New construction confusion. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, new guy here!

I am about to make my first home purchase, its new construction. I want to do things correctly the fist time but not go broke. I would like to have everything prewired and ready to add to if needed in future. my main concerns now are getting in wall speakers/audio hooked up and centralizing my cable boxes.
I keep hearing and reading about having it all go to a home location. I am very confused about ho to make that happen. I have a full basement and a garage. My electrical and cable enter the house in the garage.
I was told to get everything to the basement. Should I have them move the cable feed to enter in the basement instead of the garage?
Can I put equiptment in the garage? Im in new york.

Any Ideas or good links are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Vinny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just run a cable (series 6 coax and a CAT5e cable) from the garage to a location in the basement to where you will run all of your outlet cables. At a minimum, pull in 2 series 6 coax and 2 CAT5e cables to each location. 3 CAT5e cables would be better, as it would facilitate HD distribution throughout the house.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
So that sounds easy enough lol. They have all coaxs going to rooms going to garage already. Ill have to have them re route to the basement, correct? Why cast 5e and not cat 6? They already also have one cat 5e from garage to a phone jack in kitchen. They should put garage end in basement and run a new one to basement from garage, correct? Sorry If Im getting confusing. Then all my speaker wires will go from speaker locations to basement, same for wall switchs cat wire for audio?.

Thank you!
post #4 of 5 Old 08-05-2012, 06:28 AM

Liked: 11
I can discuss some options with you. Sorry to be evasive, just about to get off computer when I saw your post. I can help create the spec that will help you to get the wiring done correctly and manage the project.

Send me a private message or e-mail me as I don't subscribe the the threads.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-05-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpv77 View Post

So that sounds easy enough lol. They have all coaxs going to rooms going to garage already. Ill have to have them re route to the basement, correct? Why cast 5e and not cat 6? They already also have one cat 5e from garage to a phone jack in kitchen. They should put garage end in basement and run a new one to basement from garage, correct? Sorry If Im getting confusing. Then all my speaker wires will go from speaker locations to basement, same for wall switchs cat wire for audio?.

Thank you!
While a location in the basement would be preferred, it certainly is not imperative that they be located there. It's just more centralized and all of the drops would be closer in length than if they went to one end of the house.

There really should be 2 coax (series 6) and 2 CAT5e (CAT6, if you prefer) cables to each outlet. That includes to the outside.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page