Purchased a home with an "odd" speaker set up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-08-2012, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We bought a home in April and I've since been in the process of getting the AV systems in the house going. The home is about 5 years old and the previous owners had pairs of in wall speakers installed in 4 different rooms. I've checked and it looks like each room has a spot where the speaker wire is accessible to install a volume control knob.

Here's where I'm confused as to how to get sound throughout the house. Each pair of speakers is wired to a central location in the basement. I'd like to be able to hook up an ipod somewhere upstairs (so I don't have to go downstairs to change songs/playlists) and be able to control the volume in each room as desired.

Do I need to add a receiver downstairs with an RF remote and then have someway to connect the iPod to it wirelessly? And then on top of that, use individual volume control in each room as needed? Is there a simpler solution while retaining the speakers in the wall? I hooked up my current receiver which will be in a dedicated theater room and the speakers sound great to me. Looking for any advice or input on which direction I should take this. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 376
This will depend on how much flexibility you want. A Sonos:connect unit, external amp and a speaker selector (for impedance matching) would get you sound in all four rooms and control from your ipod (with the digital library stored somewhere on your network).

But if you want individual rooms on/off, or at different volumes, you'll have to install (at least) in-room volume controls. The big question, since the house is relatively new: if you open up the accessible VC location - is there a Cat5 wire there, too? That would allow you to easily install a "Whole House Audio" system with local control.

Remote iPod docks (wired or wireless) can be used to feed a WHA system, but IMO, it's simpler/better to just use a digital media / Internet streamer as a source, and keep the iPod for control only.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 20 Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

There is not Cat5 in the VC locations unfortunately. We don't have a server or anything set up, would it be possible to just connect an iPod to a dock and have it wirelessly transmit to an amp/receiver in the basement where all of the speakers are wired to? Maybe an amp with an automatic on/off...
post #4 of 20 Old 08-08-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I will agree with jautor about a Sonos unit, amp and speaker selector placed downstairs. You can then place volume controls in each room to control the volume. Just make sure to keep the volume on the Sonos at a high level and not change it. You can use Pandora for music. You don't need a server, just your music on a computer. The Sonos startup guide will walk you through everything. This would be the least expensive way to have control wirelessly. You control Sonos from your android or iphone.

If you want to have individual control in each room, I know of only Nexus Audio Systems that use a phantom control system so you can have a full distributed audio system with the need for Cat5e.
http://www.nexusaudiosystems.com/phantomintegration.html
I have used them before and they are rock solid.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-09-2012, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the info guys, the Sonos system seems great, but I should have been more clear in my first post. We're just trying to have an iPod classic play throughout the speakers in the 4 rooms. For what we're trying to do I think the Sonos would be overkill and pricey.

I was searching and came across this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RD77cxa28iZ/p_772AW2/Audioengine-W2.html

This is exactly what I'm looking for, besides 2 things.
1) I think I'd need more range if the receiver/amp is in the basement
2) Need a receiver/amp with an auto on/off

I'm thinking I could then just add individual VCs to each room. There isn't Cat5 at the VC locations. Am I way off base? This seems like a very simple solution...
post #6 of 20 Old 08-09-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

If that's all you want, you just need:

1) Apple Airport Express
2) AudioSource AMP-100
3) 4-way impedance-matching speaker selector.

VC's in each room are optional. Use AirPlay on your iPod to send any audio to the Airport Express. Total cost ~$250.

To hook up four pairs of speakers you will absolutely need an impedance-matching device in the chain somewhere. Either in a speaker selector or in VCs for every room.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #7 of 20 Old 08-09-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

I had an receiver that would do 5ch stereo, would that work with impedance matching VCs?
post #8 of 20 Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

No. you need what jautor listed.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-10-2012, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, sorry for my ignorance on the speaker selector, would I be able to play all 4 pair of speakers at once or do I have to hit a button on the selector to change the speakers?
post #10 of 20 Old 08-10-2012, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

You can play all 4 pairs at the same time. There are usually buttons on the front of the speaker selector to "turn on" any of the pairs. But most have them all on and use the volume controls to turn the sound off or on. Turning the volume control all the way off disconnects the connection.

