Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-18-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi everyone,

I'm not far off starting rennovation on a house which has not been touched for 60 years, all electrics will be replaced and the house gutted so it seems like a good time to get whole house multi room put in place.

Really I'm looking for ideas of what could be done with what I have and the budget I have available. Total budget is about $10000 for automation and control and amplification/speakers for all but the primary room. I would at least 3 zones (Lviing Room, Kitchen and Dining room) although more would be a bonus. The living room will have a 19" rack equipment cupboard for control units, poweramps etc.)

Existing equipment:
Large amount of rack storage - Runs Linux and offers Upnp and SMB/NFS share of MP3s, FLACs and MKVs (No other file formats)
AMX NI-3000 and MVP-7500 (Somewhat broken) - Not sure if want to go the AMX route again, I can do some basic AMX programming and RS232 work

Equipment I would like to use in the house:
Samsung ES Series TVs - They offer Freesat here in the UK and I know they can play all of my media nicely over Upnp. They can be controlled over IP and I would want the sound for them to be through the ceiling speakers.
New Prepro for Living Room (Will offer control over IP or RS232)

I took a look at the Nuvo Essentia setup and it looks pretty good if a tad excessive for my needs. The Samsung TVs audio output could be fed back into control rack and then the AMX or PC could integrate the Nuvo control pads (I had a look at the Nuvo RS232 protocol and it looks quite nice), TVs and living room prepro. The cost of the Nuvo music system seemed excessive with nowhere near enough storage although the T2-DAB looked tempting.

I could really do with some ideas on is the multi room control and audio. Are there any other keypad style multiroom setups that would be easier to integrate with generic storage? Any that work with DLNA/UPNP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-20-2012, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I may not be in the majority, but I would separate audio from whole house control. Everything is going to Android/iPhone.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 41
That's what I did

have 6-zone sonos for audio.

use HomeSeer with z-wave for automation (hooked into HVAC and security system).

Just looking at video switching to supply 4 sources to two (maybe 3 eventually) independent zones. Ordered monoprice 4x2 HDMI matrix to test. If it all works will probably upgrade to Gefen 444 or similar.

Wouldn't want to have to call CI just to upgrade AV stuff.

Regards

Mark
post #4 of 6 Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It is an interesting point about Iphone/Android. I'm unsure if I want to wire in keypads or not but only due to future software / compatability options.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

It is an interesting point about Iphone/Android. I'm unsure if I want to wire in keypads or not but only due to future software / compatability options.

I have 3 wall mounted Kindle Fire's (Android) that I use for my HS. They do run the Sonos app, but to date, I've never used if for that. my HomeSeer system has a Sonos plug-in and i use some basic functions (pause/resume all). I'm generally within arms reach of an iOS device or one of the 4 Sonos CR100 controllers to control the music.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-23-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Definitely wire for keypads anywhere you might be able to use one. You don't have to surface the wires into blank plates - just document the locations (photos, measurements), secure the wires in the stud cavity and sheetrock over them. May cost you $5/run in cat5e wire - never be that cheap again.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Amplifier Speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page