Niles or Russound? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am at a point with the house building that I need to choose a system to distribute a/v to about 11 zones in the house. What do you guys recommend between the Niles or Russound system? Not into home automation so just want a decent system in place. One installer tells me the Niles is better as it can handle more power output for speakers but need to add on stuff for iPad or andriod control whereas the Russound I've seen has this interface built in. So having a tough time to decide as still a noob. Budget is somewhat flexible but we're not huge audiophiles. Prefer watching HD sports or movies.

Off topic, to stream movies off the NAS, would I need a media player/htpc etc connected to the tv to play?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I suggest another opinion about the Russound, from a Russound dealer. Just to keep it even.

And yeah, too bad there isn't an off-the-shelf media server/NAS available, maybe something that's DuneHD and Sonos compatible, and yet more affordable than Kaleidescape.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

What major difference between the 2? How about Nuvo if Russound is out?
post #4 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Biased as I chose NuVo for my house, but still think it's the best option of the three. And I don't know a better one in that price range either. Higher-cost systems will get you into the automation realm - if you're not interested in that, won't be worth the extra cost. If you consider NuVo, you should treat the MPS4 (or MPS4/e) music server as a mandatory part of the system - both for the digital / Internet streaming sources, and that's also where the mobile/tablet device control comes into play...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 10 Old 08-28-2012, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

The obvious (relative) limitation of Nuvo is that it's audio only. Has worked well for my needs, though, too, with the MPS4 music server.

I wonder how well Vidabox's AV server, the LiivNAS, integrates with Russound for video.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 10 Old 09-04-2012, 07:09 PM

As an owner of a Russound solution, I think I would look elsewhere at this point. It's been ok but I would like more power in many of the zones.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Not loud enough? Which model?

Russound makes amps for those zones that need more power. Nuvo does too.

post #8 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 AM

The Niles ICS GXR2 system, though not the newest kid on the block, has performed quite well for me. With their IM-NET Card, you can pipe in all of your music via a NAS drive (Can't recall the specifics of what the NAS drive needs to be running).

The 85W/channel (x12) at 4 ohms is more than enough in my house so I don't have any complaints. Their recent partnership with Elan is interesting, but you need a $1200 Elan G! controller (HC4 or better) if you want to have iPhone control. Otherwise, the portable iRemotes work well.

Good luck,
post #9 of 10 Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 AM

If power is an issue i also have a R1250MC amp to compliment the Russound mca c5, This gives additional power to 4 zones and can also be added to

John
post #10 of 10 Old 09-07-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

How is Xantech or RTI compare? These 2 don't seem to be as popular due to price? Amongst the quotes I got so far Russound is the most cost effective.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Niles , Russound , Sonos