Xantech Digi-5 Alternative - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-25-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know of an alternative to the Xantech Digi-5 distributed audio system?

I've got the Xantech D5RH installed now but bugs in their firmware make controlling some aspects of the system via RS-232 impossible. Additionally, the Xantech D5KP Keypads seem to have very poor quality control with button and backlight problems.

I'm looking for a system with the following features:

• Ethernet connectivity between controller and keypads
  • Amplification at the keypad
  • Two way communication via RS-232 or Ethernet
  • Local source capability (preferably digital input)
  • Digital audio input on hub
  • Paging and/or intercom system

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by iolaus View Post

Does anyone know of an alternative to the Xantech Digi-5 distributed audio system?

There are Digi-5 products from Aton as well - note that the Digi-5 stuff is now all owned by the Core Brands group (formerly the AVC group, still part of Nortek). They do appear different - I don't know how much stuff they shared under the covers (don't recall if this was developed before everyone got bought by Nortek).

http://www.atonhome.com/Digital_Audio_Router.html

The Aton doesn't seem to have any external control methods other than the keypad and IR (at the keypads), so this may not be a step in the right direction... But it does meet the rest of the things on your list, well, except:
Quote:
[*] Ethernet connectivity between controller and keypads

Note that these systems are Cat5e connected, and use RJ45 jacks for termination, but they are NOT Ethernet in any way...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 09-25-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

There are Digi-5 products from Aton as well - note that the Digi-5 stuff is now all owned by the Core Brands group (formerly the AVC group, still part of Nortek). They do appear different - I don't know how much stuff they shared under the covers (don't recall if this was developed before everyone got bought by Nortek).
http://www.atonhome.com/Digital_Audio_Router.html
The Aton doesn't seem to have any external control methods other than the keypad and IR (at the keypads), so this may not be a step in the right direction... But it does meet the rest of the things on your list, well, except:
Note that these systems are Cat5e connected, and use RJ45 jacks for termination, but they are NOT Ethernet in any way...
Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I have looked at the Aton stuff but had to rule it out because of the lack of a 2-way control mechanism. As to the ethernet connectivity issue I simply meant ethernet cable (ie. cat5, cat5e, cat6) and not the actual ethernet protocol.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by iolaus View Post

As to the ethernet connectivity issue I simply meant ethernet cable (ie. cat5, cat5e, cat6) and not the actual ethernet protocol.

That's what I thought, but we see way too many folks get confused by that terminology, so my comment was as much a note to anyone else reading as it was a double-check of your understanding... smile.gif When I talk, I usually call it "ethernet cable", too - but when writing on the forum, I always call it "category" or "Cat5e" to avoid potential confusion.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht