Wire run outside.. Grounding issue... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-03-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a detached garage about 15 feet from my house and there is a combo cable (coaxial/ethernet) running from my main house to the garage. The coaxial cable is grounded as it attaches to the main cable tv line for my house. I presume that the inner insulated wire however is not grounded. My question is, do I need to ground the Ethernet wire as well? If so how does that work given that there are 4 twisted pairs in there (8 wires). How does a grounding module touch all of these 8 wires? And that does not make much sense given that the inner wire of coaxial does not seem to be grounded in this case. Does 15 feet warrant grounding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-03-2012, 07:00 PM

No don't ground the Ethernet wire. And the coax doesn't needed to be grounded since it already is at the point of service entry.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

What is the reason you don't need to ground the Ethernet wire? Distance? Combo wire (with some wires already grounded?)... Most websites talk about needing to ground Ethernet if you run it outside.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Perhaps the shield would be grounded, at the main house end? Pretty sure there is no ground wire, with regular category cable.

I believe the garage ground should be the same as the main house ground. I think you want a single reference ground for all electronics.

Underground cable? In conduit?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 13 Old 09-04-2012, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Yea, thick durable combo cable in conduit. the cable looks to have been professionally installed but the cat cable was cut at both ends or never connected. The reason that I am concerned is that when you read about running wire underground there is a major emphasis on grounding it. But most people are talking about runs >100 ft. Wih coaxial it is easy to ground because the outer mesh of wires are in contact with the splitters which can easily be grounded. The conceptual issue I have with grounding cat cable is that ther are 8 wires. I guess the crux of my question is, "within one cable jacket do all of the wires need to be grounded or just one?" Logic tells me just one but I do not want to fry my whole network during a lightning storm.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Pretty sure only the category cable shield would be grounded. And, since you have none - no additional ground.

I'd research the coax grounding more, before adding another in the garage. Garage ground is run to the house service entrance anyway, unless there is another meter.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 13 Old 09-04-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
I presume that the inner insulated wire however is not grounded.

I would hope not...you'd never get a signal if it was.
Quote:
"within one cable jacket do all of the wires need to be grounded or just one?"

None of the signal carrying conductors in a cat cable should be grounded...if they were, you'd get no signal.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

The more i read about this, I think that I should not use the cat cable that is outside due to the issue of bringing a wire into the house that cannot be grounded. Everything including telephone wire is grounded before it comes into the house. I think I need to run fiber or put in some breaker/surge protector. does anyone have any real work experience with this?
post #9 of 13 Old 09-04-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting topic. I'm eager to read what others have to say.

Replacing that category cable with a shielded variant would be simple, given the conduit, but it adds to the difficulties, using shielded connectors.

I don't know how helpful it would be.

post #10 of 13 Old 09-04-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 353
What exactly are you concerned about? A non-common ground causing signal issues? Lightning strikes on buried cables?

There are surge protectors designed for Ethernet connections, if that's the concern.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #11 of 13 Old 09-05-2012, 06:29 PM

Liked: 11
post #12 of 13 Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Yeah, like that one! biggrin.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #13 of 13 Old 09-06-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
does anyone have any real work experience with this?

Yes, many here do. i don't think you understand the concept of 'grounding' though.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Cables Interconnects

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page