New Home Home Theater Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-20-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone. I've done a lot of reading of this awesome forum but this is my first post. I am a newbie to AV so I may not understand all the technical terms but thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

I purchased a new home and want to set up a home theater system. The living room is wired for a center channel speaker, two front speakers and two rear speakers along with HDMI in the wall for a TV. The porch is wired for two speakers and has coaxial cable in the wall for a TV.

Here is what I'd like to be able to do:

- Listen to internet radio and Airplay outside in Zone 2 without having the same audio playing inside in Zone 1
- Have the same football game playing on the Zone 1 TV and the Zone 2 TV without any sync issues between the two and have the audio playing in both zones.
- Control both zones' volume independently of each other with my iPhone or iPad
- I'd like to not have a Dish Network box on the porch. I'd like to piggyback off the living room TV and have both play the exact same programming at the same time if possible.

Here is the equipment I have in mind. Please let me know if this will accomplish my goals or if I need to add additional equipment.

Zone 1 - Living Room
Panny GT50 - 60 Inch
Def Tech ProCinema 600 mounted with ProMount 80s
Denon 2112Ci

Zone 2 - Back Porch
Sony LED
Def Tech AW6500s

Will this equipment get it done? I'm most confused on the Denon receiver choice.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-20-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post

Here is what I'd like to be able to do:
- Listen to internet radio and Airplay outside in Zone 2 without having the same audio playing inside in Zone 1

Yep, an A/V receiver with Airplay / Internet radio support, Zone 2 outputs will do that - but make sure the particular model states that Airplay and Internet Radio sources are available to zone2.
Quote:
- Have the same football game playing on the Zone 1 TV and the Zone 2 TV without any sync issues between the two and have the audio playing in both zones.

If there's only coax available at that location, you'll need to send HDMI from your Dish set-top box to that location using an HDMI-over-coax solution (not cheap, but possible). That may mean you have to locate your set-top box at some central location, if you don't have a spare coax in your family room to "feed" the cable that eventually leads to the patio.
Quote:
- Control both zones' volume independently of each other with my iPhone or iPad

Well, control of the AVR is easy as long as the model supports an "app". The major brand apps have zone2 controls...
Quote:
I'd like to not have a Dish Network box on the porch. I'd like to piggyback off the living room TV and have both play the exact same programming at the same time if possible.

See above. If you use two set-top boxes, you'll just locate the porch box wherever the coax is fed from. RF remote for that box would be important, and you'll have independent control. But in order to feed the TV audio to the AVR, you'll need a wire between the set-top box and the AVR (cat5 can do this).

One set-top box makes the audio part easier, but whether that makes sense will depend on where all your wires go and what you've got available...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 08-21-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yep, an A/V receiver with Airplay / Internet radio support, Zone 2 outputs will do that - but make sure the particular model states that Airplay and Internet Radio sources are available to zone2.

will the Denon 2112Ci allow this?
post #4 of 6 Old 08-21-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post

will the Denon 2112Ci allow this?

Don't know for sure (but probably does). I would suggest asking in the Receiver forum - I assume there's an owners' thread...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 6 Old 08-21-2012, 01:34 PM

Liked: 12
The 2112 does not allow Airplay in Zone 2 only. Thus if you want airplay in Zone 2 it's going to heard in Zone 1 as well. My understanding is the Denon xx13 receivers do allow discrete Zone 2 Airplay use.

If you go to the receiver forum here on AVS and search for official denon owner's thread for that model you can then search that topic for airplay zone 2.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-23-2012, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhug View Post

The 2112 does not allow Airplay in Zone 2 only. Thus if you want airplay in Zone 2 it's going to heard in Zone 1 as well. My understanding is the Denon xx13 receivers do allow discrete Zone 2 Airplay use.
If you go to the receiver forum here on AVS and search for official denon owner's thread for that model you can then search that topic for airplay zone 2.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm thinking the Dennon 2113 will work well. I can run both the porch and living room displays with the parallel HDMI out and also have Airplay in Zone 2.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Wall Mount , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Sony , Led Hdtv , Definitive Technology Aw 6500 Outdoor Speaker Single Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page