Not much talk about AirPlay... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Keypads are cool, but frankly, the technology isn't lazy enough to suit my needs. In my new home I've pre-wired for speakers and volume controls in each room. I plan to get an AirPlay-compatible receiver with 2 zones. Bedroom has an auto A/B switch, so it can also act as its own zone.

I really enjoy the idea of AirPlay. To be able to have full control with the device already in my pocket is very appealing. However, the idea of always having to physically power-on the receiver makes me sad. I'm yet to hear/see of a solution for this.

I'd love to hear thoughts on other positives or negatives.

One more thing. I've been building my somewhat-legal music library for 15+ years, and I'm exhausted. It's too hard and expensive to stay current. I've recently coverted to Spotify for $10/mo. It rides along with my current iTunes setup. It also gives me access to whatever I want, and I want it all!

I feel like I'm cheating the system. Some people pay $2k for a music server and then still need to purchase music. And let's be honest, Pandora gets lame after a while.

I really think the trend is going in this direction. To be able to have all the benefits of a proprietary WHA system, without having to pay that crazy premium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
A lot of the receivers with Airplay support will also have control apps, so you can start them up from anywhere. You may have to switch apps once you do that, but at least you don't have to get out of your chair... biggrin.gif

Other option is an Airport Express (to receive the Airplay stream) fed to an amplifier with auto-on (signal sensing).

And yes, Spotify and other subscription-based services are very appealing. As they continue to make it easier to get a high-quality signal to our high-quality playback systems, this gets better and better.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 08-31-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

I love this forum.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:00 AM

I am using airplay to stream audio around my home, and it works nearly flawlessly. I'm really excited to see that the new update of airplay (airplay direct), will not even require a wi-fi connection to use... although that won't make a difference in my setup.

Currently, my setup contains one Apple TV, and two airport expresses. Each device is connected to a zone. So, I have the AppleTV setup as the Living Room Zone, and each of the airport express units configured for "Patio" and "Kitchen". From any iOS device I can stream my media where. It's really great using the iPad or iPhone as a remote control.

I have the AppleTV connected to a Denon 991 in the living room, and each of the airport express units connected to a 12 channel amp in a wiring closet. The amp comes on automatically when it receives a signal. I also tested out an Audiosource amp-100 before going with the 12 channel amp. The audiosource also has an signal detect/power on capacity, and worked well.

I use pandora mostly, but haven't signed up for the spotify app yet. Pandora serves my needs pretty well, but understand it isn't a solution for everyone. Great thing about airplay is that it is source agnostic. So, anything you can play on your device can be streamed via airplay. (I also use Plex for media, and can stream that to the apple TV, which is really awesome).

I'd highly suggest anyone looking to create a multi-zone setup investigate airplay. Especially if you already have iOS devices. If you don't have iPad/iPhone, then buying those devices can get expensive...
Old 08-31-2012, 11:26 AM

Liked: 11
What amplifiers are you using at your airplay-only sites? A couple months back, I posted re: amplification to stream Airplay to architectural speakers, and the recommendation was just to use a full A/V receiver because they'd cost less than comparable amps. Only driving six speakers with passive volume control.

Also have hardwiring from my main HT receiver area to the airplay-only terminal, so I can pre-out zone 2 any Spotify/Pandora/etc.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlucas View Post

I also tested out an Audiosource amp-100 before going with the 12 channel amp.

That sounds awesome!

So will the AppleTV hooked up to the Denon communicate to the Expresses in your closet? Your kitchen/patio aren't hooked up to the Denon at all, but can you ultimately get audio from the Denon to them?

Can I ask why you chose the amp that you did?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaelia View Post

Also have hardwiring from my main HT receiver area to the airplay-only terminal, so I can pre-out zone 2 any Spotify/Pandora/etc.

Pre-out? Could you explain that to me a little further please? Pretend I'm your grandmother, haha...
Old 08-31-2012, 01:32 PM

Liked: 11
Some A/V receivers can do pre-amp passthrough of audio signals to a second zone. Some can also do powered amplification of signals to zone 2, but usually only to a couple speakers. The pre-amp output requires an amplifier to be on the other end to provide powered amplification to the speakers.

