House already wired... please tell me what you recommend for this configuration.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My house is wired as follows:
- 5 pair of speaker wires in living room
- 8 pair of speaker wires in rest of house
- 4 cat5e cables run to rest of house (each room where pair of speaker wires runs)

All cables go to a 'hub' in the living room.

From what I have read, A-BUS systems require speaker wires to be run from the wall plates in each zone to each pair of speakers. Is it possible to run everything (speaker wires + cat5e) to an A-BUS distribution to work with my setup?

I am looking at an Onkyo TX-NR515 to power the 5 speakers in the living room, and running the zone2 out to an A-BUS distribution if this configuration works. I like the 515 as it has a spotify player implemented, and allows iphone/ipad control. I'd like to do the same (iphone/ipad control) with the rest of the speakers in the house. What do you recommend?

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-20-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Depends on where that cat5 is run. Are the cat5 wires in each zone wired to a volume control location (switch height)? Are the speaker wires looped through that location as well? If yes to both, you could use an ABus system. But you don't have to. If the speaker wires are home run (which you say they are), you have lots of choices not limited to A-Bus. If the cat5 wires are in the volume control location, you can use basically any system with keypads as well.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Speaker Systems , Cat5 Composite Video Digital Stereo Audio Transmitter Sb 6235t
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page