[SOLVED] Fuzzy composite picture when using audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-07-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a setup that consists of 5 TVs hooked up through composite video and stereo audio. Sitting on the same shelf I have a small power amplifier that feeds 4 speakers. Whenever loud music is being played through the amp and the video is still playing, I get a lot of static. Currently in this room we have the olympics playing along with people either playing music or speaking through a microphone. I have the rg6 composite and stereo audio cables running out of the closet zip tied with the speaker wires. Could this be causing the problem?

EDIT: Just for clarification, I have a closet with 3 sources. 1 DVD player, 1 Satellite TV receiver, and 1 power amp. The DVD player and Sat. TV are hooked up to a composite video switcher and the output of that gets zip tied with the speaker wire and 1 or 2 category 5 cables before exiting the closet through a hole above the door. The RG6 composite cables run around the room zip tied to the speaker cable.

Even without running the stereo audio through the power amp, I get interference on the TVs while playing loud music. Does this sound more like a power issue? The interference increases with the volume of the sound system and only occurs in a direct correlation to output by the amp. I was under the impression that speaker cable was nearly impervious to interference.

I just recently rewired all of the TVs from rf over coax to composite because we were having this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so for any other newbies who end up with this same problem, I'll tell you how I was able to fix it. I started by isolating each node of speakers to find out which one if not all, was the culprit. I found out which node was causing the problem and checked all of the wires and found that one had been very poorly spliced and the termination was not grounded. I spliced the wire correctly using solder and terminated it with a 1/4 inch fitting and my problem went away.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page