HELP...Share components between a projector and a tv. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-02-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in dire need of assistance so any input would be appreciated. I am getting a bar installed and have the current setup:

Sherwood New Castle R-865 (yes I know...it's a bit out dated)
Connected to it is a HD-Cable Box, DVD Player, and DLP Projector

What I would like to do is be able to share the components with the new TV at the bar.

My question... how (if possible) can I run cables to the tv at the bar without having to point the remote at the components(across the room) and has the least amount of signal loss?

Hardware suggestions, model numbers, etc. Would be helpful. The only options I see are either to split the monitor out(component) to the projector and the new tv(which I'd still need to run some kind of ir receiver...any suggestions?) or run cables using room 2 option but I would still need an ir receiver near the new tv AND it is composite out and not component.

Again, any feedback is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-02-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Simplest remote solution would be to convert your remote(s) to RF using the "Next Generation Remote Control Extender":

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B000C1Z0HA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346603540&sr=8-1&keywords=next+generation+remote+control+extender

If you're using component video, you could either add a distribution amp/splitter and long cables, or use a component-over-cat5 setup. CE Labs has the CAT5TX / CAT5RX pair that has a "loop output" so it's easy to add to an existing setup. There are cheaper solutions, but I've seen mixed results with some of them, so YMMV...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

have you had any personal experience with the Next Generation Remote Control Extender? I was told I should be able to get by with just a simple component splitter as well but trying to get some feedback.
post #4 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I second Jeff's recommendation for the NextGen remote extender, I've been using one for several years to control components in my basement from my bedroom on the 1st floor. It works with most remotes but not with remotes that use their own rechargeable battery packs. What makes the NextGen unique is that the transmitter resides inside the remote's battery compartment so there's no need to point the remote at anything....highly recommended.

Vin
post #5 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcorecamraman View Post

have you had any personal experience with the Next Generation Remote Control Extender? I was told I should be able to get by with just a simple component splitter as well but trying to get some feedback.

Yes. Works great. And +1 on everything Vin said...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #6 of 17 Old 08-14-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Hey all.

So I am running the receiver with a radio shack splitter. Cable video and audio is great. Though when I switch to dvd(sd) the audio is very low. Any thoughts? I currently have is running with both component and composite audio and neither of them work. The cable is connected digital audio.

Thanks
post #7 of 17 Old 08-14-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

The output levels of analog vs. digital products may be different - your AVR may have a setting to adjust these differences between sources.

What signals are you splitting? Analog audio volume will be affected by passive splitters, but the digital signals will not. At least, not directly in terms of volume.

Jeff

post #8 of 17 Old 08-14-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff,
Audio signals into the receiver are digital and they are analog going out. I can't figure out why the cable volume is fine and yet the dvd volume isn't. I would think if it is being split coming out of the receiver and the cable to the second tv is the one carrying the signal then the audio would be messed up for both sources. Now, the only way it seems I can get audio is using a room 2 option which it is as if the audio from the dvd player is carried on a second cable. :-(
post #9 of 17 Old 08-14-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Where are the audio levels different? Is this from speakers attached to the AVR, or the TV speakers?

Audio levels can and will be different from source-to-source, unfortunately.

post #10 of 17 Old 08-14-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

The audio level are extremely low on the tv. There is also a slight humming which is not present when watching cable. I have never experienced anything like this when splitting audio. As mentioned it almost sounds like the audio from the dvd is a separate cable but it isn't. I am completely clueless.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The audio level are extremely low on the tv. There is also a slight humming which is not present when watching cable. I have never experienced anything like this when splitting audio. As mentioned it almost sounds like the audio from the dvd is a separate cable but it isn't. I am completely clueless.

What are you splitting, and what cables EXACTLY are running to the TV and where are they coming from? Most TVs don't have digital audio inputs, so the audio is coming from somewhere else...

post #12 of 17 Old 08-15-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Audio is digital out to Sherwood New Castle r-865 and out component. The thing is the audio out from the receiver goes directly to the tv so that isn't split.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-15-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Audio is digital out to Sherwood New Castle r-865 and out component. The thing is the audio out from the receiver goes directly to the tv so that isn't split.

Component is video-only, not audio. If you're taking a 5-RCA cable from the Sherwood to the TV (with red/white RCA), that will be analog audio. If so, where are those L/R (red/white) analog audio jacks connected on the Sherwood? They will need to be on a fixed output - pre-amp outputs will be variable. A "tape loop" record out is a good choice.

post #14 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm will have to try. They are connected to the analog outs for room 2 on the receiver. I will try one of the other outputs but I am not sure if I can listen to audio different then the video input at the same time. I guess theoretically I should be able to but not sure if I can. The other weird thing is I have both cable box and dvd player connected via digital coaxial and yet the audio is only messed up on tv when dvd player is selected.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Most AVRs (until very recently) would not convert digital sources to analog for Zone2 output. So you're very likely listening to a different signal path. If you're controlling volume with the TV, you also need to make the Zone2 output "fixed" instead of variable if you can. You say that you've connected the DVD player via digital - are you sure? I'm surprised you get any audio at all on the zone2 output.

post #16 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah. Oddly the cables from connected to room 2 out carry both signals but the dvd is VERY weak. I tried your suggestion and connected to aux and it worked. it's a little bit of a pain since I have to keep switching audio for the dvd but since my projector is dead and I am looking for a new one I only use the second tv so I wil manage for now. Hopefully I can upgrade my avr. Any suggestions on a good one?
post #17 of 17 Old 08-17-2013, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hopefully I can upgrade my avr. Any suggestions on a good one?

Anything current. AVRs have had a huge increase in functionality in the last few years. Get one with Ethernet / Network support so you have Internet streaming services and IP / "app" controls. Room correction systems are built-in to a lot of models as well, which is probably the "step up" feature worth looking at.

Jeff

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Sherwood , Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page