4x2 HDMI Matrix switch recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-08-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent HDMI Matrix switch.

I'm currently using a cheap monoprice switch and it doesn't work at all when both outputs are connected.

When I only have the TV connected, it "mostly" works, but I have handshaking issues with the directv receiver (requires a power cycle of the dtv reciever to re-sync)

Here is my setup:

Monoprice HDMI True Matrix switch (Pid 5312)

Input 1: Apple TV
Input 2: DVD Player
Input 3: SA-8300HD Cable box
Input 4: Directv HR24 Receiver

Output 1: Samsung 55D7000 via Monoprice HDMI extender Pid 8200 (~35ft)
Output 2: Benq 720p projector

I have a feeling that the resolution difference between the TV and projector is causing the issue with it not working when both outputs are connected.

As for the handshake issues from the dtv to the TV, I'm guessing its a combination of the HDMI over Cat5e/6 extender and the switch.

I've seen a Gefen Toolbox Matrix switch in the the $400 range, but I'm not sure if it would support both resolutions. To be honest, I don't even care if it scales the TV output down to 720p when I am watching the same source...I just want it to work.

Another option I've thought of would be to pick up the new Denon AVR-3313 receiver which has matrix functionality built in. Zone 2 would go to the TV and Zone 1 to the projected with audio from the receiver.

I guess I could also look into replacing the projector with something that is 1080p, but I'm not sure I want to do that just yet.

Anyone have any advice?

Also, I'm fairly new to this stuff, so if I'm missing any information, or have said anything silly, please let me know.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Any HDMI issues you're having are probably related to the sources and/or the displays - the matrix is just making the connections. It doesn't do any scaling or other processing of the audio/video. So moving the same sources and displays to another matrix will probably just move the problems with it...

Start by forcing your sources to 720p (or at least turn off 1080p on the D* box) and see if that changes the behavior. Then at least you'll know what the issue is. All HD displays should be able to do 720p or 1080i. It's 1080p that wasn't required, and therefore could be the issue.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page