit his needs though he is also looking for direct iPod connectivity and the ability to stream media from his PC via WiFi. The Onkyo TX8050 seems to fit the bill but it is hard to find a retail source that has it in stock. I have been looking over offerings from other manufactures for a 2-channel receiver that has similar features but striking out so far. Wondering if anyone has suggestions that would stay in the sub $500 range.
Any devices that allow streaming via WiFi and has iPod / iPhone connectivity that could be combined with a 2-channel amp ?
I have been retired as an installer for a few years and have really fallen behind the times with today's new technology and offerings.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

"if you can't find the answer to life, change your questions"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-27-2012, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Look for a receiver with AirPlay support. That way you can stream via WiFi from content on an iPod / iPhone / iPad, or use the Apple Remote app on any of those to remotely control an iTunes library on a Mac/PC. Much better than an iPod dock, since you keep the device with you.

Don't think you'll find a 2-channel receiver with that built in, but you could create a low cost solution with an inexpensive amp and a $99 Apple Airport Express. For this setup you'd just use the Airport Express as an AirPlay target and take the output to the amp. Volume can be set at the amp and controlled by the iDevice sending the stream if you'd like...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 06-29-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Jeff,

Thank you very much for that idea. It sounds like it would provide him every thing he wants with even less invested than was expected. The only hang up I think I see from reading the sales ad of the Airport express is it states it needs to be hardwired into his broadband modem. This is not an option where the whole house speaker wiring leads to.

"if you can't find the answer to life, change your questions"
post #4 of 5 Old 06-29-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVanMeter View Post

The only hang up I think I see from reading the sales ad of the Airport express is it states it needs to be hardwired into his broadband modem. This is not an option where the whole house speaker wiring leads to.

Doesn't have to be hardwired to the modem, or even wired Ethernet at all to use the AirPlay support. See the Apple support document about using the Airport Express in "Client mode":

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4587

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 5 Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 AM

Liked: 10
I have been working the whole house sound problem for quite a while. This is my best solution so far, and I have had a lot of success with it. Please let me know what you think. I am always looking for new ideas and input.

You basically have the same two problems everyone has with house sound: amplification and input. I think its better to divide and conquer.

1. Amplification: You hook up all six sets of speakers to an Onkyo 8050, push all the buttons on the selector in, and start cranking the volume and that thing is going to be smoking. You are going to be constantly be throwing it into protect, seriously reducing the life of the amp, and pissing off the customer. I know that no sane person would do this, but you know as well as I do that the customer's 16 year old son is going to do it sooner or later....its just a matter of time. I have looked far and wide, and I have only found one line of amps specifically designed for this application that doesn't break the budget, the Episode Digital Amp line by SnapAV. http://snapav.com/p-1181-ea-amp-8d-70a.aspx. It just solves so many problems. With a true multi-zone amp you can be cooking all six set so speakers and it will not hurt a thing. I understand that this configuration is optimized for inline volumes, but that can be worked around.

2. Input: Everyone wants wireless connectivity from network devices, ipods, and cell phones, and if you talk to them the want "push" the stream from these devices because it is an interface that they are familiar with. All the different receiver lines I would argue do not have a viable solution for this. I don't know what your experience is with Onkyo but that Ethernet port on the back is very misleading. You will only be able to stream media in a "pull" configuration using a very cumbersome remote control based interface. Some of the really high end receivers that have apps that interface over the wifi and can "push" the stream...kind off, but not on the 8050 and not on any amp that would be designed for this application. (Denon does better than Onkyo) However, the solution to the input problem gets much easier when the amplification problem is taken out of the equation. There all sorts of network and bluetooth devices that can push a stream wirelessly to a analog/ RCA output that can go right into the SnapAV amp. I like music bridges the best if the customers are laptop users. http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WMB54G-Wireless-G-Music-Bridge/dp/B000E5E6KG. For the cell users Sonos is great. http://www.sonos.com/. Air play for the Apple impaired. http://www.apple.com/itunes/airplay/. and so on....

Having a set up like this is also very inert to change. As tech changes two things have been very constant: speaker amplification and 8.5mm/ stereo outputs. As the next trend hits the market the customer can just swap out the input device.

BTW, standard multi-zone amps are worthless given that none come with dual DSP's. Even the flag ships.

-Hope this Helps

Joe
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Onkyo Tx 8050 Network Stereo Receiver Black , Cisco Linksys Usb Ethernet Adapter

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page