Looking for help sending HD Video throughout my house. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-28-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have spent quite a few hours looking for a solution to my problem, and I just can't seem to find a solution that isn't insanely expensive.

Currently in my house there is a utility room in my basement with a hub for all the coax/Cat5e runs that I have going to every room in the house. My ultimate goal is to build a HTPC with XBMC, and send the audio/HDvideo from that PC to the different TVs in my house.

Now I am aware of HDMI over Ethernet and some of the products that Monoprice has. This may sound stupid, but from what I understand no use of switches or anything would allow you to use that ethernet run for your Computer Network + HDMI signal. So this effectively would be turning my ethernet runs into long HDMI cables. My issue with this solution is that I really would like to utilize my ethernet runs for computer networking.

So my next thought is to try and send my HD signal over Coax. Wow... not cheap. I found a couple different solutions. The cheapest being Cables to Go 40574 TruLink HDMI over Coax Transmitter and Receiver. Its $282 on Amazon for a Transmitter and Receiver, then an additional $150 for each receiver after that.

From there I came across "Channel Plus 5415HD Single-Channel HD Modulator" And Zeevee. Love the idea, hate the cost. I think the prices are so high on these because they are mostly used commercially .

A solution I would love to see(If it even exists), is something that uses your ethernet network to send your audio and video. Then you buy some device that you plug your ethernet cable into, then it outputs HDMI or Component to the TV. Pretty much VNC without the computer. I have found things that do this wireless, but reviews are not very good and its often limited to one transmitter/receiver.

I guess to explain my overall problem is that I stream 95% of our TV and Movie watching from my server. Currently I have Popcorn Hour A-100 devices on each of the TVs. I want to upgrade them, but I hate the idea that every time I need to upgrade my media streamers, I need to shell out the cash for 5 different devices.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Well, you've covered most all of the solution options. The short answer is HD distribution isn't cheap or easy. And no, it's not "HDMI over Ethernet", it's HDMI over Cat5 (category) wiring. The two aren't the same, with the exception of a true IP-based solution from JustAddPower (you won't like the cost of that setup, either...).

For a single source, many displays, the ZeeVee product will be the most flexible (note that you'll need component video output to use it). You don't say how many displays you have, but individual Popcorn Hour boxes or similar streamers may be the least expensive depending on the count.

HDBaseT solutions do allow for a single-cat5e solution for HDMI + Ethernet + IR. Monoprice has a kit for ~$220/run. We should start seeing more matrix switch products using this technology soon - hopefully they will include the Ethernet pass-through features as consuming the "only" cat5e runs will be an issue for a lot of installations.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 14 Old 09-02-2012, 11:33 AM

Instead of streaming the video from the utility room why not stream data instead?

Set up a media server down there (I use unRAID myself) and then hook up an Apple TV (version 1 or 2) or a Pivos DS running XBMC at each screen location. That way you can use your existing network infrastructure and also enjoy 720p (AppleTV) or 1080 (Pivos) HD video.

You can use the hardware that you are planning for the HTPC for the media server and your cost per screen will be cheap -- $100-150 per ATV/Pivos box. XBMC works very nicely on ATV and reasonably well (it's currently in beta) on the Pivos.
post #4 of 14 Old 09-15-2012, 06:36 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the thread.

I've been reading for hours looking to solve a similar problem, and this thread has offered the most so far. Lots of mentions out there of the oppressively-priced zeevee, but maybe I can get by with the TruLink product.

Here's a question for Jeff or any AV guru: I don't need HD quality on my secondary TVs. Is there a lower cost, non-HD solution to send output from my server through my home's existing coax?

Many thanks in advance.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-15-2012, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyzer View Post

Here's a question for Jeff or any AV guru: I don't need HD quality on my secondary TVs. Is there a lower cost, non-HD solution to send output from my server through my home's existing coax?
Many thanks in advance.

Yes. Old-school modulation. You'd need to modulate each source (just one-the server, right?) to a separate channel, then add a splitter with enough outputs to go to all of your displays.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 08:59 AM

Thanks cshepard. Something like this? (should have put an X over the coax input into TV1)
post #7 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you poke around the forum you will find a few discussions about a product called BOCS. This is all in one SD distribution that has a built in 3 channel composite modulation, RF learning remotes, and is pretty easy to set up.

I've got one and its pretty slick for distribution at the sake of losing HD quality. It works for me as I do 95% of my watching at one location and occasionally watch a show while working out or for a kid somewhere else.

Not a good long term solution as everything is going HD but works now. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have questions. Oh and I think its in the $200-300 price range.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-17-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
HDBASET ETHERNET AND HDMI OVER 1 CAT-5e

Monoprice has them for around $230.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-17-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

HDBASET ETHERNET AND HDMI OVER 1 CAT-5e
Monoprice has them for around $230.

Will this not only send 1080 over Cat 5 but also a provide a separate ethernet port for internet and IR?

My master bedroom has one cat 5 cable / outlet. I'd like to get 1080 from my media room downstaris Blu Ray player and also have an etherent port so I can plug my DIRECTV box into it so it can go to the internet for pay Per View. I read about this piece but didn't understand if I can get all of this?

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #10 of 14 Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Will this not only send 1080 over Cat 5 but also a provide a separate ethernet port for internet and IR?
My master bedroom has one cat 5 cable / outlet. I'd like to get 1080 from my media room downstaris Blu Ray player and also have an etherent port so I can plug my DIRECTV box into it so it can go to the internet for pay Per View. I read about this piece but didn't understand if I can get all of this?

Yes, in the full implementation (the better of the two models at Monoprice), it's a "5 play". HDMI, RS232, IR, Ethernet (and power)... All over one cat5e.

And yes, it's that cool. biggrin.gif

Jeff
adk highlander likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #11 of 14 Old 09-19-2012, 02:36 AM

what is monoprice's parts number?
post #12 of 14 Old 09-19-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetree75154 View Post

what is monoprice's parts number?

Monoprice # 8122 and # 8123

The HDBaseT stuff is easy to pick out - they show 100m / 328' range...

Jeff

post #13 of 14 Old 09-19-2012, 05:08 PM

The Monoprice units as recommended work great, just note that they do not have the Audio return channel funtion.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-28-2012, 08:29 PM

First follow up:

Background: I dumped cable TV, XBMC is mostly getting the job done. My goal was to run the content from my home theater through the existing home coax. Low cost, low hassle. Didn't need HD on the secondary TVs, just wanted to work in other rooms and still enjoy whatever content I was rolling.

Liked the sound of jmanderson10's suggestion of BOCS, did some more reading, and plunked down the whopping $100. Worked like a charm.

Some tweaks I had to make to get everything working fast and cheap:
- added an HDMI splitter from the Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver out, one to main TV, one headed toward BOCS, but first into an
- HDMI to composite converter, to feed BOCS

Also had to move my cable modem upstream from the BOCS filter, as they were not playing well together.

Big Happy. biggrin.gif
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Iogear Cat5e 6 Extender , Monoprice , Channel Plus , Receivers Amplifiers , Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread - A100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page