Russound DMS-3.1 Digital Media Streamer question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 09-12-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
from the information i've found it is a little unclear how this product really works. obviously I can stream content from a pc with itunes, ipad or iPhone but lets take apple and a pc out of the equation for a second. how would I set this up to do pandora or slacker radio without a computer?

on most receivers you can simply go online set up an account and stations then you input your logon and password to the system and you select your channels on the receiver or display. this this how it works?

from looking at some reviews it suggests that this is not dependent on a internal network source or an apple product but it is not really clear. I'm sure I'm missing something because I'm sure Russound would not release something that is dependent on streaming content from a iphone or steaming internet radio content over a cell connection when a broadband connection is available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-12-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 356
They changed the direction on this (IIRC, it was a more traditional approach when it was first announced or rumored). I didn't talk to them at CEDIA, but they've taken an "interesting" approach to the server/streamer market. I assume they had a lot of issues getting all the online streaming services functional, or realized it was going to be a never-ending negotiation for content, so they punted. Or the software work to get a user interface that would work with all those services (with the blessing of the services) may have been a no-win... Instead, they make one license for AirPlay, and then anything you can get to the box, it will play.

So it appears that it will play digital files (like any server) from a network share, and accept streams from an iDevice via Airplay. So you connect your iPhone to Pandora, and Airplay it to the DMS... With the iDevice on Wifi, it'll work just fine.

I'm not really of fan of this approach, but I can certainly understand it. Now, if they had some of the basics/popular services (say, TuneIn, Pandora), and used Airplay as a catch-all, I'd be fine with that. But I'd expect the server company to do the work for me - get the stuff INTEGRATED so we don't have to do it.

Assuming this is correct, the only unique thing the server really provides is Airplay with metadata support on the keypads for the library and received stuff (assuming there's enough data coming with an Airplay session to show anything useful). Otherwise, a set of Airport Express units seems like a really cheap alternative.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 31 Old 09-12-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

this is what I was afraid of.

assuming streaming Pandora or whatever, and a i phone dock and perhaps a media sever option what would you recommend for distributed auto with a decent wall control? seems like the the DMS-3.1 is not worth the money. alternatives? thanks
post #4 of 31 Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

NuVo (my bias is showing again...). Essentia or Grand Concerto, with the MPS4 server. Not cheap, but does everything you want.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 31 Old 09-13-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

yes, I'm leaning towards Nuvo as well. however I've dealt with Nuvo before on a job and had several problems. The touch panels, I think they were NV-I8GCP, did not function correctly and had to be replaced. then the old version of the music server went bad, and the face plate display burned out on both the am/fm/xm and had to be sent back for repair. this was several years ago so hopefully they have the bugs worked out. the "dealer" could not fix it and their solution was to recommend buying a new music port for 2 grand which was unacceptable to the home owner. NUVO support were very nice about the whole thing were very fair about the repairs however I'm concerned about doing one of their systems if reliability has not improved. do you have any experience with reliability in the last couple years?

should I be looking at any other companies? I'm somewhat surprised that nothing has come out that can do everything in a all in one package lower reasonable price point...and somewhat more DIY friendly interns of support and warranty.
post #6 of 31 Old 09-13-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

I called nuvo tech support and they said you simply log on the the media streamer and input they account information for pandora and that is all that needs to be done. obviously you need to set up the account and stations on the computer but it sounds intuitive.

has anyone set one of these up? I would really like some first hand information or personal experience about how this works. just a little paranoid about getting one and discovering it does not do all that I expect it to considering the vague description and the lack of endorsement logos, as silly as that might sound.
post #7 of 31 Old 09-13-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I have my own system, and have had no problems with the hardware, installed now for 3+ years. I have the original MusicPort software-only solution, which suffers from software/OS compatibility issues (and has been long discontinued). The MPS4, being self-contained and controlled, is much more reliable. But yes, you just log into the server's web page and set up the account information for Pandora, XM/Sirius, last.fm, etc. Very straightforward. I use Pandora frequently, with full metadata on the keypads, and support for bookmarking/skipping, etc. as well.

I don't expect them to be adding more services to the MPS4's lineup, though, they're spending all their R&D efforts on the wireless system right now.

