Multiroom Audio - iPhone/Ipad Controlled. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-03-2012, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
G'day Guys,

About two years ago I had a new house built and during construction a wired the home for multiroom audio using the Russound C3 system. Loved the system, which was relatively cheap.

My only gripe was the large wall mounted keypads and the lack of control with say an iPhone.

I am in the process of building a second house and would like a similar system; 6 or more zones, 6 inputs but I want to control the zones and inputs just with an app on the iPhone/ipad.

Can anyone recommend a system that can do this or any suggestions of achieving this as cheaply as possible.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-03-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Nuvo, Russound, and Sonos each offers a setup that meets most of your needs. Not cheap, though.

I'd wire the house conventionally, and choose your favorite when you move in. Tech changes rapidly.

I'd wire for keypads, and leave the category cables buried in the walls. You may decide to eventually use them.

Sonos is announcing a new product this week. Nuvo also has a new system. I haven't kept up with Russound.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 15 Old 09-03-2012, 08:15 AM

Liked: 24
Cheap? How about using AirPlay? iTunes has had it for a while, lets you play out to any or all "zones" that have an airplay destination device such as many AVRs, Apple TVs, or AirportXpress units. The lowest cost solution is probably using AirportXpress units for each zone and a low cost amp for that zone. Beats Sonos if you're careful, and offers play control, individual volume controls, and zone selection via iTunes and via iDevices using Apple's Remote app. The limitation is it's all a single stream from a single iTunes library. You can have multiple iTunes libraries running simultaneously, but each has to be on it's own computer. You can also stream Pandora that way, and perhaps others. For multiple sources you'll need something other than a simple amp per zone, and that gets you to a low cost AVR with AirPlay. Now you can have multiple sources per zone. Remote it all with your favorite iPad-based remote control system, and you'll have exactly your goal.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-03-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

I like the idea of using multiple airport express' and having iTunes as a party source, and then each person in the house could use their iPhone as a roaming local source for each zone as well. The only other system I've found is the HTD MCA-66 with an attachment that allows for IP control through iDevices.

Can anyone recommend a place to buy a 6+ zone amplifier that would be compatible with Australia?
post #5 of 15 Old 09-03-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

And my only other question; how much electricity would running 6 airport express' plus a 12 channel amp be?? compared to the HTD MCA-66??

Is there anyway to get the airport express to trigger the 12v trigger on the amp??
post #6 of 15 Old 09-05-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnas20 View Post

And my only other question; how much electricity would running 6 airport express' plus a 12 channel amp be?? compared to the HTD MCA-66??{/quote]
Couldn't find complete specs on the MCA-66, so nothing to compare to. Sorry, no suggestions on an Aussy-compatible amp. An airportxpress uses about 25 watts, though again their specs are not really complete, for example, no current spec at 240v. Might be the same, but that would make the thing run pretty hot, so no real idea.
Quote:

Is there anyway to get the airport express to trigger the 12v trigger on the amp??
Not directly, an AirportXpress has only audio/optical out, and a USB port for a printer, no external controls in or out. Depending on what you want to do with a trigger, there may be alternatives.

One caution on your concept of guests playing their i-devices into a local airport, that might work but I believe if it's already running with iTunes they won't be able to "take over". You'll have to free the Airport first, then let them have access. This also means either your wifi net is open or you give out the password to everybody.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the airport expresses have a standby mode, and only fully active when that particular airport express is streaming audio? Just trying to keep electricity use down as I'm planning of running 6 at a time.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-06-2012, 07:40 AM

No standby mode. But why the concern for power? Are you running everything on solar? A standard light bulb uses 3 times what an Airport uses. Your air conditioner, even for a single room, uses 40 times as much. But you're looking for 6 zones of audio, so you've at least got some space. Do you have a unique power situation?

There are ways to shut stuff down when there's no audio. Not cheap, but possible.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-31-2012, 10:12 PM

I have AirPlay setup for whole house audio in my home. I've got in-ceiling speakers in 6 rooms and 6 Airport Expresses (1 for each room) to which I can stream audio from my iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch or iTunes if I want to stream the same audio to multiple rooms. I've also got 6 Emotive mini-x a-100 amps (one for each Airport Express) driving the speakers. The nice thing about the Emotivas is that they have an "auto on" feature where they'll remain off until it senses a signal from the RCA inputs. So one will only turn on when I'm streaming music to the Airport express it's hooked up to. So you don't need a 12v trigger.

The FYI Emotivas are normally $219 but they go on sale about twice a year for $189.

