Switching between local vs whole home audio with in wall unit? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-12-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this gets confusion, I don't really know my terms that well.

In my bathroom I have speakers that have audio cable run to a box next to the light switch. From this box are 2 cat 6 cables and more speaker wire that runs to a central location in my basement. Eventually I would like to have a whole house audio set up (currently have nothing) but I would also like to be able to switch from the whole home audio to just using an iphone/mp3 player in the bathroom (switching between the two).

Does anything like this exist? Where I can have an in-wall audio input that would play what's connected just to that room or I could switch it over to play what's playing throughout the house?

Please let me know if you have any questions or if this isn't already posted somewhere else? (I tried searching without much success).

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-12-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Yes, NuVo, for example, has a "Local Source Amplifier" which is meant for exactly what you're trying to do.

But, depending on your choice of WHA systems, you'll probably find that you'll just use an MP3/digital music / Internet stream source instead of a local MP3 player anyway. And if you really want to use a local iPod/iPhone - using Airplay to an Airport Express connected back at the WHA system would be simple, too.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 09-12-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Most distributed audio systems have the ability to use a local source input and/or an iPod dock.

Until you pick a DA system, I'd suggest an iPod dock with speakers.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 5 Old 09-14-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies. Local source amplifier is exactly what I was looking for (and I agree, picking a DA system first would make this 100% easier).
post #5 of 5 Old 09-14-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I don't think the Nuvo LSA is exactly what you're looking for. It uses an input trigger from the Nuvo keypad to switch sources. And, it amplifies your local audio output.

If you install something now, to play through the speakers, the audio output will have been amplified by your device.

You will want a switch that changes from the local amplified source to the distributed, amplified source. You (probably) won't want an amp.

This is, of course, assuming you're sticking with your original plan of local music now, distributed audio later.

Choosing a DA system that has an integrated iDock would make life easier; just chuck your temporary solution when you install the DA system, or as jautor stated, you won't need an iDevice source, if you install a networked DA system that pulls music files from your PCs.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page