Multi Zone w Airplay conundrum - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We are a Apple-centric household with many ipads, ipods and iphones. My young children and wife love these and like to listen to music with them. When I built my house I had two runs of cat 5e to every room and speaker wire run to three specific locations (kitchen, en-suite and kids bath). the original plan was to use single two-channel speakers in these specific locations so i do have the ceilings already prepped for this but have not purchased the speakers yet. I would like to have a multi-zone setup where my kids could simply use airplay to stream music to the zone they are in with little to no alternate hands-on needed other than using there apple device. I would like to set this up but the research I have done has my head spinning. What might be a reasonable solution to this problem? I have seen solutions that suggest individual inexpensive amps + airport express' for each zone (kind of cheap) , speakercraft/russound distribution + airport express (mid range cost) or multizone receivers/amps that are airplay compatible (expensive). any good insight would be greatly appreciated. I like to DIY and am fairly techie but just not in this area, so even a point in the right direction would be great and I should be able to hack my way through from there.

Thanks in advance

Pils
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cheapest and easiest with not other interaction but sending music is an airport express for everyroom.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Yep, Airport Express + cheap amp with "auto sense" (auto on/off) per zone is the simplest/cheapest. Another possibility is a Sonos unit per zone, which would allow easy control from an iDevice without requiring the device to be "in use". But that will depend on your desired usage - Sonos would require a digital library source somewhere on the network to play MP3s. If you have that already, this would be a decent choice.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 PM

I've looked into this as well. AE plus amp is the cheapest way to go (i'm looking at the emotiva A100). That will make a brain dead simple set up to use, the only catch is in versatility. You cannot tell your idevice to go from playing in a single room to playing in all rooms, etc. You can do this with a computer however, using iTunes. Even control individual volumes in each room using iTunes. The other plus is any guest with an idevice can hop on your network and start streaming their music (or you can require a password to do this). Pretty cool.

I'm currently debating between this and a Sonos system, myself.

--
Adam Nyholt
www.nyholt.com
Old 09-25-2012, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have been debating this as well. After researching everything, i really like the idea of the Sonos connect amps. The problem is the price as only one connect amp can control one zone. I have also entertained the low end version of HTD package and a Sonos connect for one source. My objective is to be able to control everything from an idevice. The pro about the HTD package is 6 sources compared to 2 with the Sonos. the pro about the Sonos is ease of installation. Its all about the price you are willing to pay. I need to make a decision as i am leaning more toward the Sonos because of installation but nothing definitive yet.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pils View Post

We are a Apple-centric household with many ipads, ipods and iphones. My young children and wife love these and like to listen to music with them. When I built my house I had two runs of cat 5e to every room and speaker wire run to three specific locations (kitchen, en-suite and kids bath). the original plan was to use single two-channel speakers in these specific locations so i do have the ceilings already prepped for this but have not purchased the speakers yet. I would like to have a multi-zone setup where my kids could simply use airplay to stream music to the zone they are in with little to no alternate hands-on needed other than using there apple device. I would like to set this up but the research I have done has my head spinning. What might be a reasonable solution to this problem? I have seen solutions that suggest individual inexpensive amps + airport express' for each zone (kind of cheap) , speakercraft/russound distribution + airport express (mid range cost) or multizone receivers/amps that are airplay compatible (expensive). any good insight would be greatly appreciated. I like to DIY and am fairly techie but just not in this area, so even a point in the right direction would be great and I should be able to hack my way through from there.
Thanks in advance
Pils

Russound C-Series and a DMS 3.1 could cost but you will have an awesome setup!