Network rackmount - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have attached 3 pics to show you what I'm intending to do. I have roughly around 50 cat6's, 15 cat5e, 15 RG6 running from all over the house to the basement and I'm planning to house all the cat6 in the wall rackmount. I also have a 96 port patch panel.

IMG_0317.JPG 70k .JPG file IMG_0319.JPG 47k .JPG file

I'm planning to mount the cabinet in the drywall.Am I in the right path? Anything else I'm missing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0317.JPG (69.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0319.JPG (46.7 KB, 63 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-07-2012, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 81
Only 2 pics.

That's a deep rack, for just a couple patch panels.

Will you attach the patch panels to the front or rear rails? May not be room at the front - door may not close.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 6 Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

IMG_0320.JPG 38k .JPG file

Adding my pic of Synology NAS. I'll fix the patch panel in the back if the door doesn't close.

- I bought it deep in case I need to add more in the future.
- Other than cat6 patch panel, cat6 switch, router, NAS, what else can I add here?
- I'm also planning to add the RG6 cables and cat5e(for phone) connections into this rack. Is that a good idea?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0320.JPG (38.0 KB, 37 views)
post #4 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would like to make sure I have the right understanding
. Cable from modem goes to the router.
Cable from router goes to switch.
Cable from switch goes to the patch panel. Any other devices like the NAS will goto the switch
All the cat6 from the house gets either punched into the patch panel or gets plugged in through RJ45 Is this correct?
post #5 of 6 Old 09-10-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #6 of 6 Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackforceus 
Cable from switch goes to the patch panel. Any other devices like the NAS will goto the switch
All the cat6 from the house gets either punched into the patch panel or gets plugged in through RJ45 Is this correct?

The patch panel is noting more than a convenient place to terminate all the cat6 you have coming from the rest of the house. The patch panel will not do any switching. For any of those runs to be live they need to patched with another cable from the patch panel to a switch. If you're using the small Netgear unit in the third picture then you're only going to be able to connect a couple devices, otherwise you're going to need a couple large stackable switches.

So everything you said is correct except that MANY cables go from the switch to the patch panel, one for every drop that you want to activate.

As far as installation goes, I wouldn't hang a patch panel inside a rack like that because you end up with your rack tethered to the structure and it's hard to get to the back of the equipment. Probably better to hang the patch panel on the wall where it can live permanently and then run your patch cords from there to the back of the rack. That way if you need to do any heavy maintenance you can just unplug the patch cables, move the rack, and plug it all back in when you're done.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page