Jeff

post #8 of 31 Old 09-19-2012, 10:54 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

They changed the direction on this (IIRC, it was a more traditional approach when it was first announced or rumored). I didn't talk to them at CEDIA, but they've taken an "interesting" approach to the server/streamer market. I assume they had a lot of issues getting all the online streaming services functional, or realized it was going to be a never-ending negotiation for content, so they punted. Or the software work to get a user interface that would work with all those services (with the blessing of the services) may have been a no-win... Instead, they make one license for AirPlay, and then anything you can get to the box, it will play.
So it appears that it will play digital files (like any server) from a network share, and accept streams from an iDevice via Airplay. So you connect your iPhone to Pandora, and Airplay it to the DMS... With the iDevice on Wifi, it'll work just fine.
I'm not really of fan of this approach, but I can certainly understand it. Now, if they had some of the basics/popular services (say, TuneIn, Pandora), and used Airplay as a catch-all, I'd be fine with that. But I'd expect the server company to do the work for me - get the stuff INTEGRATED so we don't have to do it.
Assuming this is correct, the only unique thing the server really provides is Airplay with metadata support on the keypads for the library and received stuff (assuming there's enough data coming with an Airplay session to show anything useful). Otherwise, a set of Airport Express units seems like a really cheap alternative.
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Out of the box, the DMS3.1 supports streaming from Vtuner (Internet radio), and SiriusXM. You are correct that it will also play content from a DLNA hard drive, it also has USB inputs for each stream for direct connection of a hard/flash drive. While AirPlay is a great way to integrate newer and/or more niche streaming services, we are definitely not standing pat with regard to the native services we offer, and you can expect to see more supported in the future.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me at 603-292-0494, anytime between 8:30-5pm EST

Best regards,

Steve LeBlanc
Sales Operations Manager
Russound FMP

Steve LeBlanc
Director of Customer Support
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
post #9 of 31 Old 09-19-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve LeBlanc View Post

Out of the box, the DMS3.1 supports streaming from Vtuner (Internet radio), and SiriusXM. You are correct that it will also play content from a DLNA hard drive, it also has USB inputs for each stream for direct connection of a hard/flash drive. While AirPlay is a great way to integrate newer and/or more niche streaming services, we are definitely not standing pat with regard to the native services we offer, and you can expect to see more supported in the future.

Steve, thanks for the clarification. I'd suggest that y'all clarify the product brief / web page to explicitly call out "vTuner" support - the current description says things like "Internet radio" in places but also uses the terms "SirusXM Internet Radio" which is why I couldn't tell for sure if that functionality was really in there. (maybe there's a missing "/" between those two items). Calling out vTuner and/or displaying their logo (yeah, I know) would make this real obvious.

Thanks for joining the forum!

Jeff

post #10 of 31 Old 09-19-2012, 12:11 PM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback, forwarding it over to the Marketing department.

Steve

Steve LeBlanc
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
post #11 of 31 Old 09-19-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Steve can I get clarification on whether or not the DMS-3.1 can do Pandora? some documentation mentions it and some does not.

if it does, can you explain how it works? if not is this something that will be added later? when?

I'm thinking about installing one and I need to understand specifically what it can and can not do otherwise I will need to recommend going with a different product.
post #12 of 31 Old 09-24-2012, 10:17 AM

It can currently only do Pandora via AirPlay. Pandora is definitely one of the services we are pursuing, however I wouldn't feel comfortable giving a time frame, or even if it will actually happen (there are licensing issues, etc). Sorry I can't give you anything more concrete than that.

Steve

Steve LeBlanc
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
post #13 of 31 Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 AM

I am new here and found the forum by Googling. I installed a CA6.4i 10 years ago with lcd keypads. I'd like to stream from my iPhone or iMac my music files and was wondering how the DMS-3.1 would do this. Is it compatible with the CA6.4i for starters? I am also wondering if the My Russound App would allow control of this from my iPhone. Just trying to update my system a bit without spending another arm and a leg! Also in need of 2 replacement keypads.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. What I'd truly like is to use what I already have and expand it to use the music on my iPhone and control it from there as well. I'll buy from anyone who can walk my through it like a first grader!

