Whole house a/v - It's happening! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-05-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, getting closer to reality as we are pull wires etc...

Set-Up:
Downstairs:In-ceiling - 4 pairs, 2 dvc/single speakers (Polk, Yamaha, Jamo, or Proficient)
Upstairs: In-ceiling - 7 pairs, 3 dvc/single speakers (Polk, Yamaha, Jamo or Proficient)
- Just thinking of 2 zones for now

Additionally, to keep the costs low, I plan on using the 2 additional audio zones on my Denon 3312CI

Questions -
1. Driving speakers: Am I right in assuming that I would need an amp + speaker selector to drive these speakers? - Appreciate recommendations on amp+ spk selector
2. Music Source: Am i right in assuming that i could use my Denon receiver as a source to these 2 zones? So, playing Pandora in 1 zone and 'source music from pc' in the other?
3. Wall controller: Any suggestions on a keypad/controllers - Worse, to keep cost low, I am ok with the buttons as long as i can see what song is playing. Just need 2, for now

I am hoping, in the future, i would be able to expand from this set-up (add zones/controllers) as needed?

Note: I did review a bunch of sites like Aton, HTD etc. It gets a little overwhleming as you get sucked into buying packages etc. The Home technology Store does seem to have a bunch of packages, but I am not sure if i am better off buying this individually.

Much thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-05-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Why are you using so many DVC speakers? Really don't recommend using them except for very tight areas like hallways. You'll get much better coverage and sound quality from a pair of stereo speakers... Also, if you're pulling wire, make sure you pull a cat5e to a wallplate in parallel to the speaker wires, so you can upgrade to any of the whole house audio systems later.

If you're hooking up more than one or two pairs to an amplifier, you'll need an impedance-matching device somewhere in the chain. Many speaker selectors (like the Aton) have that function included.

Check the manual or the Denon-specific threads on the output capabilities. You'll certainly have to provide analog audio inputs to the Denon for them to be available in the zone2/zone3 outputs. Very few AVRs provide digital audio sources to the zone outputs. For internal sources like Pandora, DLNA streaming, etc. - double check the manual or real world users to ensure those are available to the zones.

If you want keypads / wall-mounted controllers, you're looking for a "real" WHA system. Getting one with metadata is great - but you have to use sources supported by the system to get that - and it won't be "low cost"...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 9 Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Why are you using so many DVC speakers? Really don't recommend using them except for very tight areas like hallways. You'll get much better coverage and sound quality from a pair of stereo speakers... Also, if you're pulling wire, make sure you pull a cat5e to a wallplate in parallel to the speaker wires, so you can upgrade to any of the whole house audio systems later.
If you're hooking up more than one or two pairs to an amplifier, you'll need an impedance-matching device somewhere in the chain. Many speaker selectors (like the Aton) have that function included.
Check the manual or the Denon-specific threads on the output capabilities. You'll certainly have to provide analog audio inputs to the Denon for them to be available in the zone2/zone3 outputs. Very few AVRs provide digital audio sources to the zone outputs. For internal sources like Pandora, DLNA streaming, etc. - double check the manual or real world users to ensure those are available to the zones.
If you want keypads / wall-mounted controllers, you're looking for a "real" WHA system. Getting one with metadata is great - but you have to use sources supported by the system to get that - and it won't be "low cost"...
Jeff

Thx Jautor! As always, you are the first to respond. Much appreciated!

The DVC speakers are for the baths and hallway.

The more I review, the HTD Lync system seems to be the best bet? The key pads are just $119 and it also has a neat amp from what i can tell.

Any other systems I should be looking at?
post #4 of 9 Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAusio80 View Post

The more I review, the HTD Lync system seems to be the best bet? The key pads are just $119 and it also has a neat amp from what i can tell.
Any other systems I should be looking at?

Just be aware that the metadata support on the keypads is limited to the, well, limited internal MP3 player. But HTD is an excellent value for the system... To get better metadata, you have to move up to a NuVo or Russound setup - coupled with their media server/streamer products.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just be aware that the metadata support on the keypads is limited to the, well, limited internal MP3 player. But HTD is an excellent value for the system... To get better metadata, you have to move up to a NuVo or Russound setup - coupled with their media server/streamer products.
Jeff

Thx again Jautor. I do like the Russound Keypads and same for Nuvo.
BTW, what does any equivalent Russound system cost? (equivalent to HTD Lync 6 zone system - $1,999)
There are innumerous Russound systems listed on their site and I am not sure which one is 'decent'.

I understand that a local dealer may be best for cost, but can you tell me a rough estimate?

Thx
post #6 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Assuming you're talking system + streamer/server, Russound is likely in the same ballpark as a NuVo system, so assuming you're DIY-ing this, probably ~$4-6k for the equipment not counting speakers. (and see, the HTD systems are a good value! smile.gif )

post #7 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Assuming you're talking system + streamer/server, Russound is likely in the same ballpark as a NuVo system, so assuming you're DIY-ing this, probably ~$4-6k for the equipment not counting speakers. (and see, the HTD systems are a good value! smile.gif )

Thx Jautor. That pretty much narrows it down for me. I'd love those keypads and system etc, but HTD Lync seems more economical for now.

Thanks again! You've been super helpful! I have read a lot fo threads with your name on it. Great to have folks like you help us fledgling.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAusio80 View Post

Thx Jautor. That pretty much narrows it down for me. I'd love those keypads and system etc, but HTD Lync seems more economical for now.
Thanks again! You've been super helpful! I have read a lot fo threads with your name on it. Great to have folks like you help us fledgling.

BTW, is this a good deal? http://www.amazon.com/Russound-MCA-C5-Kit-RUSSOUND-kit/dp/B0028H1FL6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341595520&sr=1-3

Thx!
post #9 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems like that's the going rate for the same package from eBay sellers... I'd certainly recommend contacting a local dealer for Russound or NuVo before buying from an "unauthorized" source (meaning you'd have potential warranty issues with the mfgr). I bought my NuVo from an authorized dealer at a DIY price, very competitive with what they go for on eBay. That's assuming you're doing the work yourself, of course!

Jeff

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Polk Audio , Yamaha , Jamo , Proficient , Amplifier Speaker , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page