New Home Wiring / Distributed Audio & Video PLUS equipment list - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would love to get folks feedback / input on the wiring and distributed audio / video I am planning for our new house in Chicago

I have installed a Nuvo system and an Audio Authority system in my existing house so I am very familiar with both products

The goal is to have distributed audio and video throughout the whole house.

Video distribution will be for 2 DTV boxes, security cameras, Popcorn hour or Dune player that plays the content of our digital movie server

Audio distribution will primarily be content on our itunes. The CAT 6 for the touch screens will be for the Nuvo touch screens.

I removed the alarm wiring and details because we are installing a system that the vendor asked not to disclose

Because we have multiple TV's in the basement that we want to control each TV separately during the football season we are using a URC system. Each remote can be assigned a specific output at the base station. Using a RF control I think this will allow me to not have cross-talk. I will need a separate remote for each TV though I think.

You will see at the bottom I have listed out the MSRP for each item. I have bought some of these items before and I would expect to do materially better (i.e. pay less) than the MSRP.

Thanks for any input or advice

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
It's a lot to comment on at once, but here's my thoughts...

1) That a lot of money for security cameras... I'd expect IP cameras for a new install these days, too.

2) No audio zones in the study, other bedrooms, side patio area? At least pre-wire for them, especially since you'll have extra zones available on the NuVo system.

3) I have a mix of the NuVo in-ceiling AP1 and AP2 speakers, and wouldn't buy them again. They're not bad, but for the price there are better sounding speakers. I'm much happier with Definitive and Boston Acoustics models I've placed / upgraded in some zones. (The DefTech are more expensive, though)

4) In the MBR, think about positioning the in-ceiling speakers near the headboard so they can be dual-purposed as surround speakers. A NuVo LSI can allow you to share them with a surround receiver, as long as the wiring is done now...

5) Didn't run the $ numbers, but why go with the HLX modular matrix, when you'll only be using the component video? (e.g. the best it offers) I'd think the AVAtrix would be cheaper...

6) In the game room, downstairs family and bar area, think about putting 4 speakers in the larger rooms for better coverage at lower average volume output, and move the speakers out of the bar (into the game room).

7) I assume there's another detached garage? Is the 1-car a potential workshop? I ran speakers and a TV outlet in my garage just in case...

8) One of the things I missed was placing cat5e wires for future control panels in hallways and a few key locations where an in-wall "iPad" could go.

9) For remotes, you can probably still use IR even in your basement setup - the sensors are usually directional enough that two TVs placed 10' apart won't have an issue (YMMV). But I find having one remote that works all over the game room "area" makes it easy to use.

10) The theater - I recommend you get a pro to take a look at that layout. Putting seats against the walls will probably give you less than stellar results. You might consider a bar table for the rear row - but you're going to be challenged at 19' depth to fit 3 rows comfortably... I don't see a need for a curved screen in that room - save your money on that.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 08-11-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

It's a lot to comment on at once, but here's my thoughts...
1) That a lot of money for security cameras... I'd expect IP cameras for a new install these days, too.
2) No audio zones in the study, other bedrooms, side patio area? At least pre-wire for them, especially since you'll have extra zones available on the NuVo system.
3) I have a mix of the NuVo in-ceiling AP1 and AP2 speakers, and wouldn't buy them again. They're not bad, but for the price there are better sounding speakers. I'm much happier with Definitive and Boston Acoustics models I've placed / upgraded in some zones. (The DefTech are more expensive, though)
4) In the MBR, think about positioning the in-ceiling speakers near the headboard so they can be dual-purposed as surround speakers. A NuVo LSI can allow you to share them with a surround receiver, as long as the wiring is done now...
5) Didn't run the $ numbers, but why go with the HLX modular matrix, when you'll only be using the component video? (e.g. the best it offers) I'd think the AVAtrix would be cheaper...
6) In the game room, downstairs family and bar area, think about putting 4 speakers in the larger rooms for better coverage at lower average volume output, and move the speakers out of the bar (into the game room).
7) I assume there's another detached garage? Is the 1-car a potential workshop? I ran speakers and a TV outlet in my garage just in case...
8) One of the things I missed was placing cat5e wires for future control panels in hallways and a few key locations where an in-wall "iPad" could go.
9) For remotes, you can probably still use IR even in your basement setup - the sensors are usually directional enough that two TVs placed 10' apart won't have an issue (YMMV). But I find having one remote that works all over the game room "area" makes it easy to use.
10) The theater - I recommend you get a pro to take a look at that layout. Putting seats against the walls will probably give you less than stellar results. You might consider a bar table for the rear row - but you're going to be challenged at 19' depth to fit 3 rows comfortably... I don't see a need for a curved screen in that room - save your money on that.
Jeff

Jeff - Absolutely awesome advice, thank you

I am going with the HLX vs. the AVA simply for the "heft" factor. I have the AVA now and it lags a bit and its not always perfect. I know the HLX is overkill, but with the dollars i am saving doing this myself I really want it to be seemless

Great idea on the speakers - will definaltely do that

Great minds think alike, - i am going to hire the one of the guys that gave me a whole house audio quote to do the theater, beyond my level of expertise

Thanks again for the great advice
Old 08-11-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis. S View Post

I am going with the HLX vs. the AVA simply for the "heft" factor. I have the AVA now and it lags a bit and its not always perfect. I know the HLX is overkill, but with the dollars i am saving doing this myself I really want it to be seemless

Really? There's a delay in switching on the AVA? I'm using the Aton HDR44 (have three of them now), and the switching is so instantaneous and seamless that if two sources are on the same DirecTV channel - I can't even tell it switched...
Quote:
Great minds think alike, - i am going to hire the one of the guys that gave me a whole house audio quote to do the theater, beyond my level of expertise
Thanks again for the great advice

Look at the AVS Theater Design service offered by Dennis Esrkine here... Best $700 you can probably spend for that advice. Although you'll be in for more than that if you want a full design...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht