Splitting digital cable question... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would it be okay for me to split a single digital cable signal (coax, RG6, whatever it's called) into 2 sources?

Some info: There is a big cable that comes out of the ground, and feeds a gray box on my house. This gray box has 2 cables that come out that go to my panel. Inside my panel, one of those cables feeds an 8-way splitter that feeds 8 areas of my house. The other cable goes directly to my cable modem for internet. My internet is essentially completely seperate from my TV cables, all the way out to that gray box.
I'm wanting to split one of those 8 cables off the splitter in the panel, into two.

Basically, run two TV's, two Cable boxes, off one of those lines. Using one of the other 7 sources is not possible.

The line that I am wanting to split, has only been split once before (the 8-way). So essentially, it would have been split twice before it hits both my TV's.

Will I be okay doing this?

I am not, and don't really ever plan on running sattellite service. I have Charter now. I have the HD DVR boxes.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-24-2012, 04:23 PM

Liked: 11
You'll probably be fine, with the caveat that your signal is strong enough. Each splitter will cut the signal a little bit, at some point you notice the signal loss.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-24-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, that's what I was thinking. I was telling myself that splitting it only twice should be okay.

For the record, the cable guy said the cabling in my neighborhood was very good. It's a brand new subdivision. It's the first time in my life I've ever actually got the full download speed they advertise I should get..... not sure if it's related to TV signal strength or not.

I'm also pretty much convinced the HD picture is better with the cable that in was with DirecTV. Same exact TV.
post #4 of 21 Old 07-24-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Check the diagnostic page of your Modem at http://192.168.100.1/ and post the signal levels here. You likely will have enough signal on that leg to split it again for your additional outlet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-24-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm not even really sure what I'm looking at here, but here is some info.
Quote:
Acquired Downstream Channel 747 MHz Primary Downstream Locked
Ranged Upstream Channel 31.0 MHz Success
Provisioning State OK Operational
Ethernet Link Status Up 100 Mbps/Full duplex
Quote:
Cable Modem Downstream
DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4
Frequency 747000000 729000000 735000000 741000000
Lock Status
(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock) Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y
Channel Id 20 17 18 19
Modulation 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM
Symbol Rate
(Msym/sec) 5.360537 5.360537 5.360537 5.360537
Interleave Depth I=32
J=4 I=32
J=4 I=32
J=4 I=32
J=4
Power Level
(dBmV) 9.19 8.97 8.88 8.72
RxMER
(dB) 37.94 37.36 37.36 37.64
Correctable
Codewords 1103 701 1088 1244
Uncorrectable
Codewords 1696 1340 1428 1427
Quote:
Cable Modem Upstream
US-1 US-2 US-3 US-4
Channel Type 2.0 N/A N/A N/A
Channel ID 2 N/A N/A N/A
Frequency
(Hz) 31000000 N/A N/A N/A
Ranging Status Success N/A N/A N/A
Modulation 64QAM N/A N/A N/A
Symbol Rate
(KSym/sec) 5120 N/A N/A N/A
Mini-Slot Size 1 N/A N/A N/A
Power Level
(dBmV) 37.00 N/A N/A N/A
T1 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T2 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T3 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T4 Timeouts 0 0 0 0

Edit: Also like I mentioned, my cable modem has it's own source from the gray cable box on the side of my house, as does my main 8-way splitter. The tech said this will essentially keep my internet and TV seperate increasing the quality of both.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
The tech said this will essentially keep my internet and TV seperate increasing the quality of both.

wow, they'll say just about anything .
post #7 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Power Level
(dBmV) 9.19 8.97 8.88 8.72
Quote:
Power Level
(dBmV) 37.00 N/A N/A N/A

Those levels indicate that you have plenty of signal on the modem leg (the modem would work fine all the way down to -10dB, and the return level can get as high as +50dB or so). That means you could easily split that leg again with a 2, 3 or 4 way splitter, if you wanted. Going out on a limb a bit (assuming the modem leg comes off a 2 way split and not a directional coupler) the level at each set should be around -5dB (10dB loss for the splitter, 3 or 4dB for the wire to the outlet) which should also be OK to split. If you have access to the modem line, that's the one I'd split though.

post #8 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

I can't split the modem leg...

Here is the scoup on what happened. I had (1) Cat-5e and (1) coax ran to every room in my house, and a couple more in other places as well.

Eventhough every room is wired, we only planned on running (3) total TV's. Upstairs bonus room, downstairs family room, and master bed.

When the cable tech was here, he confirmed that the one coax run to my master bedroom is toast. Either the cable was bad, or it broke when they pulled/routed it. (Yes, I've complained already about them not testing conductivity prior to hanging drywall and enclosing everything, but either way it's too late). I don't want them to run a new cable on the outside of my house.

The downstairs family room coax/Cat5 outlet is litterally just on the other side of the wall from my master bedroom. 6" apart, back to back.

