Nuvo AM/FM tuner broken display repair - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-27-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know the Nuvo NV-T2DF is no longer manufactured so if you want one you have to find a used one. However I'm seeing a pattern in most of the used units I find. Almost all of them have non-functioning displays.

Does anyone know what the problem is with them? I'm an engineer so I can fix most stuff unless its inside an IC that I can't purchase replacements of on the open market. I'm hoping its just a power supply issue or something simple.

Any info would be helpful. If anyone has a .pdf of the service manual that would be a big help.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-28-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You may want to consider getting a music server instead. Most radio stations stream online, in the US.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 14 Old 09-28-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Yes they do. However the streams I've listened to of the local stations I like seem to use a low bit rate and it sounds all warbly. And I don't want to spend ~$2.5k for the Nuvo music server.

I took a chance and bought one for $140. Hopefully I can get it to boot without the display working.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-14-2013, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Jeff, were ever able to repair the display on the tuner?
post #5 of 14 Old 11-14-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hi

No I never did. However it does work. I got to communicate with it over serial and turned it on, tuned to a station and such. All seemed fine after I bought it.

It's now in a rack with the rest of my Nuvo stuff. It does not seem to talk to my Nuvo GC through NuvoNet. I expected to be able to access the tuner through the OLED keypads, but nothing. Maybe I'm expecting too much...
post #6 of 14 Old 11-14-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 365
One thing to note about the NuVo FM tuners - there were "Concerto" models before there were "Grand Concerto" models (the difference is in the model number: T2FX vs. T2FXG) . The Concerto models have NuVoNet, but they are NOT compatible with the Grand Concerto (or the Essentia G) implementation of NuVoNet. I ran into that issue when I bought a demo tuner from a dealer as well. It worked, but wouldn't talk to the GC.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #7 of 14 Old 11-15-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

I bought a NV-T2DF tuner. Is that compatible with the GC?
post #8 of 14 Old 11-15-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffGoos View Post

I bought a NV-T2DF tuner. Is that compatible with the GC?

Since there is/was an NV-T2DFG (again, G), I would guess no.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #9 of 14 Old 11-15-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Damn. That would explain a few things.

Thanks for the info.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-28-2013, 05:59 AM

Thanks for the reply JeffGoos, and thanks for the information Jautor, which may render my answer my recent thread re tuners.

As for the blank screen, I see this problem often and I'd imagine it's a cold solder joint problem that NuVo would have addressed already due to the number of problems idendified. Resoldering the joints aren't a problem is you know which joints are the problem. So far no one has been able to find a diy solution and many Tuners are being wasted due to the "blank screen" issue. I'd imagine NuVo would repair the problem at a high cost, plus shipping charges which may not be worth the cost for a disscontinued model.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-28-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

There may be an option to turn the display on and off - done with programming. I'm pretty sure Denon offers this for their CI line of components, and would assume it's an option for most pro installed gear. I doubt it's a bad connection.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #12 of 14 Old 05-04-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Its true, there is a command to turn the display lighting on and off. However I tried that command using the serial interface when I first bought it. It did not turn the display on. At this point the tuner is unusable to me. Not because of the display lighting, that I can deal with. It's because I bought the wrong model to work with a GC.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-05-2014, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you run other serial commands successfully?

post #14 of 14 Old 05-05-2014, 05:34 AM

On occasion I see "refurbished" NuVo T2 tuners on ebay therefore I'll assume Legrand offers this service for a fee. I wonder what that fee is and since I don't own one I never bothered to ask. The refurbished models tend to sell for around $300.00 so I'd imagine it's much less than that in order to obtain a profit for the seller.

Since your version is not the "G" model that may not be of interest to you but I thought I would mention it.

There is presently a NUVO NV-T2DFG on ebay at $255.00 with no cords, remote or antenna which maybe of interest to some.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page