Trying to correct bad wiring job for 2nd zone audio! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-20-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Helping a friend fix his messed up audio distribution. Previous owner had run a combination of cheap speaker wire spiced to lamp cord from speaker B on receiver to speaker selector to 2 volume controls in other areas. If that wasn't bad enough, in the basement they spliced the 2 feeds to 1 feed before it disappeared into the addition (no access). Needless to say, the sound was less than stellar, and barely audible!

To correct this, I advised him to purchase a surround receiver with 2nd zone audio output. I ran an rca cable from 2nd zone output to Sonamp 260. From the Sonamp I ran speaker wire to existing Phoenix gold speaker selector box. Finally yesterday, I bypassed the wire from the speaker selector to the volume controls. I replaced it with in-wall 16 ga. 4C wire. The sound was marginally better.

I am at a loss as to what the problem is, I was confident the spliced inferior wire was the main problem. Thinking maybe the volume controls are an issue...found no brand on them, wondering if they might be impedance matching, and so is the speaker selector (the selector has protection switch), maybe they are 30 watt volume controls?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-20-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
"Cheap speaker wire" is only a problem if it's a very small gauge for a long run. Splicing is not an issue, either, electrically. May be cosmetically ugly, but as long as the connection is made, that's not the problem.

The most likely issue is the speakers themselves, possibly inefficient for that 60W amp to give you the volume level you're looking for. Best way to test this out is to connect the amp to the speakers (disconnect at the volume control and tie in there) in the zone, and see what you get...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 4 Old 09-20-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I failed to explain what the main problem was....very limited volume, volume control turned all the way up, still very low volume. The gains on the amplifier at about 90%! The speakers are basic Bose outdoor type speakers, so they should be fairly efficient, and easy for the Sonamp to drive.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-20-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
I assumed that was the problem, and my recommendation is the same. Try the amp connected after the volume control and see what that sounds like. Speakers are still the likely issue...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page