Of which I have six.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaelia View Post

What amplifiers are you using at your airplay-only sites? A couple months back, I posted re: amplification to stream Airplay to architectural speakers, and the recommendation was just to use a full A/V receiver because they'd cost less than comparable amps. Only driving six speakers with passive volume control.

I'm using a sonance amp 1230, which I got off ebay. I think the niles 1230 is also a good choice for an architectural type installation. Both provide 12 channels at 30 watts each. 30 watts doesn't sound like a lot, but it gets plenty loud for anything I've hooked up to it. If you plan on driving more demanding speakers, something like this probably would not work. (although, you can bridge them to have 6 channels, each with 75? (I think) watts.

The only volume control I use is on the iOS device I am steaming from. (iPad or iPhone). I set the maximum volume I want on the amp, then back it down to reasonable listening levels on the airplay source. I imagine you could use a volume control somewhere in between the Amp and speakers just as well....
Old 09-01-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ervin View Post

That sounds awesome!
So will the AppleTV hooked up to the Denon communicate to the Expresses in your closet? Your kitchen/patio aren't hooked up to the Denon at all, but can you ultimately get audio from the Denon to them?
Can I ask why you chose the amp that you did?

Actually, I'm not really using the airplay feature of the Denon amp at all. It's only amplifying the signal from the AppleTV. So, I airplay to the AppleTV, which is connected to the Denon and TV. (I also use the AppleTV to watch movies and such, connected to the TV). To send a signal to the other zones, I use my iPad/iPhone to airplay to the airport express units. The two airport express units are connected to the Sonance 1230 amp, which is a 12 channel 30 watt/channel amp. Channels can be bridged for more power.

I chose this particular amp because I got it for a steal on ebay. But there are other 12 channel amps which would work just fine. (Audiosource, Niles, Sonance, etc). I chose this one because it has a signal sensing power on feature. So, the amp is only on when it's getting a signal from one of the airport express units. There is a slight delay when starting it up while the amp powers up, but it's only a few seconds...
Old 10-27-2012, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlucas View Post

I am using airplay to stream audio around my home, and it works nearly flawlessly. I'm really excited to see that the new update of airplay (airplay direct), will not even require a wi-fi connection to use... although that won't make a difference in my setup.
Currently, my setup contains one Apple TV, and two airport expresses. Each device is connected to a zone. So, I have the AppleTV setup as the Living Room Zone, and each of the airport express units configured for "Patio" and "Kitchen". From any iOS device I can stream my media where. It's really great using the iPad or iPhone as a remote control.
I have the AppleTV connected to a Denon 991 in the living room, and each of the airport express units connected to a 12 channel amp in a wiring closet. The amp comes on automatically when it receives a signal. I also tested out an Audiosource amp-100 before going with the 12 channel amp. The audiosource also has an signal detect/power on capacity, and worked well.
I use pandora mostly, but haven't signed up for the spotify app yet. Pandora serves my needs pretty well, but understand it isn't a solution for everyone. Great thing about airplay is that it is source agnostic. So, anything you can play on your device can be streamed via airplay. (I also use Plex for media, and can stream that to the apple TV, which is really awesome).
I'd highly suggest anyone looking to create a multi-zone setup investigate airplay. Especially if you already have iOS devices. If you don't have iPad/iPhone, then buying those devices can get expensive...

I know this is an older post but i think this is what I'm exactly looking for. I have a couple of questions regarding your setup. Can you listen to different content on different zones at the same time thru the airport expresses? And can you stream the same audio content to all zones for entertaining purposes? I have recently located all my audio/ video equipment to a central location in a closet. I was originally going to just purchase 4 Sonos Connect Amps, but 2,000 fust for the Sono's are a little expensive. I will mainly be streaming content off of an Idevice or streaming pandora.

What do you think of this amp?
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-815

Thanks