Help running Cat5 from media room to bedrooms. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 4x4 matrix in my media room that I need to run cat5 to 3 bedrooms down the hall from. What is the best way of doing this?
I have not attic access & would like it to be as clean as possible.
Looking down the hall from the media room a have a laundry room on the right, bedroom 1 on the left, further down I have bedroom 2 on the right and the 3rd bedroom at the end of the hallway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Down hallways is a challenge because there's obviously a lot of doors... Think about adding some crown molding that you can use to create a channel to run the wires - poking through the walls at the start/end of the run, but not having to open up the walls/ceiling along the way...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's tough. Chances are you can't bore all the way down the wall. There will most likely be wire in the wall somewhere by the doors. So I agree that crown moulding is the best bet. I have seen it ran under the carpet in the underlay.

Last and difficult option is pulling it in the duct work. If you get rated cable it's ok, but it's hard to get from the duct to the wall cleanly. And depending on duct work it may be impossible to pull/fish
post #4 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
You say you don't have attic access. Does that may there is an attic and you can't get to it?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 7 Old 09-20-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

You say you don't have attic access. Does that may there is an attic and you can't get to it?

I have attic access through my master bedroom. However, it is limited as the roof above the bedroom is pitched higher then the other rooms. I might be able to get to the other side from the attic but it would involve crawling on my stomach & swimming through insulation.

I was thinking of drilling mouse holes on the top of the walls and running the cables along the ceiling in a cable raceway.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Going outside may be an option. I would try going through the attic though. If you get someone to help, you can use a combination of snake wires and poles to fish the cables through with a cut in the ceiling in each room. Then just patch and you're done.

You can also get crown moulding with a raceway already incorporated. Its reasonably cheap and would be easy to install.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-20-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I have the same issue with 2 rooms - tray ceilings. Getting across 1 was very difficult until I built a bridge over it. I had to crawl under rafters to the sides, or climb over the tray ceiling. The wood bridge didn't take long to construct, honestly, and I've been back and forth dozens of times. Not sure how feasible it would be for you to add some wood steps over your raised ceiling.

You either crawl through insulation with the drill - several trips I'm certain - or drill up through each top plate, from the drywall cuts below, with a single trip for the cable drops.

I'm not a big fan of raceways, or crown molding that doesn't belong. But honestly, most guests won't notice.

Since attic access exists, and it would be pretty straightforward (just uncomfortable and messy), you could probably hire someone to run the cables for pretty cheap, and do the rest of the install yourself.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Cat5 Rack 1u

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page