Planning a new home.. Need ideas on wiring, solutions, gadgets, etc. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-14-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright guys, long time reader but first time poster to the board... I am in the infancy stages of building a house. They haven't even poured the footings yet. However, I want to be way ahead of the game when it comes to planning the wiring, system, possible automation. I'm known as a tech guy to all my family and friends and with me building a house like this there will be expectations as far as the cool tech gear that it will have. I want mouths to drop when people come in for the first time.. With that being said, let me give you guys a quick run down of what I want for sure and you guys feel free to throw out any cool ideas that you've heard about or implemented yourselves.. Thanks in advance for all the help..

Home will consist of a basement, main level, 2nd floor. **Will have DirecTV as service provider.. No land line telephone is planned.
Floor plans are below for your convenience.

Main Level
Living Room - 56" Samsung LED above fireplace, 5.1 surround using Onkyo TXNR515 receiver
AV closet to contain (my thoughts)
-Onkyo TXNR515 7.2 receiver
-DirecTV HD DVR
-Monster Power Center component
-Some type of switch,, 24 port 10/100/1000 , possibly POE just in case for the future,, I work for an tech integrator so I can probably pick up a used Cisco 2960 or possibly a Brocade unit..
-Charter Cable modem
-Wireless AP that will cover the downstairs area.
-Possibly (2) Onkyo M-282 stereo amplifiers to power audio speakers throughout house and on deck/porch. Haven't decided how many and final locations of said speakers. Using a Monster 554 4-way speaker selector.
-Samsung Blu-Ray player
-Will be controlled by a Harmony RF remote.

Screened Porch (Dark brown portion of deck) - 32/37" LED tv that will be piggy backed off the DirecTV box in the AV closet that runs the living room television. I don't mind that they are linked and will be playing the same thing. Two on wall speakers on the screened porch as well. These two speakers are a definite in terms of whole home audio.

Master Bedroom - 37" LG LCD television on wall...using the speakers built into TV. Master will have its own DirecTV HD box. Possibly two in ceiling speakers here

Master Bath - Small 22" mounted on wall near wifes vanity area.. Planning on running an additional HDMI from DirecTV box in master to this television in the bathroom.

Garage?? Nothing for now but who knows in the future. Want to plan for the unknown. May want to have a TV or something out there one day.

Uncovered back deck - 2 on wall outdoor speakers.

Basement
My office desk is kind of unique. I want to have a junction box in the floor under my desk for connections such as monitor and such can have to clean up wiring since the desk is not against a wall. Office will also have a LED tv mounted on wall opposite of the closet. However, the closet will not actually be a traditional closet. It will be open and contain my network mono laser printer and color multifunction printer. It will also include my docking station for my laptop so that I can have the most space available on my desk.

The entertainment in the basement will more than likely have two on wall LED's that will be controlled from the small AV closet beside my office. This AV closet will contain an Onkyo 5.1 receiver and a DirecTV HD box that I hope to source my office TV and the two TV's in the entertainment area. I have an existing Polk Audio 5.1 HT system that I plan on re-installing in the entertainment area. It will not however be used like a traditoinal movie watching area. More of a hangout area. The AV closet will also include another wireless AP to provide connectivity to the basement.

Upstairs
No frills here. Future Kids bedrooms.. No kids yet so I will probably run coax and possibly a Cat6 drop to each room. The bonus/play room is up in the air with me.. I don't konw what to run here because for many years it will simply be a playroom for toys and such. But as the kids turn into teens... They may want to make it into a theatre room.. who knows.

Well guys,, I know that's a lot.. That's my initial brainstorm. I need ideas.. not just on wiring suggestions but everything,, what have you seen cool that I can possibly add. Automation?? Smart appliances?? I'm looking for anything smart, cool, productive, functional you can think of that I KNOW that i have either missed or just dont' know abouot.. Thanks again for all the help. I will definitely check back to answer any questions you guys have and see th responses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-14-2012, 05:32 PM

I'm pretty much in the same boat, starting new construction and doing a very similar set up. Not sure if you have checked out Home Theater Direct's Lync whole home audio systems. That's one of the goodies I'm heavily leaning towards as a budget friendly whole home audio solution. Seems to get decent reviews. I am very interested to hear what others suggest on this thread!

Good luck with the new house!
post #3 of 12 Old 07-14-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
That's a huge amount of work to DIY. Does your builder have a rec for a local LV contractor, for the design and installation?

I'd wire for both DirecTV and cable. Luckily they're pretty similar.

I think in-wall touchscreens add a lot for the 'wow' factor.

You may want to consider an alarm system.

I think the biggest expenses in HA installs are distributes video and control. With DirecTV's whole home dvr option, you can save a bundle. And with very few sources, DTV's RF remotes may suffice.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 12 Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Where's the draw-dropping stuff?
post #5 of 12 Old 07-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
@cshepard - agreed, I'm not gonna drop my drawers over this stuff - oh wait, you mean jaw! :-D Seriously, though, what might seem ho-hum to folks who have worked with this stuff day-in/out for years, might be the biggest thing since sliced bread to others. I was shocked that so many people comment on my having a tv in my master bathroom!

to the OP: As you have probably read here many times, RUN YOUR WIRING NOW. I don't care if it sits in the wall unused for years, it's so much cheaper to run it now than to do post-build. For nearly every room, i would run several drops of cat6 - at least 2 for any type of distributed video (potential), plus 1 for networking. Yeah, I said networking. Wireless may be nice and cool, but I'll take a wired connection over wireless any day of the week to ensure connectivity and speed. If you plan to do any type of home automation layer on top of everything, it will be better wired than wireless. I'm specifically saying this about your thoughts on the upstairs rooms. Unless you can easily drop new cabling there down the road, run it NOW for all of those rooms.

