Noob with a queston.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

Am building new home. Have been roughing RJ6 and Cat 6 to each room using home runs each run. Would like to have a computer server to be able to RF video to 4 zones and audio to 7 zones. My main concern at the moment is the rough in wiring to each zone and what wiring I might need to satisfy a plan.

Anyone know of someone online I could trouble to design something like this? I live in a small town and no one local available.

Thanks,

LMA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Contact Dennis Erskine (Erskine Group), aka the "AVS Theater Layout Service" here on the forum - they do wiring designs.

Look at the Wiring Your House wiki over at cocoontech.com, too.

Not sure what you mean by "RF" in this case, but regardless, the general answer for video distribution in the HDTV age is going to be multiple cat6 or cat5e home runs to each potential display location. 2-3 runs minimum for maximum flexibility.

Whole House Audio - home run speaker wire, looping through a switch-height keypad location, run a cat5e control wire in parallel to that location.

EDIT: You should also run at least one, perhaps two RG6 to each potential display location in addition to the Cat5e/Cat6 runs. Having both sets you up for most anything we know of.

For "key" locations and/or places impossible/impractical to retrofit - run flexible PVC conduit to an attic / basement location so that the cable-of-the-future can be added relatively easily. These conduits should be installed empty (anything you run should be outside of them - reserve for the future!). Flex conduit is the only futureproof cable.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Contact Dennis Erksine (Erksine Group), aka the "AVS Theater Layout Service" here on the forum - they do wiring designs.
Look at the Wiring Your House wiki over at cocoontech.com, too.
Not sure what you mean by "RF" in this case, but regardless, the general answer for video distribution in the HDTV age is going to be multiple cat6 or cat5e home runs to each potential display location. 2-3 runs minimum for maximum flexibility.
Whole House Audio - home run speaker wire, looping through a switch-height keypad location, run a cat5e control wire in parallel to that location.
Jeff

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but how do you get 'video' over Cat5/6 cables?

Thx!
post #4 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAusio80 View Post

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but how do you get 'video' over Cat5/6 cables?
Thx!

Generally, "HDMI over Cat5e" extenders. Best solution on the market now will be products based on the HDBaseT 'standard', which transmit HDMI, RS232, IR, and Ethernet over a single Cat5e cable up to 100m. Atlona has incorporated this technology into a suite of HDMI matrix switch products. Monoprice even has an inexpensive (single run) extender for <$200.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 9 Old 06-29-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAusio80 View Post

...how do you get 'video' over Cat5/6 cables?
Well, if we are talking about a HDMI video signal, because a Cat 5/6 cable is composed of twisted pairs with 100 ohm characteristic impedance, and a HDMI cable uses 100 ohm twisted pairs to transmit video/audio, all you have to do is connect each of the twisted pairs in the HDMI cable to a twisted pari in a Cat 5/6 cable at both ends. You lose the benefits of the shielding of the HDMI cable if you use UTP, but it works. Doing it so that it is reliable at longer distances and cramming in all the other signals on the HDMI cable takes some doing, though. Even if you use a second Cat 5/6 cable, some of the signals need to be multiplexed.

If we are talking about an analog video signal, like component video, all that is required are baluns at each end. They can be as simple as transformers that convert an unbalanced line (coax) to a balanced line (twisted pair). It can also be done with active circuitry.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-01-2012, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Jeff

RF video would be the lowest grade of video signal distribution--RG-6 terminated with standard 75 ohm F-connectors.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-01-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard View Post

RF video would be the lowest grade of video signal distribution--RG-6 terminated with standard 75 ohm F-connectors.

Yeah, I'm aware of that - but didn't know if he meant RF as in "wireless" or something else from the context of the OP... Although he hasn't been back since, so may be a moot point...

post #8 of 9 Old 07-01-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry guys but don't have DSL installed at new house yet. Too much info to type on phone.

I think Jautor and Colm answered my question. When I said RF I meant wireless. I'll sketch what I'd like to have and post it for review.

Thank you,

LMA smile.gif
post #9 of 9 Old 07-01-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Fellows,

Here is a rough idea of what I'm looking at. What I am looking to do is load all of my movies onto a computer and use that computer like a server. Each red circle indicates a television set. Each black circle indicates stereo speakers in the ceiling. There is just my wife and I so if possible we would like to have the capacity to listen to different radio stations in each room.

Each televison will be wired with a surround sound system. The sub will be on the floor, and the rear channel speakers in the ceiling.

Even though I'm wiring Cat6 drops in each room for computers, I will also have a wireless router in the media room.

Am putting several Cat6 and RJ6 drops in each room for future. Also a picture of the house. (It's completely in the dry now.)

I appreciate any direction you can provide.

Respectfully,

LMA

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Iogear Cat5e 6 Extender , Cables Interconnects , Matrix , Monoprice

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page