It is also an impedance device that fools the amp into seeing a 6 ohm load when all the speakers is driven. This keeps the amp at a safe ohm load.
post #11 of 20 Old 08-10-2012, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

I got it now thanks. Any recommendations on a selector?
post #12 of 20 Old 08-10-2012, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

If that's all you want, you just need:
1) Apple Airport Express
2) AudioSource AMP-100
3) 4-way impedance-matching speaker selector.
VC's in each room are optional. Use AirPlay on your iPod to send any audio to the Airport Express. Total cost ~$250.
To hook up four pairs of speakers you will absolutely need an impedance-matching device in the chain somewhere. Either in a speaker selector or in VCs for every room.
Jeff

Is there a plug in that will allow an ipod classic to connect to airplay/airport express?
post #13 of 20 Old 08-10-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, sorry - missed the "classic" bit... No, nothing I'm aware of that would make that work. You need an iPod touch at least (something with WiFi).

Is there any cat5 wiring nearby? You can take the analog audio output from any iPod dock and use a cat5 balun pair to get the signal downstairs.

If not, you're looking at a separate wireless audio sender, and then you're really building a mess of little pieces.

post #14 of 20 Old 08-10-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

No Cat5 unfortunately, I did find this on Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RD77cxa28iZ/p_772AW2/Audioengine-W2.html and thought I could make that work with what you suggested earlier, just skip the airport express...
post #15 of 20 Old 08-10-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleland500 View Post

No Cat5 unfortunately, I did find this on Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RD77cxa28iZ/p_772AW2/Audioengine-W2.html and thought I could make that work with what you suggested earlier, just skip the airport express...

Well, it doesn't show a fantastic range (30ft), but if it works, then, yes, it would just replace the AE in that list...

Jeff

post #16 of 20 Old 10-27-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Reviving this thread as I'm finally ready to tackle this little project now. I've been doing some searching this morning and I have a question regarding the speaker selector and volume controller. If the speaker selector is impedance matching, do the individual VCs need to be impedance matching also? I know in a previous post Jautor noted that I need at least one thing impedance matching in the chain. Will it be detrimental to the amp or speakers to have two impedance matching devices in the chain? The VCs I'm finding on Monoprice all seem to be impedance matching...
post #17 of 20 Old 10-28-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Guys,
If the speaker selector is impedance matching, do the individual VCs need to be impedance matching also? I know in a previous post Jautor noted that I need at least one thing impedance matching in the chain. Will it be detrimental to the amp or speakers to have two impedance matching devices in the chain? The VCs I'm finding on Monoprice all seem to be impedance matching...

You only need one or the other. If you have matching available in both places, you'll set one to "1x" so it has no effect on the impedance. Note that many folks have complained that the Monoprice impedance-matching volume controls don't appear to perform that function very well. I've read similar complaints on other low-cost VC's claiming to provide matching. The good news is that if your speaker selector is doing the work, it won't matter...

Jeff

post #18 of 20 Old 10-28-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Just so I understand clearly. As long as I set the MonoPrice VCs to 1x or another brand of VCs to 1x it won't matter as long as the selector is doing the matching...do most VCs have the switch or ability to modify the impedance matching to 1x?
post #19 of 20 Old 10-28-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just so I understand clearly. As long as I set the MonoPrice VCs to 1x or another brand of VCs to 1x it won't matter as long as the selector is doing the matching...do most VCs have the switch or ability to modify the impedance matching to 1x?

Yes, if it's an impedance-matching device it will have some way to adjust the impedance...

post #20 of 20 Old 10-29-2012, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Great thanks, appreciate all of the info.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page