56" tv above the fireplace. I'm sorry, I know EVERYONE does this, but I cannot fathom the thought of craning my neck to look above my fireplace for any extended length of time, unless I'm reclined and the natural angle of my head puts my viewing spot right there.. Are you sure that's where you want to put it?

Screened Porch TV - I don't know where this house will be located, but I have 2 questions - (1) are you concerned about security/theft? and (2) have you considered the possible exposure to elements - how extreme are your temperatures, can rain/sleet/snow possibly reach it, etc. You just may want to ensure you get an designed for outdoor television to ensure continued usage.

Sources? I take it you will only be watching DirecTV or Boxee in other rooms, as you only specified a bd player in the living room.

You didn't mention anything about lighting. Are you considering putting in a lighting automation system - like Lutron or Vantage (higher end) or Insteon/UPB (DIY)? This gives the house an "oooooh" factor.

To share these signals through extra HDMI runs, I presume you're going to use an HDMI splitter at the source. I'm not completely certain, but I think they work the same as with a matrix - whatever your least capable a/v device displaying the signal is, all signals will be downrezzed to that level. Say you have your source run into a 3 way splitter, with 1 run to a 720P tv, 1 to a 1080P tv, and the 3rd to a 7.1 capable AVR, which is connected to a 1080P projector. The source will only output a 720p, 2 channel stereo signal to ALL downstream devices, because that's the lowest common denominator among the 3 output sources. Something you should be aware of and plan your purchases around.

One thing that I never see mentioned in these types of threads is power. Sounds like your living room and basement areas will have a significant amount of equipment. You might consider having the electrician drop dedicated circuits in those two areas to ensure you have solid power coming in. Also make sure you get appropriate UPS for your key equipment - this would be your pc equipment at the least.

Those are just off the top of my head.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-19-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

Screened Porch TV - I don't know where this house will be located, but I have 2 questions - (1) are you concerned about security/theft? and (2) have you considered the possible exposure to elements - how extreme are your temperatures, can rain/sleet/snow possibly reach it, etc. You just may want to ensure you get an designed for outdoor television to ensure continued usage.

I kinda think of these in the opposite direction, which of course will depend on the actual conditions at the site... I'd use a 'budget' TV brand/model, and NOT use a 'security' mount. Assuming the set is covered to avoid direct rain, it should be fine to operate (but may have a degraded lifespan). Unless the set is in view from the street / open yard / etc. - someone will have to make a conscious effort to discover the unit to steal it. If that happens, you're probably better off letting them have the cheap TV, and get it without destroying your walls/ceiling breaking the thing off the mount. Meaning - once they've committed to breaking in - do you think a security mount is going to stop them until they (1) take it, (2) damage it and leave, or (3) rip the whole thing down and double your repair costs...

So if it dies an early death or gets stolen, you just replace it with the newest-gen cheap display, and are probably still ahead on $$$. Obviously there's other variables there. biggrin.gif If the display is visible from a street/alley, I might not put one up permanently at all - certainly not an expensive one! My point breaks down if someone steals it twice every year!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #7 of 12 Old 07-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Good points Jeff. I've never really looked at the "designed for outdoor" models, so I have no idea what kind of price premium they command. May very well be a better idea to put cheap model up there and live with the consequences (which may be nothing other than a slight shorter life span due to the elements).
post #8 of 12 Old 08-01-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Alright guys,
I appreciate the insight from those of you who responded. Since this post, I've had the chance to meet with a professional who does this for a living. He's recommending the Elan G! system. What are your overall thoughts on this? What are my other options if there are any better ones out there.

Questions:

HDMI matrix... Wow these are high.. Anybody have a good recommendation for an 8x8 that sends out Cat 6 straight out of the matrix to eliminate some Balun cost by only needing one end?

Elan licensing costs.. Read about some the licensing you have to purchase from Elan... Anybody know these costs?

Anyone have any experience with a bi-coiled speaker? One speaker with two tweeters that give you stereo sound out of one speaker...
post #9 of 12 Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Elan - I'm interested in it as well, as I'm looking at doing home automation now. I wish I had more information to share, but it's been harder to find information on it locally - the one dealer I found said they don't do many installs of that and pushed me hard to Control4. Hopefully FC Wilt will see this thread - he's got a lot of experience with Elan G! and could answer your questions. Frankly, other than cost (with Elan g! being more expensive), I haven't found (on the surface) any real differences between Elan and Control4 - both have similar on-screen controls, control capabilities, and control input devices - but I also haven't dug deeply into Elan g!

I assume bi-coiled means the same as dual voice-coil. Is this for your in-ceiling/wall speakers? If so, you only want to use those where it is impractical to place 2 speakers in a stereo configuration (e.g., bathrooms, small hallways, wherever the separation of sound naturally from 2 speakers is not possible).

Can't help you with HDMI - I'm a component matrix guy.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Can Control 4 do irrigation control as well? Didn't see it mentioned on their site
post #11 of 12 Old 08-02-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Search c4forums.com for irrigation and matrix info.

+1, limit your use of DVC speakers to very small rooms - half baths, closets.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #12 of 12 Old 08-03-2012, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
HDMI matrix... Wow these are high.. Anybody have a good recommendation for an 8x8 that sends out Cat 6 straight out of the matrix to eliminate some Balun cost by only needing one end?

Atlona, Binary (SnapAV), Intellix, & Zektor come to mind.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page