noob question A/V Distribution receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-10-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if any home theater receiver exists that can take say 4 HDMI inputs (Cable box, Apple Tv, Xbox, PC) route to 4 outputs i.e a (4 x 4 DA) with a HDMI switcher built into each output so you have the capability of 4 sources at 4 different locations. Basically I want to have all my sources at one central location (living room) and routed to (bedroom, Loft & guest room) with a single HDMI cable to each. (HDMI over cat 5 extender for longer runs). I would like the receiver to be automated with with wifi or zwave to route/switch the source to any room via ipad or iphone. Ideally I would like to be in my bedroom and select bedroom then cable box and be able to watch cable. I belive Control4 has a product like I described but i'm looking for a DIY install.

What are my options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-10-2012, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
You're looking for a 4 x 4 HDMI switch matrix.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-10-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Any type of controller wifi or zwave to remotely control what source goes to what output? A IR remote will not work in this application.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-10-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicVegas View Post

Thank you, Any type of controller wifi or zwave to remotely control what source goes to what output? A IR remote will not work in this application.

Some switches have RS232, or you can use an iTach IR gateway to convert from TCP/IP to an IR solution.

Why won't IR work? You'll need to control the sources as well, and many matrix switch solutions have IR routing from receivers at the displays to the sources.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

I fear that IR won't work as the HDMI matrix will be upstairs and through several walls.
I've been wondering if I could control the HDMI Matrix (monoprice 4x4 Ver 3.0) over IP?
What is needed in order to control the switching/routing via ipad?
I've seen the control4 application where you just tap on the room and then the source. What would be needed to have a similar setup?
Thanks for the help so far.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

You'll really want a matrix switch with built-in IR control and routing, since you'll need to control the sources anyway.

Like this Monoprice one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011310&p_id=8151&seq=1&format=2

The IR receivers in each zone control the matrix source selection for that zone, as well as the source devices behind it...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #7 of 10 Old 07-11-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff that's exactly what I was looking for!

I just have one more question. Would I be able to add each room to a harmony remote like the 1000 or 1100? I would like to have the 4 rooms on the main display of the harmony remote then be able to select the room and use the activities to turn on the TV/Projector as well as the theatre system and control matrix inputs in each room. Or can the harmony remote only work for one room?

You've been a HUGE help!
post #8 of 10 Old 07-11-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

If you mean "carry around the Harmony and have it work in whatever zone I have it", then yes, it's easy. The matrix switch will respond to the same code(s) in each zone for source selection, and obviously the sources themselves don't change. You just add the matrix switch as an "A/V Switcher" (something like that) in your activities... You don't even need the "room" buttons, as all rooms are the same, the switching can be completely hidden by the activity.

But, if you mean "control all four zones with a single Harmony from anywhere in the house", then no, doesn't work like that (or at least, not without a lot of work).

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #9 of 10 Old 07-13-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Just received the matrix yesterday & was wondering what type of cat6 should I use for the extenders? Monoprices suggest STP but is that really needed? Is the matrix that "noisey" electrical wise that I need STP rather then UTP?
post #10 of 10 Old 07-13-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

For most residential purposes good old standard unshielded wire will be fine...

Jeff

Theater build photos:

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page