Controlling Monoprice 4x4 Matrix - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-13-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, new to the thread here.

I notice alot of people are using the Monoprice 4x4 Matrix (popular because of its price for sure)

and seem to have mixed results, i understand that.

my question is mainly for the people that are using this, what are you using to control this remotely?

The system itself supports IR (included flat remote) and serial.

I know that control4 supports this matrix via serial, and that you can IR blast the commands (pre-built into logitech harmonys)

my situation is that i have one of those in a centrally located rack, but was curious what my options were for controlling.

i'm not crazy about the closed source/programmability of control4, so i was hoping for something a bit more flexible, is there any other software (linux or windows) that makes use of the serial protocol for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Got one coming this week. Will let you know what I end up doing
post #3 of 8 Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 PM

Liked: 10
I have no issues, have a apple tv, xbox, popcorn hour and a dish, all four display at two 46" tv's and a 32" tv, Im not using the ir as I have a global cache driving all my hardware as I use an iPhone as a remote, my only complain is the when I switch from one source to the other I have a 5 second blackout in all tv's, but for the price I dont mind
post #4 of 8 Old 08-22-2012, 11:14 AM

Liked: 11
jpclement, from reading the reviews on the Monoprice website for this product (I assume you are referring to PID 5704), I see that people only mention the small blackout when someone is tuning in to a source that is already being watched in another zone (in that case all zone tuning into that source get the blackout). However, if I am watching source #1 in zone 1 and someone in zone 2 tunes into source #2, then zone 1 should not experience the blackout. That is the way I understood it from the reviews. For people with this product, please clarify since I am looking to get one very shortly.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 PM

I refer to item 8151 and yes the blackout is only in the zone, it seems that it those that to sink with the tv, after the first time I dont get the blackout
post #6 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpclement View Post

I refer to item 8151 and yes the blackout is only in the zone, it seems that it those that to sink with the tv, after the first time I dont get the blackout

Are you using irule to control the 8151? I have just purchased one and have yet to set it up. I've looked over the commands and think I have a handle on the proper syntax for global cache serial control via iRule, but am not sure since I can't test it until all is set up after my basement remodel is finished.

If you have commands for all 4 input/output combos, can you share your device in iRule?

If you're not using iRule can you let me know what one of your commands looks like? That way I can save some time testing....

thanks!

More related to this thread, I have 4 1080p TVs, and when I first got the 8151 matrix I did a quick test of 1080P signal via PS3, playing a Blu-ray movie and a 1080i signal from Directv. I was able to switch between either source to 3 of my TVs and though it was hard to be sure, I only noticed a black screen the first time I switched to a source that was being watched on 1 TV when a 2nd TV got added. For its price it seemed to work extremely well.

I am using 2 CAT6 STP cables from monoprice with 1 run being about 80ft, 2 being 50 ft and one that I have yet to test using a 35ft hdmi cable.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #7 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 03:20 PM

I'm not using iRule, have it in my list to try it out later, you can also look at Roomie, I'm currently using Elve to control all my house (multizone audio, CCTV, thermostats, light, apple tv, dish, popcorn hour, xBox, video matrix, plus numbers of scenes and rules) if you want I can pull the data from my system once I'm home, you could also try to see if some one at remote central has it or either google it. BTW my runs are shorter but I did test it first with a 100 ft cable with no issues, for the price I have no complain.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-14-2012, 11:38 AM

I have the monoprice 5704. I use the BOCs system to control it. I originally had the BOCs also providing SD sources -- but those have long since vanished. However, the basic BOCs remote back to the centralized RF -> IR converter work really well:

1) RF vs IR -- so no need for any 'bugs' at TVs. Also no need to point to the TV except for volume and on/off.

2) Support for 3 sources with fairly simple controls. Was an easy switch from my TiVo remotes. I also 'squeeze in' the controls for the 5704 into one of the existing sources -- so I have 2 TiVos + HTPC + 5704 control in a single remote.

3) Good range. I've never had an issue in a 3 floor house with the BOCs/monoprice units in a wood cabinet. A range extender is available, however.

4) Macro support with enough flexibility for me. Not a full high-end URC or Logitech, however. For instance I need to press 'on' + the desired source select button on sitting down to watch - rather than a single button press.

5) A lot of the programming is done to the 'base unit' rather that to the individual remotes. The means that very little needs to be done when you add another remote -- just set it up for the TV it is talking to -- not all the sources.

6) $99 for base BOCs unit + 1 remote. $50 for each add'l remote. Hard to beat.

http://www.bocsco.com/

- andy
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Monoprice , 4x4 True Matrix Hdmi 1 3a Powered Switch W Remote Controller Rev 3 0 , Control4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page