Many thanks,

Alan
Charlotte, NC
post #14 of 31 Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan11240 View Post

I am new here and found the forum by Googling. I installed a CA6.4i 10 years ago with lcd keypads. I'd like to stream from my iPhone or iMac my music files and was wondering how the DMS-3.1 would do this. Is it compatible with the CA6.4i for starters? I am also wondering if the My Russound App would allow control of this from my iPhone. Just trying to update my system a bit without spending another arm and a leg! Also in need of 2 replacement keypads.
Any help or advice would be appreciated. What I'd truly like is to use what I already have and expand it to use the music on my iPhone and control it from there as well. I'll buy from anyone who can walk my through it like a first grader!
Many thanks,
Alan
Charlotte, NC

Hi Alan,

With the next release of the firmware for the DMS, you would be able to use it with a CA6.4, although you wouldn't get any keypad feedback or any of the advanced features like that. In addition you would need the My Russound app to control the DMS, but it would not control the system itself (it predates any of our products having that sort of connectivity). In regard to keypads, please get the serial number and give me a call, I may be able to help you out.

Best regards,

Steve

Steve LeBlanc
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
post #15 of 31 Old 02-28-2013, 09:54 AM

Liked: 11
Steve any hint as to when new capabilities might be coming out?? Is there a future with the DMS?? I have the XM working, AirPlay and the Internet Streaming; however, if I am listening to XM in a zone and turn it off and then turn the zone back on the DMS doesn't stay on XM and on the channel that I had streming for that feed so each time I have to go in and change that stream back to XM and then the channel I want. Given that we normally just listen to one channel it would be nice if I could name a stream XM channel { } and have that as a selectable source that always plays XM on the channel I have set...
post #16 of 31 Old 02-28-2013, 10:51 AM

The DMS has a huge future, I have heard some of the longer term plans and there is a lot of good stuff happening there. Predicting software release dates can be tricky, but the target would be in the next few months for the next major release. You should be able to accomplish what you are trying to do by setting up a favorite.

I would also like to clarify to Alan that the next release of the firmware will not allow the DMS to be controlled by the app, but only through third party IP (RIO) protocols. There is a plan for it to work with standalone with our app, but I made an incorrect assumption that it would come at the same time as 3rd party integration. Sorry about that!

Steve

Steve LeBlanc
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
post #17 of 31 Old 03-02-2013, 07:51 AM

Hi, couple of questions on the DMS 3.1

1) I have Airplay set up and working; however, I do not see Artist/Song info on the keypad. Am I doing something wrong?

2) I am having issues getting vtuner set-up. The manual says to go to the internet radio menu and "get access code". I can't seem to find this on the keypad menus. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brad
post #18 of 31 Old 03-04-2013, 10:18 AM

Hi Brad,

1- That feature is coming in the next software release. (within a couple of months)

2.Go into the DMS main menu, select internet radio, then scroll to the bottom, it should be there "get access code"

Steve LeBlanc
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
post #19 of 31 Old 05-19-2013, 06:05 PM

Has anyone had any issues with streaming Sirius radio? I have 2 Russound systems with the dms 3.1. All firmware is up to date on both systems. Am able to stream online radio on both systems but can't connect to Sirius on either system!?!? Any suggestions?
post #20 of 31 Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 AM

Streaming of Sirius/XM has generally been working perfectly for several firmware revisions. Can you confirm that you can stream on the account in a web browser? I assume you are in North America as well, any other information you can provide about your Internet connection etc would be appreciated.

Steve LeBlanc
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
post #21 of 31 Old 05-20-2013, 05:45 PM

I have 2 customers both with Sirius radio accounts. I can log into both accounts via the web browser as well as Sirius apps. I've talked with Russound tech support and they are able to login as well as another tech in Toronto area was abled to log in. One customer is on Rogers 3G rocket hub with asus router and the other customer has bell dsl with a microtik router. I'm really scratching my head on this one
post #22 of 31 Old 05-20-2013, 05:52 PM

The customer with the 3G connection is having the problems correct? I will have Jon reach out to you tomorrow, to do some bandwidth tests on that connection.

