HDMI Blue Ray, HD Cable question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

I'm very new at this, so please be patient with my dumb questions!

I have a Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver. It has 2 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. I recall reading that it also does upconversion, but not to 1080p, only to 1080i (which I think is lesser quality than 1080p?).

I have a Panasonic Blue Ray player...and Comcast (yuck) HD cable/DVR.

I have large Klipsch floorstanding speakers and a nice Klipsch center channel speaker.

I am in the market to buy a new 55" LED HD TV. I've heard that these flat/thin TVs do not have very good sound. So rather than relying on the TV speakers, I figure I would like to utilize the receiver/speaker system for the TV audio.

So, what is the best way to wire my Comcast cable box and the blue ray player? It seems like I should run the blue ray through the receiver via HDMI...but should I do the cable box also?

The fact that my receiver is a little older - is there any chance that it will degrade my picture quality from either the blue ray or the HD cable box? If I'm going to be degrading signals, then maybe I don't want to pass the video through the receiver and just want to go direct to the new TV and buy one of those sound bars?

Thanks in advance for your input/advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
HDMI for video from Blu-ray to TV and from cable box to TV. Digital audio (optical or coax digital) from Blu-ray to Yamaha and from cable box to Yamaha.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard View Post

HDMI for video from Blu-ray to TV and from cable box to TV. Digital audio (optical or coax digital) from Blu-ray to Yamaha and from cable box to Yamaha.

This is pretty much what I do in my living room. I use the HTIB for everything (Cable Box, DVR, Blu-ray). Coupled with my Harmony Remote, I don't even have to worry about it. cool.gif
post #4 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Follow-up stupid question...if I did it as you have suggested, and want to just listen to TV speakers, then fine...when I want to route the audio through the receiver, then do I need to go into the TV menu and turn the TV speakers off? When I want to turn the volume up/down, can I do that on the TV remote, or do I need to then do it on the receiver remote? While I want to take advantage of far superior sound, I also would like to keep it simple and clean and not have a bunch of switching and extra remotes, etc. Part of this is for my wife as her hearing isn't the greatest...and if it's "hard" to make the audio come through the receiver, she may not do it. Know what I mean?
post #5 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels_32 View Post

Thanks guys. Follow-up stupid question...if I did it as you have suggested, and want to just listen to TV speakers, then fine...when I want to route the audio through the receiver, then do I need to go into the TV menu and turn the TV speakers off? When I want to turn the volume up/down, can I do that on the TV remote, or do I need to then do it on the receiver remote? While I want to take advantage of far superior sound, I also would like to keep it simple and clean and not have a bunch of switching and extra remotes, etc. Part of this is for my wife as her hearing isn't the greatest...and if it's "hard" to make the audio come through the receiver, she may not do it. Know what I mean?

Like I said, I use my HTIB 99.9% of the time. But with the cable box going to the TV via HDMI, I'm pretty sure I get audio on the TV as well; I just have the volume at 0. It may depend on the cable box if it'll output over both, I'm not sure on that I guess

Some people don't like the universal remotes (or want to spend the $$$) but it'f take care of her having to mess around with multiple remotes. She hits the 'Watch TV' button and the remote turns on cable box, TV, receiver, etc. And it's smart enough to send the channel commands the cable box, volume commands to receive, etc. cool.gif
post #6 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Nick....Sorry - what is HTIB?
post #7 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, sorry, Home Theater In a Box. In my case, I bought my TV and got the "receiver" unit is my blu-ray player and all my speakers plug directly into it. Kinda hokey, but better than the TV speakers biggrin.gif
post #8 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels_32 View Post

If I had spent the money on a nice receiver & nice tower speakers, I would NEVER use the TV speakers. Ever. I would buy a decent universal remote to make the operation simpler.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-04-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

I hear ya! We are doing some re-arranging that will allow the big Klipsch units to sit beside the TV now (when we get the new TV). I just wasnt' sure if I shoudl run the HDMI from the cable box or the blu-ray player through the receiver, because I don't think the receiver does full 1080p? SOunds like the recommendation is no...run HDMI direct to the TV, and run just audio to the receiver.

Now the next decision is which TV....
post #10 of 10 Old 11-01-2012, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Ok guys...got my new TV last night and wired up as you recommended...HDMI from cable box to TV and HDMI from blu-ray to TV...then digital audio from each device to receiver. I noticed that when I watched TV, the audio/video was out of synch! Why would this be? How can I correct this?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page