IR Singnal Wire - How to buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have an Oppp BDP-93 and a cable box (American Scientific?) that have "IR" plugs.

I also have an IR repeater kit that takes a signal from a receiver by the TV, brings it to a distribution box, and currently senda it to my other components through a 'bug' emitter that sticks to the IR signal receivers on those components.

Since I have the IR plug in the Oppo and cable box, I'm assuming I can just run a cable between the IR distribution box into those plug holes and it will be a cleaner signal, and I won't have to worry about the IR bug emitters falling off like they like to do.

The problem, and it seems minor but is causing me headaches, is that I can' find a male/male cable suitable. All I can find is cables that terminate with a bug/emitter on one end.

So my question is:
1) Am I correct in assuming that the holes in the components will receive an IR signal if used? Or are these only for output?

2) Assuming I can use them, where the heck do I find a male/male cable to use for this purpose?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 01:37 PM
DGF

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Most of the IR connections I've seen use a standard 3.5mm termination, so one of these should work okay:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218

Once you take off the emitter, it's just a regular 3.5mm cable - probably why you can't find a M-M IR cable (unless you really are looking for a "IR Singnal Wire" - in which case I can't help. biggrin.gif)

Regarding the functionality of the Oppo and Cable Box IR ports - I have no idea on the cable box, but it will tell you in the manual. I believe the Oppo's is just for input (not two-way). However, the Oppo does offer some good alternatives for control with its' wireless, ethernet, RS232 and CEC capabilities.

Dave
post #3 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

NO. The cables linked above are all stereo 3.5 mm cables. You need MONO cables. Also, in my experience many IR input jacks on the back of cable boxes are not active.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 03:01 PM
DGF

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

NO. The cables linked above are all stereo 3.5 mm cables. You need MONO cables. Also, in my experience many IR input jacks on the back of cable boxes are not active.

Absolutely correct - my bad.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
You need MONO cables.

Do you really think plugging a 3 conductor plug into a 2 conductor jack will make any difference?
post #6 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've got a few 3.5mm plugs on teh way from Amazon.

Also - I feel a bit dumb for posting the question in the first place. I did a web search for the Oppos IR port... and it directed me to the user manual, where it clearly states you can use a 3.5mm cable to input an IR signal from another source. They even have a picture of the plug type/jacet to use.

Live and learn

Once I get the cables in and hook everything up I'll check back in to let you all know how it worked. As for the cable box - I've read online some installers having issues due to IR bandwidths, so I'm hoping that won't be an issue with mine. TBD.
Reply Home A/V Distribution