Steve LeBlanc
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
post #23 of 31 Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 PM

Both have the same issue. Can't connect to the Sirius tuner
post #24 of 31 Old 05-21-2013, 04:07 PM

is there a way to change the IP address or the DHCP range on the dms 3.1
post #25 of 31 Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 AM

Just installed a DMS-3.1 yesterday. Had to do a factory initialization and firmware upgrade, but got everything working. I've got a couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to control the DMS-3.1 via IP, specifically through iRule? As it is I can only do stream changes via the Russound ap on my iPad. My MCA-C5 is controllable via iRule with RS-232. So, currently I use iRule to switch a zone to a stream and then need the Russound ap to make any changes to a stream (i.e. change a Sirius station)

2. Is there a way to keep the Sirius XM stream from timing out? We like to leave the radio on all night and it seems that after some time last night it stopped. I recall having this issue when streaming to a PC where the browser would pop up something like "Are you still listening" after a while. Does the DMS-3.1 periodically let Sirius know to reset the timeout?
post #26 of 31 Old 07-09-2013, 06:38 AM

1. In the next firmware release we will allow control over IP (RIO)
2. There are a few changes to how streams automatically start when the source is selected in the next firmware release as well.I am not sure that will help with the Sirius timeout issue. I would try it with the new firmware to be sure though.

Steve LeBlanc
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
post #27 of 31 Old 08-01-2013, 06:55 AM

Liked: 11
Steve, i might be calling you shortly to discuss some options. I'm looking to do a whole house solution w/at lease 8 zones. I'm intersted in the DMS 3.1, but it seems everything I want will be "in the next release". Is there a good feel for when these Pandora type features being integrated into the DMS will happen?

I'm also looking into A-bus solutions.

-Adam
Rons8166 likes this.
post #28 of 31 Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 AM

No problem, I look forward to hearing from you.
Rons8166 likes this.

Steve LeBlanc
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
post #29 of 31 Old 08-12-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve LeBlanc View Post

1. In the next firmware release we will allow control over IP (RIO)
2. There are a few changes to how streams automatically start when the source is selected in the next firmware release as well.I am not sure that will help with the Sirius timeout issue. I would try it with the new firmware to be sure though.

Hi Steve, I have 3 mcac5 controllers along with 18 mdk-c5 keypads, st2-xm tuner, dms 3.1, Sirius st2 smart tuner. I downloaded version 7 Friday and updated my system. Controllers #1 & #3 updated fine but controller #2 said this,

Error Could not display available firmware version.
Reason Failed to read file "/updates/updates.xml" from server"updates.russound"
Solution Check network connections or file name format.

Versions
Firmware 06.01.00
Bootloader 01.00.08

I had another Mca-c5 with version 06.00 in stock ready for a job so I used that to replace my bad controller for now and programmed Version 7 to it. It worked fine.

The other two mca-c5 controllers programmed within 7-10 minutes without any issues so I know it's not my network or cables causing the issue.

Also, 3 of the mdk-c5 failed to update. Two of them have the power button flashing and the other keypad is all lit up but can not recycle power are doing anything with it.

Finally, after about 8 hours or so doing all firmware updates, dms 3.1 updates, swapping out bad Mca-c5 with new one and everything else I powered up the system. After a few hiccups to say the least,
I had everything up and running; Pandora, Siriusxm, tunein, vtuner, media server etc. The problem is with the new firmware update on the DMS 3.1 and with SiriusXm radio playing is when you have 3 SiriusXm streams on they go to the "STOPPED MODE". The streams will only play for around 15-20 minutes before going to stopped mode. I know the problem is not my DMS 3.1 because it was working fine before I did the update. I also installed another DMS 3.1 to troubleshoot the problem and the DMS 3.1 with the older version worked perfect, never once went to "stopped" mode with all 3 streams playing. I reinstalled the DMS 3.1 with the new version 5.00 and after 5-10 minutes it went to the infamous "stopped" mode. Let me know your thoughts on these issues.

In closing the Release 7 updates is great... Thanks Ron.
post #30 of 31 Old 08-12-2013, 02:00 PM

Hi Ron,

There is a lot here, hopefully I don't miss anything.

Try to do the update on the C5 via serial. On a side note, you only really need to update controller 1 in multi-controller systems (although we generally advise people to do all of them as an added precaution)

The keypads are going to need to have their bootloaders updated/reinstalled. Send me an email and I will get you what you need. In your email, please mention if you have the keypad upgrade cable required to directly interface with the keypad.

Are you using 3 separate SiriusXM accounts? Technically speaking, you are only supposed to be able to stream one stream per account. This hasn't been very strictly enforced in the past, not sure if something changed on their end. We are trying to reproduce what you are describing, I will post an update when I hear something.

Steve LeBlanc
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page