help trying to grasp multi zone a/v distribution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok, I'm a n00b when it comes to home a/v distribution, but have been reading the forums for a little while now to try and get an understanding. When me and the wife begin house hunting, I'd love to incorporate a whole home a/v distribution system. Being that we don't have the home yet, this thread will serve more to ask general questions to make sure I'm understanding how it all comes together so that as we house hunt I am keeping all the logistics of what I am going to want straight, and more importantly what equipment will be needed to make it all work.

First question: HDMI MATRIX

I'm having trouble grasping the HDMI Matrix. So lets say I am going to have a dedicated theater, a tv in a master bedroom, tv in a spare bed room, and maybe one more video source somewhere in the house. So if I'm thinking correctly I would need at least a 4x4 matrix to connect all the displays. The part I am having trouble with wrapping my head around is the audio/components that will be hooked to all the displays.

Using the above scenario lets say the home theater will have 7.1 audio. The master will use have 5.1, and the spare bed room/additional will be stereo. I'd assume that 2 AVRs would be needed. One for the HT and one for the MB. Assuming the AVR has 2/3 zone control that should take care of the stereo audio to the other 2 video sources.

Now the part that keeps driving me nuts is the connecting of the components such as Cable Boxes, Blu-Ray player and Audio device (ala a PC). I figure all would have to be connected to the matrix to distribute the video source. But how would the audio work? If there are 2 AVRs, then I's assume that each component would have to be connected to each AVR as well but I'm not certain exactly how that would work

I'm hoping that I am at least on the right track with this, but If i am completely off on this please help point me in the right direction. This may also be a very simple answer and I am really over thinking things.... if thats the case please be gentle, haha

I appreciate everyone's help, patience, and suggestions! I'll continue to update and ask questions as they come to me, and hopefully this will all lead to me posting a final home a/v distribution system in the near future!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 359
The matrix goes between your sources and the zone. Whether the "zone" contains just a TV or an AVR plus a display, group that equipment logically with the zone that it's attached to...

If you're thinking about a whole house audio / video setup, you'll want to skip the zone2/3 outputs on an AVR used in one zone. This will make things much more complicated and really won't buy you much...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Similar set up to mine.
HT room projector with 5.1
Living room TV with 5.1
Bedroom 1 TV (TV sound only)
Bedroom 4/Kids play room TV (TV sound only)
Outdoor TV (TV sound or zone 2 stereo outdoor speakers)
Kitchen/dining zone 3 ceiling speakers.
Everything is hardwired with cat6 and monoprice HDMI cables.

1 Onkyo 5009 9.1 does HT 5.1 and zone 2 & zone 3 audio. 1 HDMI to projector the other HDMI to monoprice 1x4 splitter that goes out to Bed 1, Bed 4 & Outdoor TV. ( 1 spare maybe to bedroom 2 when my son is old enough to have a TV in his room.)
The 5009 gets oppo blu-ray, panasonic 3D blu-ray( dual HDMI), 1st pay TV box, apple TV (optical to analog convertor box for zone2/3 audio)
1 Onkyo 509 5.1 does Liiving room 5.1. It gets pansonic 3D blu-ray (the other HDMI) & 2nd pay TV box.
All set up on Roomie.
It has a couple of limitations like you cant watch 2 different 3D blu-rays in the HT and Living at the same time but we dont really watch movies in the living room anyway.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-03-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

so rather than using the zone function of an AVR, it would be better to get 2 stereo amps to power the other 2 zones?
post #5 of 6 Old 10-03-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest787 View Post

so rather than using the zone function of an AVR, it would be better to get 2 stereo amps to power the other 2 zones?

The issue is the wiring for multiple zones. In order to take advantage of the zone2/zone3 outputs from an AVR, there has to be cabling from the AVR's location to those zones. Any pre-wiring done in the last decade for speakers will likely have speaker wire home run, or will rely on a cat5e cable for an A-Bus setup. You might find some smaller setups or DIY work where individual zones have been wired from a family room or other 'primary' A/V area. Those will work with a multi-zone AVR easily.

Now, if you only need 2-3 audio-only zones (not including your 5.1/7.1 setups), an AVR may be the cheapest solution, but it would be dedicated to "the zones" and placed wherever the cabling is centralized.

If there's no wiring, there are powerline or wireless systems available from NuVo and Sonos that can get the job done...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #6 of 6 Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 PM

Liked: 10
I was wondering about the same thing, just in planning stage, start new house in about 6 weeks

I making a HT room with 5.1, Speaker system, but using a 7.1 AVR. like an Onkyo 616 or Denon 1913 or 1713.

I want to have only music in the 3 or 4 other rooms, but I want at least another source in those rooms.

If I'm watching football, and my wife wants music in the kitchen or rec room how do I wire up and get that done without a lot of $$

I think I'm supposed to run 4wire speaker wire to basic volume on/off control then two wires to the speaker.

but how do get a different source?

To complicate what if I wanted to add a TV in a few of those?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page