AVS Forum banner

HDMI to ethernet to coax and back again?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jautor 
#1 ·
SO, i have a similar situation to a lot of people. I moved in to a new home about a year ago and have rg6 coax ran to every room in the house. I have Directv and have a piggyback feed of one of my receivers to the rest of the house, however the quality is fairly poor. I want to see if there is any way to get HD to at least 1 other room. My tv is 2 floors away and running new cable, hdmi or component, is out of the question. I have researched this for a while now. I have seen products that can produce an HD feed over coax, but are mostly for businesses and cost WAY too much. I have seen a few cheaper devices and wondered if anyone could offer any advice as to whether either of them would work in combination with one another.

My first idea is HDMI to CAT6 ethernet. While I cannot run an ethernet 2 floors up I wondered about a powerline adapter. So basically hdmi-ethernet-powerline and back again. I feel this would never work, but in theory it might, probably very poor quality with all the interference im bound to get.

My 2nd idea is using my existing coax. So basically HDMI to ethernet, and ethernet through my existing coax. Ive seen devices (MoCA adapter) that can transfer high speed data over rg6 coax. So, hdmi to ethernet adapter to MoCA adapter and back again. I know this all sounds ridiculous. But im not paying $600 dollars or tons more to get hd on another tv with some other devices ive seen. I also dont want to dish out the initial cost and $10 a month fee for another receiver.

Im basically starting this thread so someone smarter than me can tell me there is some sort of non-compliance issue or technical concern as to why either of these ideas will never work.

I am open to any input or suggestions but please dont suggest any "solutions" that going to cost hundreds or thousands. Because I know there are HD rf modulators that would do the trick.

I know there are threads very close to this one however I think mine is unique. Please help, this whole situation has been racking my brain for over a year now. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
So you have coax throughout the house, correct? And you're using DirecTV?

Just upgrade the dish to an SWM model (Single Wire Multiswitch) and add receivers. You can turn on "whole house DVR" service, too, to share content from the DVR(s) to any capable receiver. All equipment must be SWM-capable, which will be any of the HD-DVR boxes and any recent receiver.

The SWM setup allows a single coax to be used just like Cable TV would (splitters are ok). Yes, you'll incur the additional box rentals, but you also gain the flexibility of watching different shows on each set, and the break-even compared to the alternatives is several years anyway...

Jeff

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by twibmassa  /t/1418395/hdmi-to-ethernet-to-coax-and-back-again#post_22183880

My 2nd idea is using my existing coax. So basically HDMI to ethernet, and ethernet through my existing coax. Ive seen devices (MoCA adapter) that can transfer high speed data over rg6 coax. So, hdmi to ethernet adapter to MoCA adapter and back again. I know this all sounds ridiculous. But im not paying $600 dollars or tons more to get hd on another tv with some other devices ive seen. I also dont want to dish out the initial cost and $10 a month fee for another receiver.

I actually tried this but it didn't work for me, i.e., no signal. I eventually wound up going wireless with the http://www.ebay.com/itm/Actiontec-MWTV200KIT-My-WirelessTV-WiFi-HDMI-Transmitter-Receiver-HD-kit-/360470199674?pt=US_Internet_Media_Streamers&hash=item53edb2bd7a . I have 2 DirecTV HR2x HD DVRs and a Roku box connected to an HDMI 4x2 matrix switch with one output of the HDMI matrix feeding the Actiontec in my basement....the remote TV is in my bedroom one floor above and the picture and audio quality is excellent, you'd never know it was a wireless connection. Maybe once a week I'll have no picture when I turn on the bedroom TV which is easily solved by power cycling the Actiontec receiver (I've never lost the signal while viewing though).

I had also considered your other idea with the powerline adapters but never tried it...let us know if you try it and whether it worked or not.

With that said, Jeff's suggestion to go with another reciever (for only $6/month) is the simplest solution with a SWM setup and an existing coaxial cable line to that room. I didn't go this route even though I already have SWM and WHDVR service becuase I definitely wanted another HD DVR and not a receiver but didn't want the DVR to be physically located in the bedroom due to the noise the HDD produces. The Actiontec kit (which I found for less than $70 shipped on ebay) is a more than acceptable solution for me.

#4 ·
Hey, thanks for the suggestion. In all my research I havent found that wireless HD device. I was even like " I know this has to exist!" But that sounds like a perfect solution for me. I could even cycle it to different locations easily when need be, I already have SWM and whole home DVR but I just dont want to add another receiver. It may come to that some day though. I have 6 HD displays and only 2 are being used to full potential. I will probably give that product a shot, thanks again.

#5 ·
Kinda have a similar question but cannot find a device to do this....Help would be appreciated!

Hello. I have a home in NJ (excellent Cable TV service) and a home in South Florida (horrible). This is my idea. Hopefully someone can help me out

In NJ - Scientific Atlanta Cablebox, with its own remote. HDMI, Coax, Red-Yellow-Red, Blue-Green-Yellow, OUT and IR out

wish to connect the cable box to a "DEVICE" (thats where I need help) to the internet via ethernet into the router in NJ....

In FL -" DEVICE " would ideally connect to the internet (hard wired) and would connect to the TV via HDMI. The remote for the cable box in NJ would be used down here and would be controlled through "DEVICE" to change the box channels and features in NJ.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.