Since the original master bed coax is toast, I was simply just going to split the family room line, right there in the wall. One leg to the family room, the other leg through the wall, through the back of the master bed outlet box, and into the socket.

TV in both rooms, no need for a new cable run.

So that's the scoup.

Sam: I may have quoted the tech wrong, but he did say it was a good thing that I had (2) cables from my panel, to the outside of my house. He said something along the lines of it would be better since he wouldn't have to split one line to feed my TV splitter, and my modem.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

The other thing I've been thinking about doing.... not splitting that line, and only using one TV receiver with some sort of HDMI switch that will allow me to feed (2) TV's with one source.

I would have to get some sort of IR repeater for the other side of the wall. I have a Harmony One remote I could use for one room, and the regular Charter remote for the other room.

The part I'm not sure of is if there is any sort of HDMI switch that can be ran (switched) via IR remote signal. I'm sure there is?

My wife is actually leaning this way because I told her that if I could figure out all the components correctly (HDMI switch, and IR repeater) that we could technically hang a TV on the wall with no cords, no cable boxes, no nothing. Just a TV haning on a blank wall with a little IR sensor. No TV stand below with components on it... She kinda liked that idea. We would never need to watch both TV's at once. Not having a 3rd $5/mo charge for a cable box would be nice too.

So... that is an option as well. I was still thinking about running the splitter to get me by until I figured out all of the above, but we're already going on 2 weeks now without a TV in the master and it's no big deal.

Edit: A quick search shows that there are about a hundred different remote operated HDMI switches. So I would need one of those, along with a simple IR repeater.

post #10 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
He said something along the lines of it would be better since he wouldn't have to split one line to feed my TV splitter, and my modem.

Except, that's exactly what he did in the box outside of your house. He split the single feed into two, one for the modem, the other gets split another 8 times.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

I understand they have to split it at some point given there is only one cable coming out of the ground, but that cable was not a standard RG6/coax. It was a much larger, multi wire, cable.

So they convert that large cable into a single coax, and then split that? Essentially bottle necking it down prior to the split?

Maybe the sole reason he did that was to avoid having to put another splitter in my panel?

Not that it really matters, but I am curious about this stuff.

Maybe I'll pop that box open tonight? biggrin.gif
post #12 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It was a much larger, multi wire, cable.

It's probably 1/2" hardline. It is coax, not a multiconductor cable.
Quote:
So they convert that large cable into a single coax, and then split that? Essentially bottle necking it down prior to the split?

There is no bottleneck, both types of cable have the appropriate bandwidth.
post #13 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, interesting.

So he probably used both my source cables to avoid cluttering up my panel more than it was.
post #14 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I'd split the coax in the wall, and have both TVs hanging on walls, with no visible clutter.

I don't know what whole house DVR solutions that Charter offers, but both DirecTV and Dish offer this. You wouldn't need a DVR at the TV with a whole house solution. The small set top box is attached to the back of the TV or placed in a recessed box behind the TV.

Putting the Charter DVRs in a closet is also possible, but more involved.

Comcast set top boxes, without the DVR, are now very small too.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #15 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

I've done the media closet thing the in past, I prefer to keep the components local to the TV's this go around.

At least one TV will be on a TV stand no matter what. Basically wherever I decide to put the components. I've never really understood the reasoning behind hanging TV's on a wall with a TV stand directly under them with components on it. Really the question is if I want to try and split the signal, and run two sets of components, or instead split the HDMI feed off one box to feed both TV's.

Even if I decide to split the signal, I could put all the components in one room, keeping clutter out of the other, and hang that TV on the wall, but then I'd still have two DVR boxes in one room and have to deal with IR repeating.

Whole house DVR'ing is more of a pain that it's worth if you ask me. Mainly because the Charter DVR's only have 2 tuners.

We are not the type of family that goes from room to room watching TV. Kids upstairs, us downstairs. 2 TV's, that's it. We're not big on putting TV's in bedrooms, especially for the kids. It's only been recently that we've decided to stick one in the master. So I could potentially have DVR location issues.... but I could solve that by going with the one DVR to 2 TV's with an HDMI switch scenario.
post #16 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

IR repeater or RF remote (to IR base station near components) would be pretty straightforward.

I like your idea of 2 DVRs in the BR.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #17 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

You think I would be better off with 2 DVR's rather than just using one, and splitting the HDMI out?

If I just use one DVR, then I'd be able to watch recorded shows on either TV in either room, and I would save $5 a month.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-26-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

My concern is that you couldn't watch 2 different things. But, you could try out the single DVR with a switch, and see how well it fits your needs.

post #19 of 21 Old 07-26-2012, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The big cable going into the gray box outside the house is called RG-11.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-27-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard View Post

Only if it's RG-11, if it's 1/2" hardline, it's not RG-11.
post #21 of 21 Old 07-27-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

Only if it's RG-11, if it's 1/2" hardline, it's not RG-11.
And if it was put in within the last 10 years or so it's probably not ½", it's likely .625"...rolleyes.gif

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page