advice needed re: streaming audio in an apple ecosystem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-24-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've searched google and the forums here and have yet to see a consistent answer / how to; I'm hoping you guys may be able to finally put this question to bed for me.

What I'd like to do:

1. Have a single library of music on a server (this can be a simple CIFS / NFS share or iTunes)
2. Stream music to multiple zones from the server
2b. Stream the same song to multiple zones (in sync)
2c. stream different songs to different zones at the same time.
3. Have everything controllable / selectable via iPhone / iPad without having to VNC into the server or walk over to the server

Currently the "server" is a mac mini with external RAID attached (this is powered on at all times (although i'd prefer to get wake on lan working correctly)). This mac also streams MKV's to the home theatre running Boxee.

Video is currently setup and working fine. The audio distribution is where i need help.

I was originally thinking that I would run an Airport Expresses or AppleTV as the endpoint for each audio zone. I'd hook each one up to an audiosource amp to power 2 in ceiling speakers per zone.

What isn't clear to me is if i have 3 appleTVs connected to a single mac mini if i can accomplish 2c above.
I also can't find an answer to 3. Once the ATVs are setup, can i not have any video output connected and still be able to select content using the remote app on an iphone?

Is there another way to do this? Basically i just want to use an iOS device to select music off of a server and decide where in the house it will be played (including different songs simultaneously in different rooms). I looked at Sonos, but really don't want to have to do $500 / zone since i want to use my own speakers. With simple 2 channel amps in the $50-100 range and ATVs at $99 each, $200 / zone is much more attractive.

Networking wise, everything is wireable, so i don't need to worry much about saturating the wifi network.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-24-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Sonos... Use the Sonos:Connect if you have an AVR, or the Sonos:Amp if you just have speakers...

Otherwise, AppleTV for each zone, with an external DAC and an inexpensive amp. Cheaper, but probably not nearly as easy/clean a solution. And the AppleTV route will not get you multi-zone sync.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page