how do I revamp my home system for better zone control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 4 zones of speakers and 1 zone of 2.1 channel audio to a tv. Each zone has a simple volume control, the 2.1 audio is controlled through a IR using a denon remote/direct tv remote for the receiver in a closet. I don't have cat 5 from the volume controls to the main, only two pair speaker wire. Is there something I can do that would allow simple source control and on/off at each zone? Everything I have looked at requires cat 5.

As others have noted, I find that I don't use my system as much because you have to go to the central source to make any changes.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-27-2012, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

well just for kicks, I removed one of my wall plates to investigate, and low and behold I found cat 5 cable bundled up in the box!!!!! Lucked out on that one, so now I guess I can get some better controllers.

Should I go with low end or something better? Thank you for your suggestions, I need five controllers although I could get by witth four and not have a controller in the tv room as the remote can be used there. It seems prices jump quite a bit going from a 4-6 system.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-27-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 341
All depends on what you want... Do you want multiple sources playing in different zones? What sources do you plan to use? Having the cat5 control gives you lots of options. Best cheap upgrade would be an Aton DLA setup with keypads to use with your existing amp. Maybe add a Sonos unit, too. Up from there I'd suggest the NuVo Simplese with the MPS4, but that is a considerable cost jump...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

it looks like the aton unit is about 1300 for the system that I would need. there is a htd midlevel system for 999. Is there a big difference in the two units?
post #5 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabby View Post

it looks like the aton unit is about 1300 for the system that I would need. there is a htd midlevel system for 999. Is there a big difference in the two units?

Yes, very different solutions... I thought there was an Aton bundle with keypads that got a cheaper price on the 'package deal', but now I don't see it.

The mid-level HTD solution with the keypads included is a much better solution, as you'll have a whole house audio system at that point. Each zone can listen to whichever source it wants, completely independently. The Aton speaker router will only provide a single source to all zones (at one time).

That MCA-66 bundle is a great value! I'd splurge the extra $25/zone for the KC7 keypads, but that's just me... wink.gif The ability to name the sources on the keypad (from a predefined list, but a good one) makes it easy for guests to use. And it looks cool.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #6 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I think I will go with the htd product. I did find some of the dla and xantech products on amazon for about 1k, also a russound kit for 600 or so. are they that much better than the htd stuff, it appears they are more digital?
post #7 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabby View Post

I think I will go with the htd product. I did find some of the dla and xantech products on amazon for about 1k, also a russound kit for 600 or so. are they that much better than the htd stuff, it appears they are more digital?

Since you have the home-run speaker wire, I would utilize that rather than limit the power available to what the cat5 (digi5) system delivers. Same for that particular Russound (15W/ch, 30W "per zone" vs. 60W/zone for the HTD). As for sound quality, I think you'd be happy with any of them...

Jeff

post #8 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

thank you for the help. the aton product has the remote for up to 200 ft, do I really need the controllers at all? As I thought about this system, the only important area that I would like to have some control over is the kitchen system. I am only interested in playing pandora or radio for when the wife is cooking and such. (not ever going to run cd's/dvd).

I do have an ipod hookup on the denon receiver.

What about this:

Aton dla4 with remote for the zones, I believe that is 30W per zone, one selector in the kitchen, samsung bluray player with pandora, ipod to receiver.

Will I still be able to listen to music and my TV surround at the same time? Reciever is 5.1 denon, 16xx I think.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, having one remote doesn't really solve the problem - you have to find the remote where you want to use it. Back to the "doesn't get used enough" problem, in my book...

I'd go with a keypad in any primary areas at least, you can always add more later. For playing digital sources / internet radio / Pandora /etc. - you're going to have to control it remotely. I'd suggest a Sonos unit as a source for any of these setups (short of a NuVo solution with the MPS4). Then you can remotely select music with an iPod / iPhone. If you go the HTD route, you could skip the keypads for now and buy their mobile-web control setup. But I'd probably go with keypads and iPod for the Sonos.

Jeff

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page