I only wish I could figure out how I could automatically turn on my Denon 4520 in my living room and other receivers in my master bedroom and office whenever I use airplay to those rooms. Still working on that.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-02-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNER View Post

I have AirPlay setup for whole house audio in my home. I've got in-ceiling speakers in 6 rooms and 6 Airport Expresses (1 for each room) to which I can stream audio from my iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch or iTunes if I want to stream the same audio to multiple rooms. I've also got 6 Emotive mini-x a-100 amps (one for each Airport Express) driving the speakers. The nice thing about the Emotivas is that they have an "auto on" feature where they'll remain off until it senses a signal from the RCA inputs. So one will only turn on when I'm streaming music to the Airport express it's hooked up to. So you don't need a 12v trigger.
The FYI Emotivas are normally $219 but they go on sale about twice a year for $189.
I only wish I could figure out how I could automatically turn on my Denon 4520 in my living room and other receivers in my master bedroom and office whenever I use airplay to those rooms. Still working on that.

I like your set up and thinking about doing this set up myself. A couple of questions:

Why did you choose 6 different amps instead of one like this.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-815

Can you play different content on different zones at the same time?

I have been using the Roomie remote on my iPhone and ipad that works great. this may be an option for you to be able to turn on/off your receivers.

Thanks
post #11 of 15 Old 11-02-2012, 02:31 PM

I'm also building right now. House is wired for whole home audio. My problem is I can't decide on equipment. Looking for the best bang for my buck.

Nuvo and Control4 have been suggested but they are on the pricey side. I was thinking of using just a Russound MCA-C5.

Do you guys think the MCA-C5 would be my best bet for the following?

Unit has to have the ability to be controlled by an ipad. Must have enough output to power 6.5" speakers decently (not looking to wake the numbers but must be able to hear it in a garage. my last abus system wasn't loud enough) All I really care about is being able to listen to radio stations. Don't necessarily require pandora or ability to connect to my computer. Don't care for keypads in the walls. House has 6 zones.

If you all agree the Russound is my best bet, is that the only piece of equipment I will need to do the above? Trying to keep it as cheap as possible. House is already breaking the bank.

Thanks in advance
post #12 of 15 Old 11-02-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dago52 View Post

Why did you choose 6 different amps instead of one like this.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-815

That amp would probably have worked well. Emovtiva has pretty decent reputation so I'd be more confident in the mini-X.
Quote:
Can you play different content on different zones at the same time?

Yes. You'd need separate devices (PC/Mac/iPhone/iPod/iPad) to drive content to each zone though. Not a big deal for me since everyone in the house has at least one Apple device. Also cool since guests with Apple devices can play their own thing in a zone.

You have to use iTunes (on Mac/PC) to drive the same content on multiple zones (party mode). Not sure, but I think there may also be a 5 zone limit here.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-04-2012, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the info. I really like this lay out but I want to see the new NuVo 3 zone unit that suppose to launch this month.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-09-2012, 12:21 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootie View Post

I'm also building right now. House is wired for whole home audio. My problem is I can't decide on equipment. Looking for the best bang for my buck.
Nuvo and Control4 have been suggested but they are on the pricey side. I was thinking of using just a Russound MCA-C5.
Do you guys think the MCA-C5 would be my best bet for the following?
Unit has to have the ability to be controlled by an ipad. Must have enough output to power 6.5" speakers decently (not looking to wake the numbers but must be able to hear it in a garage. my last abus system wasn't loud enough) All I really care about is being able to listen to radio stations. Don't necessarily require pandora or ability to connect to my computer. Don't care for keypads in the walls. House has 6 zones.
If you all agree the Russound is my best bet, is that the only piece of equipment I will need to do the above? Trying to keep it as cheap as possible. House is already breaking the bank.
Thanks in advance

Sounds like the MCA-C5 would suit your needs. You do not need to have any keypads connected to the system when using the iPhone/iPad app, although we do recommend wiring at least one as a backup. Please feel free to contact me if you have specific questions.

Best regards,

Steve

Steve LeBlanc
Director of Customer Support
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
post #15 of 15 Old 11-09-2012, 12:23 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

G'day Guys,
About two years ago I had a new house built and during construction a wired the home for multiroom audio using the Russound C3 system. Loved the system, which was relatively cheap.
My only gripe was the large wall mounted keypads and the lack of control with say an iPhone.
I am in the process of building a second house and would like a similar system; 6 or more zones, 6 inputs but I want to control the zones and inputs just with an app on the iPhone/ipad.
Can anyone recommend a system that can do this or any suggestions of achieving this as cheaply as possible.
Thanks.

I am glad you are happy with your MCA-C3 system, but I wanted to let you know that it is now controllable via our iPhone/iPad app (you likely will need a firmware update). In addition, we now offer a single gang keypad solution that might address your complaint about the existing keypads for your second home.

Please feel free to get in touch with me if you have specific questions about either your existing system, or what your requirements are for your second home.

Best regards,

Steve

Steve LeBlanc
Director of Customer Support
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Russound

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version