HDMI Splitter, Switch or Other - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-09-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello - I am hoping someone will be able to suggest a solution for my dilemma. I am trying to determine how I can watch my blu-ray player content at times, without having it go through the AVR.

Here is my system:
Yamaha RX-V867 AVR
Toshiba 55UX600U 55" TV
Panasonic DMP-BD85 BD Player
Panasonic SCHTB500 Soundbar

These are connected as follows:
Soundbar HDMI ARC to TV HDMI ARC
Blu-ray HDMI to AVR HDMI
AVR HDMI to TV HDMI

What is missing is a connection from the Blu-ray to the TV so that I can watch content without powering up the AVR. The Blu-ray has a wireless connection so I watch Netflix, You Tube and other content via this player. For sound I would just like to power up the soundbar and not the AVR. I just want to use the AVR for movies with surround sound. If the Blu-Ray player had a second HDMI output it seems like it would be the solution but it only has one. Therefore, I am asking the question: what kind of device should I look into in order to have 2 HDMI ports on the Blu-Ray ? Also, if this device is installed and I decide to watch a movie with surround sound through the AVR, will I have a degraded video or audio signal because the movie signal is now going through the device and then into the AVR? I look forward to your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-10-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Since the BD player has Component video output, you could connect that directly to your TV without affecting the HDMI audio settings (which will happen when you bypass the AVR). But I'm not sure that running a digital audio cable from the BD player to your soundbar will work (I think the input will automatically choose HDMI). Worth a try, though...

I suspect you'll have to choose to either always use your AVR, or tie the soundbar to the AVR directly, and use the TV speakers instead (for simple viewing).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page