New Home in Southern California (Orange County)...Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-22-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks in advance for any tips or assistance that is provided. I am currently in the process of relocating to Southern California, Lake Forest to be exact. I have a pretty solid whole house system in my current home and was hoping to get some ideas on what to do in my new home and who I should use to do it. I currently have a Cinetouch system distributing the following sources throughout my home: Kaleidescape (2 players), 4 DirecTV DVR's, 2 HD radio/XM signals and a Blu-Ray player. I also have a pair of Xbox 360's/Kinects and a PS3 in individual rooms not being distributed. As I said, it is a Cinetouch system, version 7.12 I believe.

The new home is being built by a plan builder that doesn't allow any electrical/wiring contractors other than their contracted company, KPS. I believe KPS deals mainly in Control4. My main goal is to have a similar system in my new home to the one I have in my current home. I don't have to have as elaborate of a system, as there are many features to my Cinetouch system that we don't typically use or we could do without. I will have a Samsung television in each of the 3 smaller bedrooms with sound either through the television or a sound bar. There will be a loft with a 47 inch Samsung that will be wired for surround sound. There will also be a living room with another 47 inch Samsung, also wired for surround sound. Finally, we will have a 40 inch Samsung in our bedroom, also with surround. I will be keeping both Kaleidescape sources, the Blu-Ray, HD radio/XM, and will be upgrading each of the DirecTV DVR's to the newest models and would like to distribute them to each room of the house. In addition to the distributed sources, the loft will also have a PS3 and and Xbox 360/Kinect. I will be adding a couple of video cameras, a new alarm system (installed by KPS), and thermostat control. I think that covers most of it.

The advice I need is 2-fold. First question, should I try to stick with a Cinetouch system or give something like Control4 a try? The Cinetouch option would probably require a couple software updates and some after building wiring followed by drywall repair. I don't currently have the iPad/iPhone option, so I would need to pay for that upgrade as well. If I go with the Control4 option, I then have 2 choices. I can let KPS handle everything, which would be much more seamless and wouldn't require any "hole punching" in my ceilings or walls. Or I could meet with another Conrol4 dealer before ordering the "options" in my home and have them tell me where to have KPS do all the wiring and then have the other dealer come in behind them and install the system.

My house consists of myself, my wife and a young daughter. I don't need a lot of elaborate features. I just want something reliable that is easy for my wife to run when I am away. I don't want to constantly be calling my dealer because the system isn't running properly. Nor do I want to consistently get calls from my wife because she is having troubles operating the system.

If anyone has any advice on which system I should go with or if anyone has had any positive/negative dealings with dealers in the Irvine/Orange County area, I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-23-2012, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm the CineTouch product manager.
There's no reason to expect that CIneTouch will need more wiring than Control4.
Your 7.x system can use iPads, Androids, and soon Windows8 devices without a software upgrade.
There are advatages to upgrading, depending on your uses, including Voice Control and Response.
I'll be happy to discuss your options and consequences. We can refer you to a CineTouch dealer in your area or assist the dealer of your choice. You can reach me directly through our website at http://cinetouch.com or directly at john (at) cinetouch.com
John Nagy
CineTouch.com
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page