Security Camera - Distributing VGA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-07-2012, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First post, hope I got it in the right category smile.gif

I have a question or three about distributing VGA. Last Thursday I got a disturbing phone call from my mom who lives 400 miles away from me. She asked if I had an extra gun that she could burrow and if I would teach her how to use it. That's not really what you want to hear your mom ask. Someone had been standing on the sidewalk in front of her house videoing her and her house at night. When confronted by a neighbor the guy ran. The police said technically speaking that it was not against the law but it was strange behavior for sure and that they would keep an eye out.

The long story short, I left for her house 10 minutes later. My brother met me there and she bought the Samsung 5001n 16 Camera DVR from Costco. We chose that one because they are POE and that was just less wire that I had to pull.

http://www.samsungsv.com/Model/Detail/11/Samsung-SDE-5001N-16-Channel-DVR-Security-System

On with my questions...

For the sake of doing it right, we put in a Leviton panel for her. The Samsung DVR is going in the closet and I need to distribute the video from there. I am moving her existing low voltage to the panel. I used to do low voltage data for a living, it's been awhile but I do miss it sometimes.

Besides viewing the cameras over the network, i'd like it to be available in 2 other places. A monitor in the closet and her television. At this moment it's just video, no audio, but I would like to have the option of audio if we decided to at some point.

The DVR has RCA out and VGA. The television will be about 60ft - 75ft away. I'm not sure of the exact distance because it goes into the crawl and then back up.

I've been looking at the Leviton MOS gear, in particular, this http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=47179&minisite=10251

It got me thinking though. Would I be better to convert VGA and the RCA (for audio only of course) to HDMI in the panel and then send it out as HDMI? If I need (Want...) to send it to 2 monitors, what would be the best way? As VGA, then convert and send, or just stick with VGA and not worry about the audio? Will I get the same distance with HDMI converted from VGA as I would with any other navtive HDMI device? I dont want to shoot myself in the foot and loose the option of audio but on the other hand, I want to do what is most reliable for my mom and keep her safe.

Edit: It's gonna be sent over Cat5, that's important and I forgot to mention it. So it would be VGA over Cat5 then back to VGA at the wallplate. For the TV, the monitor in the closet can just be the standard VGA cable. Or if HDMI is better, it will be HDMI over Cat5.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long winded post! Open to anyones suggestions!

Thought I better add this, the Romex for power is long and ugly on purpose until we find an electrician. It's going to have it's own circuit and is pulled all the way to the breaker in the basement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-12-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Any thoughts from anyone?
post #3 of 10 Old 09-15-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone? Someone? THere must be some life out there smile.gif
post #4 of 10 Old 09-15-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Does the TV have a PC/VGA input? Otherwise you might as well convert to HDMI at the DVR end and use any number of common HDMI-over-cat5 systems. If you're pulling new wire, pull at least two cat6 cables to the TV, then you can use a less expensive repeater.

As for quality, once it's HDMI, it'll be the same no matter what you do to it (digital...).

No experience with this, but here's an inexpensive converter:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011404&p_id=4629&seq=1&format=2

However, if the DVR has composite output, you might try just sending that over a balun to the TV and see if you get acceptable results - that would be super cheap and easy at least as a first step...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 10 Old 09-15-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

I knew there had to be someone out there. lol.

You know, the hdmi being digital. duh. I didn't even think about that! The television has VGA. It's a Sony Bravia and only has 1 HDMI port in use and several open. I think I'm liking the HDMI route.

The DVR only has VGA out or the single yellow RCA (for video of course) with audio.

Question about the cat6, I have pulled new wire, cat5 but really have lost sleep at night thinking I should of pulled Cat6. It's not to late, the walls are still open. I'll admit I have not googled it, but for the sake of this thread, is it really best practice to use Cat6 for HDMI isntead of Cat5?

I just back to her house about 2 am. Dragging butt today and was just on my way to Home Depot to buy another punchdown tool (Mine when missing.. teenagers...).

Thanks!
post #6 of 10 Old 09-15-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Assuming you mean Cat5e (E!), for your short run, won't be an issue. Most of the HDMI-over-category products are designed to work with cat5e anyway...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #7 of 10 Old 09-15-2012, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah Cat5 e smile.gif I came back to her house this time a little more prepared. lol, I bought my 500' roll of all in one with me but I dont think ole mom needs fiber in her house. It will look better in her garage

Throwing a curveball..... An IR Blaster. Going to move her cable box to the panel with the DVR. The DVR has it's own remote to. Do you guys have a preference with IR Blasters? Name brand or something application specific? Trying to order everything now and dont want to forget anything. I dont know much of anything about IR Blasters.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-15-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

I should of looked about the IR Blaster. I see tons of options. So never mind that unless there is something super that isn't already talked about. I can see i'm probably gonna pull 2 more strands of cat5 though
post #9 of 10 Old 10-12-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

So I have managed to get everything working together quite nicely. I went from VGA on the DVR to a Siig converter that ads audio and then turns it into HDMI. Then from there it went into another Siig device that sends it over Cat6 to the TV. I pulled cat5e of course to each camera. 7 as of this moment. Then Cat 6 from the Leviton Panel to the TV for the HDMI.

I'll post some pictures and video in a few days so it makes more sense. Hopefully if someone comes along that wants to accomplish the same thing I did, the pictures and video will help.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-12-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Kudos to installing a surveillance system!

Make sure there is no siding, soffit, flashing, or anything close to the camera's field of view. The IR LEDs will reflect off any close surface, which will cause the iris to close rendering an unwatchable picture.

A few months ago, we got some new next door neighbors. Odd stuff started happening. I won't go into details, but I put up a few weatherproof/vandal proof dome cameras (can withstand blows from a 10 pound sledge hammer and spray from a power washer) and a DVR. The day before yesterday, they arrested 5 or 6 wanted felons, confiscated drugs and a lot of cash, and recovered many stolen items.

Yesterday, my wife came back inside from being out back, and said "This is the first time I feel safe outside in several months. Originally, she was opposed to the cameras. A few weeks ago, she said she was glad I put them in.

The peace of mind is so worth the investment.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page